Uk Citizen Trying To Get Schengen Visa For Thai Girlfriend

Can someone help??

I am a UK citizen who lives in the UK but I work and spend most of my time outside of the UK currently Brussels. I have an apartment in Brussels and it seemed sense to get a Schengen visa for my Thai girlfriend so she can come visit and stay with me here as a tourist instead of me having to do all the travelling all the time. I was told to get the Schengen visa I needed a to get a formal obligation form signed proving that I can provide financial support. I got bank statements, company accounts and my apartment rental agreement and went to the town hall and was not even allowed to hand the forms in as I was not a Belgian resident (when I asked how long this takes I was told anything from 6 months plus) . I had no reason to do this before because as a UK Citizen and supposedly part of the EU I can work in other EU states freely. Has anyone else had similar problems or have advice for me. Before the end of the year I shall be finishing in Belgium and starting a new project in Hungary or Germany most likely are these countries harder or easier with my circumstances to get a Schengen visa??

Any advice or help anyone can give me will be truly appreciated

From DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED

Through this pledge of financial support, a Belgian national, or a foreign national resident in Belgium, acts as a guarantor for your period of residence, your return journey and your medical costs. The guarantor should ask for the pledge of financial support (also called Annex 3bis) at the municipality (commune/gemeente) of his/her place of residence. The guarantor does not have to be the issuer of the invitation.

(My emphasis)

Do you know a Belgian national or resident who will act as guarantor?

If she has her own finances and does not need support from you then no guarantor is required.

This does seem an odd requirement to me, and I'm sure that other Schengen states do not require a financial guarantee from a resident.. What if you lived in Thailand with your girlfriend and both wanted to visit Belgium? There must be a simple way round it, but I haven't the time to search for one now.

You need to get the visa from the first Schengen country you land in. I've done it ( I'm a Brit) with my wife ( same surname) to France using the French embassy in Chiang Mai. We stayed a few days in Paris then went on to Switzerland. Usual stuff, finance, health insurance etc. It took about 4 weeks and was free because we were officially married! ( Unlike the UK where I have to pay ?? 4,500 baht!!)

May be think of flying to Paris, maybe stay one or two days to establish it as your first port of call then get the train to Brussels .That way you get a French Schengen visa. All French visas are done through their BKK embassy I think so the rules should be the same. No problem about residency etc.

Since you are not officially married they may want more assurance that she will return- a job/ house here, return ticket etc.

Good luck