New Holden Commodore Spotted In Bangkok

asiancup2007

I saw this Holden Commodore coming out of the Landmark Hotel car park on Sukhumvit

earlier this month. It definitely had Holden badges, you can make out the one at the back

and on the alloys.

I understand Commodores aren't re-badged for sale in Thailand any more

and therefore it would have to be imported. What's the tax for imports. How

much would it have cost in total?

What model is it? What about parts? Who in their right mind...................

Sorry about the poor photos but It was raining and I was caught off guard.

They were taken on my HTC desire HD.

post-50545-0-31638800-1316515836_thumb.j

post-50545-0-09977400-1316515879_thumb.j

post-50545-0-36036700-1316516272_thumb.j

OZ made cars above 3000cc are excepted from 80% Importduty, thus Chev TH used to sell (2003-2008?) Chev/Holden Lamuna or something similar, 3500cc at 1,9 mill baht. Sales were not great, so dont know if they want to go similar route again

As it is an Embassy car, or perhaps a privately owned car of an Embassy staff member, Import duty is not an issue. The Diplomatic plate is clearly visible.

OZ made cars above 3000cc are excepted from 80% Importduty, thus Chev TH used to sell (2003-2008?) Chev/Holden Lamuna or something similar, 3500cc at 1,9 mill baht. Sales were not great, so dont know if they want to go similar route again

Yeah, pretty clever of the Thai's to limit the import duty benefit to 3,000cc and up only - that means they still pay ludicrous excise tax, and big capacity engines are very quickly becoming a thing of the past anyway - especially if they don't carry an exotic supercar's name, or at least come from a prestigious German marque ;)

On the other hand, Oz only has a paltry 5% import duty so Thailand didn't get to save too much on their exports..

As it is an Embassy car, or perhaps a privately owned car of an Embassy staff member, Import duty is not an issue. The Diplomatic plate is clearly visible.

Correct, but they would have also skirted excise tax, making it cost about the same as an Altis. Lucky for them :)

Correct, but they would have also skirted excise tax, making it cost about the same as an Altis. Lucky for them :)

Absolutely correct and they probably bought it VAT free in Australia as well. Only a medium spec car which probably didn't incur LCT though.

The ute (pick-up) on one2car site is on Au Victoria plates.

Aust has a Trade Agreement with Thailand. Have been trying to find the benefits of this for a while, web sites very confusing.

Kata, does the import duty on Au made cars above 3000cc apply at 20%??.

The ute (pick-up) on one2car site is on Au Victoria plates.

Aust has a Trade Agreement with Thailand. Have been trying to find the benefits of this for a while, web sites very confusing.

Kata, does the import duty on Au made cars above 3000cc apply at 20%??.

as I recall OZ made cars above 3000cc are free of importduty, but attracts 50% excicetax, reduced to 45% if E20 compatible. an OZ made hybrid car above 3000cc would be free of any duty/tax, only 7% VAT

Not valid for pickups, and probably not suv on frame/chassie

In return TH made cars less than 3000cc and utes, attract very low importduty to OZ

OZ protects OZ car manufactorers, TH protects TH manufactorers, both have advantages

• 2 months later...

Not on Thai Plates i think, ..Off Guard, No Wonder , the sight of something different here is a Shock.:o

exactly, which sometimes pushes me towards buying the underdog brand but because tier1 honda and toyota can enjoy a higher resale irrespective of whether their offering is dated relative to competition, their dominance is ensured and perpetuated....shame because i even thought about the lumina shipped in from thailand, aus which isnt part of asean still has a FTA which includes cars, dont understand why they dont at the very least export cars..holden is gm like hungry jacks is burger king. shame they dont have more variety because i agree with you completely when you have a unique ride in thailand you definately stand out.

Not so good when driving on the highways for the coppers, unusual cars and red/bright colours make it easy for the predators to single you out, like a wounded wilderbeast...sometimes good to be part of the pack ;)

Not on Thai Plates i think, ..Off Guard, No Wonder , the sight of something different here is a Shock.:o

exactly, which sometimes pushes me towards buying the underdog brand but because tier1 honda and toyota can enjoy a higher resale irrespective of whether their offering is dated relative to competition, their dominance is ensured and perpetuated....shame because i even thought about the lumina shipped in from thailand, aus which isnt part of asean still has a FTA which includes cars, dont understand why they dont at the very least export cars..holden is gm like hungry jacks is burger king. shame they dont have more variety because i agree with you completely when you have a unique ride in thailand you definately stand out.

