Build Then Register Boat

SailingHome

Hi, all. It's that time in life again to build a small sailboat and see more of Asia. Maybe 35 feet or so.

I am new(ish) to Thailand. Who do I tal to (bribes still work here in TL?) to get to build it in my shed? How do I register it? Are there other laws? This is non-commercial but if I have to form a company to do it, I will.

Where can I start lookin for the laws and customs? Anyone else been through the process?

Thanks Much,

What do you want it built from? Wood, fibreglass,cement? What province or provinces are you willing to do this in? Also it is my understanding there is no tax on imported boats, so why not just purchase on off shore maybe Australia and have it delievered. Also have it registered offshore is necessary.

Are you looking to build a mono hull or multi? You say you will build again you have built a boat before? What did you build and where just out of curiousity.

I think people will find it difficult to assist you without more information.

Construction is a profession for which foreigners are strictly prohibited from doing (as with any work without a work permit, paid or unpaid).

As for the company, you can set one up and if you have the proper qualifications as well as 7 Thai employees you may be able to get a work permit as a manager or consultant, though you will be strictly prohibited from doing any of the actual work (even picking up a paintbrush in the vicinity of the work site can get you arrested).

You may consider building it in a work friendlier country and sailing it here.