Superbike Tyres

rizla

For Pirelli, Show Pow on On Nut probably has the best range, and when I had a set of Pirelli fitted recently, I can say their service is extremely professional.

Proper equipment, and the guy who did the fitting was made to show me each bolt they had marked with a paint pen so I could check for any movement. I watched them fit, and they torqued every bolt.

Not sure if they're cheapest, but I was happy with the price and the service.

Cheers.

http://www.tyrethail...x?cat=03A&src=0

Read very positive reviews of the Metzeler M5's

Thanks for the heads up, apparently they grip really well but they dont last long..

Looking for , michelin Pilot Powers or 2ct`s, or road 3`s....the metz M5 does win hands down on the looks front though, but as they say looks can be wrong at times..

Or if anyone can convince me into the pirelli`s, i need great handling in wet/dry...fast warm up...very good milage, and harder in the center of the tire, for that reason..I`m not tracking, but just day or weekend runs..

190/55-17 zr (75w)

and

120/70-17 zr (58)

Oh, and cheap..:rolleyes:

Late extra, just saw a report with picks of a guy with 8000miles up on the Metz k3...wow

Edited by rizla

I have a pilot road 2 for the front, it is a good all rounder but it doesn't bite the road when braking on emergency, it will slide, unfortunately durability and performance do not come together, so I will go back to power 2ct for the front for the next round.

As for the road 3, I am almost sold by the new water treading technology, but then, a little research shows that a good wet tyre, isn't a good dry tyre, especially on some hot day in Thailand, take a look. And the front got shredded. Whole story can be read in the fz6 link. So you may want to use road 2 for durability as it is proven.

post-85014-0-36751200-1316701980_thumb.j

post-85014-0-73614200-1316702467_thumb.j

Edited by Tywais
Link to another forum deleted

I have a pilot road 2 for the front, it is a good all rounder but it doesn't bite the road when braking on emergency, it will slide, unfortunately durability and performance do not come together, so I will go back to power 2ct for the front for the next round.

As for the road 3, I am almost sold by the new water treading technology, but then, a little research shows that a good wet tyre, isn't a good dry tyre, especially on some hot day in Thailand, take a look. And the front got shredded. Whole story can be read in the fz6 link. So you may want to use road 2 for durability as it is proven.

Thanks for those shocking pics, (you know what i mean), bit of a mess that road 3..

God, it`s a hard choice these days for tyres, so many options to choose from...the good old days were easy, avon or esso for wear, and dunlops for grip..:lol:

The problem for me to a point is i`m not in the mango, i dont know the tyre shops, there seems to be a limited choice here....best from a bad bunch kind of thing...

Where do you get your power 2ct`s from, i was looking for power ones, but they are like hens teeth here..older model.

Was thinking of posting a set in from the states, all in 8500/9000 bht but what will the customs charge me via USPS..

You mention the road 2 slides under hard braking, do you have abs? just wondering if abs front and rear will reduce this...regards

P.S - i hope the guys head aint in that helmet on pic 2 ...

Edited by rizla

No ABS, it just does not bite like the 2ct, which is of softer compound, the rd 2 has lots of rubber and groves, that's why it does not bite hard, it will skid, worse still for road 3, well too many grooves.

I have done some research and my riding style is hard when the road permits, so my next round of tyres will be 2ct for the front and rd 2 for the rear, perfect match for good braking and hard abusing acceleration.

Forget about importing tyres, just too much hassle, pirelli and michelin dealers have enough good tyres for most applications, Michelin agent is Ek Paiboon, check back older post on michelin power 2ct,I think there is a google map attached.

Another guy has done 3500 (I think is mile) on road 3, and the groove is badly deformed, I think Michelin Pilot Road 3 has big flaws, they have probably tried and tested in the wet, but not enough in the hot sunny day, maybe soon they will be recalling back all the rd 3.

post-85014-0-50029600-1316745957_thumb.j

Edited by Cobrabiker

thanks for the vids, i really want the 2ct`s but none to be had here, i phoned michelin hq in bangkok and they gave me the same number on here for their one and only retail outlet ...they only have the power pure or power one, which will scub off in no time....UNLESS you can hook me up with somebody else who sells michelin..

I`m now having to take what i can find, possibly the road tech z8 (metz), but i really want pilot power or the 2cts..:(

• 2 weeks later...