Not so good when driving on the highways for the coppers, unusual cars and red/bright colours make it easy for the predators to single you out, like a wounded wilderbeast...sometimes good to be part of the pack ;)

The Holden Commodore was imported from Aus to TH and sold as the Chevy Lumina from 2003 to 2007 - though a lot of the "2007's" were actually 2005's and 2006's :whistling:

Whan last sold here they were 1.89M for the "S" variant, and 1.99M for the "LTZ" - used they seem to go for about 650-800K now.

Anyways, we're talking about a car that's soon to be discontinued forever even in Australia, so no chance of a revival here...

The Holden Commodore was imported from Aus to TH and sold as the Chevy Lumina from 2003 to 2007 - though a lot of the "2007's" were actually 2005's and 2006's :whistling:

Whan last sold here they were 1.89M for the "S" variant, and 1.99M for the "LTZ" - used they seem to go for about 650-800K now.

Anyways, we're talking about a car that's soon to be discontinued forever even in Australia, so no chance of a revival here...

I think the Commodore will be available in Australia for a while yet:

http://theage.drive....1208-1ok3x.html

But agree we won't be seeing them in Thailand beyond embassy cars.

Agreed, the zuki vitara and mitsu pajero were a gen behind in the 90s but sold as current years, also have to be familiar with facelift tells if buying pre or post facelift for example the 350z model year not always conforming with listed year. The commodore imported was nice but steep, the current price makes it a great 2nd hand value, id get that over a 93-95 accord v6 because i like rwd and its already taken enough of a depreciation hit. back in 2005 i was hoping to see some monaros :D, assuming the servicing at LOS chev and ford for the lumina, ford territory and other cars which are imported in small quantaties will still be a long wait with limited stock if any on hand.

Edited by caphant

I think the Commodore will be available in Australia for a while yet:

http://theage.drive....1208-1ok3x.html

But agree we won't be seeing them in Thailand beyond embassy cars.

If you're a Commodore fan, you've got a max. of 6 more years - after that (or even before) it's either gone completely, or has been replaced by something that bears little resemblance except for maybe the name.

The non-prestige D-segment has shed a massive 25% market share this year alone losing ground as people either downsize or switch to SUV's. It's not just Aus, it's a global trend. If it weren't for Aus Gov't subsidies and fleet buying, and some emotional industrial action earlier this year, it's highly likely the VY program would have already been scrapped - private sales alone just can't make a business case for it, and the trade unions won't be getting their way next time..

The Cruze is already hot on the heels of the Commodore for sales, and will probably overtake it as GM Australia's best seller by H2 2012. Not long after the Malibu and Colorado7 (Trailblazer) launch in Oz (end of 2012), the Commodore will quickly start fading from everyone's memories.

At this stage no-one knows what will replace the VF Commodore in 2018 (if indeed it gets replaced) - but it definitely won't be an Ozzie-made RWD V6/V8 D-segment car...

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Unless the system has changed, the Embassy owning the vehicle can be identified by the two small numerals on the left. I can't pick it from the photo but I think the Australian Embassy is 04 (it runs in alphabetic order, US is 86?).. The four numerals to the right indicate the rank at the Embassy - Ambassador 0001 and so forth. The car in the picture is a high number so I am guessing it is general motor pool or privately owned diplomatic staff.

The first vehicle I drove in Thailand was a HR ute and then graduated to 186 Premier sedans.

Back in the day, Asoke Motors were the Holden agents and the wife of the owner was Australian. Through some slick marketing, the Holden was the prestige car of choice for Thais and the Benz was considered only used by nouveau-riche Chinese. All the Holden air conditioners were after market installations and caused big problems, not only with the A/C but engine overheating.

A bunch of Holdens were imported for use on SMEC projects building, mostly east-west, highways. This was considered more difficult as they always crossed mountain ranges. These were all left with the Highways Department but there a fewer survivors every year.

I seen a white V8 or it might of been a 6 with a big exaust, A Thai guy was driving it and it was nice, lowered, and had nice rims.

But for the price they are just pieces of crap for what they go for. But I would prob get a VL if I can find one in good condition just for a fun car as I love them.