Location Of Best Supermarket For Foreign Food

iannrob

Last time we were in Chiang Mai an Amercan expat tried to describe to me how to get to a supermarket that sold foreign food, I never found it. Any suggestions. We will be staying at the Royal Princess on Chang Klan Rd, so handy to there would be a bonus. Thanks

He's going to be closest to Kasem Store in the city, and Rimping across the river. Pretty sure you can just google map it to get yourself oriented. At the very least try typing in the addresses n names (as per respective websites), then going to google, n click 'maps' tab.

Walk over the Iron Bridge, turn right and a great Rimping Store is on the left. About 10 minutes walk from where you are. I find Rimping the best and that store the best of their 4 stores. Seem to be cheaper than TOPS and a wide choice

Good luck

I've done detailed price comparisons of Tops and the Rim Ping near the iron bridge. I'm not kidding -- a got a little bored and wrote down prices for the main items we buy and put together a little spreadsheet comparison. Obviously, I don't have enough to do with my time -- kind of like a border collie that's kept as a pet and has to resort to "herding" the kids and their stuffed animals.

Anyway, what I found was the Tops was the best for beer, water, soft drinks and cleaning supplies like laundry and dish detergent. Oh, the kitty litter is much cheaper at Tops, too. Rim Ping was cheaper for many of the "staple" food items, like macaroni, breakfast cereal, brown rice, coffee, tea, peanut butter, salad dressing. I didn't analyze produce because we buy that at the local Thai markets, but Rim Ping does have a better selection and quality of produce. They have things like parsley and celery, which can often be difficult to find in the Tops produce section. Meat was a toss-up. They tend to run specials on meat. Usually, I buy meat just once a month and visit both stores to check out prices and then go back to the first for things that are cheaper than in the second place I visit.

Kasem's is near our home, but frankly we just go there for their great bread or run if if we run out of peanut butter or something and don't want to make a trip to Rim Ping. I have yet to find anything at Kasem's (that I'd want to buy) that I can't get at Tops or Rim Ping and the prices at Kasem's are about 15% higher than the bigger grocery stores.

Walk over the Iron Bridge, turn right and a great Rimping Store is on the left. About 10 minutes walk from where you are. I find Rimping the best and that store the best of their 4 stores. Seem to be cheaper than TOPS and a wide choice

Good luck

The Iron bridge is on Loi Kroh just walk east on it and you will find the Iron Bridge.

Loi Kroh is the street that runs between McDonald's on one corner and Burger King on the other one.

As the previous poster said cross it turn right for about 50 meters and turn left you can't miss it.

Good luck

The Iron bridge is on Loi Kroh just walk east on it and you will find the Iron Bridge.

Loi Kroh is the street that runs between McDonald's on one corner and Burger King on the other one.

As the previous poster said cross it turn right for about 50 meters and turn left you can't miss it.

Thanks. I'm all orientated now. :)