Decent Lens For Landscape...

desi

Are there any landscape photographers out there?

I have the Canon Kiss and the 7D. My lens collection concentrates on close - medium range.

I'd like to venture into landscape but I don't know which lens to buy.

The price range would be around US$300+

Any advice would be welcomed - I'm a total newbie at landscape but Thailand is dragging me into it.

My observations about landscape photography is you need a really wide angle lens to capture dramatic images and at the same time, good telephotos to pull in that special section from far away. The two lens mentioned by Goshawk above are good for the wide angle, less than $500 lens and to that you might want to add something in the 70-300 mm range. There are a number of zoom lens out there that fall under $500.

One thing you should always remind yourself when you lust for that one more lens (and you will...). Owning a camera system that cost more than a lot of cars DOES NOT mean you can take better pictures. In other words, try to learn what you camera is capable of and you will generally take better pictures.

As Rich mentions above, ideally you need a wide and a long lens for landscapes. One of the most famous landscape photographers of the past generation, Galen Rowell, said he could have done the vast majority of his work with just two lenses - 24mm and 85mm.

That said, wide angle shots are probably more popular and easy to achieve. You might want to invest in a decent lightweight tripod so you can stop down and shoot at small apertures to maximize your depth of field. (Try to get near, mid range and far elements in your frame.)

I am using the 17-40mm on a Canon 5DMK2. I don't do a lot of landscape stuff these days, but here are a couple of samples @ 17mm. Here, here and here.

I have also used a 35mm for landscape stuff. Only works in certain situations, but can be effective as well. Here and here.

And one with the 85mm.

Certainly having a good wide-angle is useful. I just had my Sony HX100v away for a month to the repair shop and my Fuji HS-20 is also away now (some shit on the sensor or lens)....and using my old Fuji S7000 or S100fs I really miss the 24 mm wide end of the zoom.

A really good wide is also useful for making panoramas....especially the 360 deg. ones.

Many landscape shots are enhanced by judicious use of HDR too. :jap:

On the Kiss the Canon 10-22mm will do fine,

unfortunately it does not fit on the 7D.

huh..? it does fit the 7D.. i've used it on one.

but at over $800 (that's the price you pay if you want the word 'Canon' on your glass), it really doesn't justify its huge price tag.. when the far cheaper Tokina is equally well built and to be honest, a better sharper lens.

As Rich mentions above, ideally you need a wide and a long lens for landscapes. One of the most famous landscape photographers of the past generation, Galen Rowell, said he could have done the vast majority of his work with just two lenses - 24mm and 85mm.

That said, wide angle shots are probably more popular and easy to achieve. You might want to invest in a decent lightweight tripod so you can stop down and shoot at small apertures to maximize your depth of field. (Try to get near, mid range and far elements in your frame.)

I am using the 17-40mm on a Canon 5DMK2. I don't do a lot of landscape stuff these days, but here are a couple of samples @ 17mm. Here, here and here.

I have also used a 35mm for landscape stuff. Only works in certain situations, but can be effective as well. Here and here.

And one with the 85mm.

Great photos! I also checked your photos in Flickr, great stuff!

One comment from you in Flickr:

"Doug. Sorry, no EXIF, I still shoot film!

I can tell you this was taken with a 24mm lens, on 100VS slide film using a 2-stop ND grad on the sky. Something like 8 secs @ f16."

Do you still shoot film ?

:D :jap: :D

And one with the 85mm.

Great photos! I also checked your photos in Flickr, great stuff!

One comment from you in Flickr:

"Doug. Sorry, no EXIF, I still shoot film!

I can tell you this was taken with a 24mm lens, on 100VS slide film using a 2-stop ND grad on the sky. Something like 8 secs @ f16."

Do you still shoot film ?

:D :jap: :D

Thanks.

No, I haven't shot film in years. (That comment was from 2005.)

I am looking at getting back into film though. Hope to get a lightweight 4x5 next year.

On the Kiss the Canon 10-22mm will do fine,

unfortunately it does not fit on the 7D.

huh..? it does fit the 7D.. i've used it on one.

Sorry I was under the impresson that the EF-s lenses were not compatible with the 7D body.

The EF-s 10-22mm is a very nice lens with almost no barrel or pinchshion distortion.