You may also put a pilot power in front and a pilot road 2 rear, these are good in the wet too, Bkk agent 02-222-7535

That number is for michelin top retailer in thailand....i phoned them again on the 2ct`s , no have, only have power pures and power ones...

Rang michelin head office, and they phoned around their stockists for me, only have the 2ct for the front BUT not the back, they did say they could order them for me , 3-4 months delivery....what a load of <deleted>....and they confirmed that the do not manufacture big bike tyres in thailand..

After educating them, more like spouting off, about the large bigbike market here exploding with more genuine bike suppliers selling.....i kindly thanked them and told them they need to wake up or they will and are losing sales..Hmmm..

So only really have the metzellers or goodyear, pirelli to choose from...TIT :(

As for the road 3, I am almost sold by the new water treading technology, but then, a little research shows that a good wet tyre, isn't a good dry tyre, especially on some hot day in Thailand

For a very good wet tire and a not bad dry tire, check out Pirelli Angels.

As for the road 3, I am almost sold by the new water treading technology, but then, a little research shows that a good wet tyre, isn't a good dry tyre, especially on some hot day in Thailand

Everyone I know that's tried the Angels has been disappointed by how easy they slide and poor feedback, which one friend described as "wooden"...

0000-Pirelli-Angel-ST-Sport-Touring-Rear-Tire---.jpg

They're probably fine as a touring tire but not a top choice if you like to lean your bike into the corners a bit.

Edited by BigBikeBKK
  • Like 1

Everyone I know that's tried the Angels has been disappointed by how easy they slide and poor feedback, which one friend described as "wooden"...

They're probably fine as a touring tire but not a top choice if you like to lean your bike into the corners a bit.

Thanks for the heads up,

real people reports always mean more than the hype...i will give the Metzeler Z8`s a try...not to bad at 12000 bhat a set...i dont track..only fast road and long runs..

I have a set of metzler Z8's on my bmw r1100s and they perform very well including in the wet, but I do not push as hard into the corners as I used to, they are a very good option for sports touring bikes, as for wear too early to tell yet but have put 2500km on this set with little wear showing.

I tried Metzlers on my ST1100 tourer back in Oz but the hot sunny weather caused....cracking(crazing)....of the sidewalls. One bike shop called them Ozone cracks! Not sure I'd try Metzlers here in LOS.

I ride the new Lifan 250B which is a mini-touring size. Not a bike you expect to ride hard, but the factory tires are like riding on marbles and braking sucks. Would like to replace now (new bike but so?) with a bigger boot in back (soft, don't care about milage) and same rubber upfront. Any suggestions? I do like to take it over to the pipes and as is, not a good idea. I am in Chiang Rai and have no idea of who to buy from.

Can PM me with suggestions

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the heads up,

real people reports always mean more than the hype...i will give the Metzeler Z8`s a try...not to bad at 12000 bhat a set...i dont track..only fast road and long runs..

FWIW I put a set of Pirelli Angels on my GSXR for a long tour to Malaysia and was pleasantly surprised by their performance.

Sure, they're not a track tire or road racing tire, but for sport touring they seem a good choice. Long lasting and decent grip in wet.

532350_10151450431415710_508210709_23721193_1176557419_n.jpg

Edited by BigBikeBKK

You may also put a pilot power in front and a pilot road 2 rear, these are good in the wet too, Bkk agent 02-222-7535

That number is for michelin top retailer in thailand....i phoned them again on the 2ct`s , no have, only have power pures and power ones...

Rang michelin head office, and they phoned around their stockists for me, only have the 2ct for the front BUT not the back, they did say they could order them for me , 3-4 months delivery....what a load of <deleted>....and they confirmed that the do not manufacture big bike tyres in thailand..

After educating them, more like spouting off, about the large bigbike market here exploding with more genuine bike suppliers selling.....i kindly thanked them and told them they need to wake up or they will and are losing sales..Hmmm..

So only really have the metzellers or goodyear, pirelli to choose from...TIT sad.gif

I tried to order metzler z8 - no stock also

this really is a joke

So only really have the metzellers or goodyear, pirelli to choose from...TIT sad.gif

this really is a joke

Try tyrethailand.com

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

this really is a joke

Try tyrethailand.com

they are the company I tried - sold them all to the police

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running Pirelli's. Front Corsa III and the Rear Corsa. The tyres stick like shit to a blanket in the dry (lean as far as you want) and are okay in the wet. Couldn't get them here, so brought them in.

Sent from my iPhone 3 using ThaiVisa app

Edited by Garry