What Is 1 Drink ?

Stan42

When it comes down to how much do you drink? It's about how many "drinks" do you have. I've been searching the internet but haven't come up with a definate answer, so....

What counts as 1 drink?

Please use the metric system: How many litres of Let's say Chang beer (6.4%), Whiskey (35%), Wine (16%) counts as 1 drink?

I believe the current terminology is units, from what I remember a unit is defined as, a half pint of beer (10 ounces thinks its about 330ml) or a shot of spirits (25ml?).

I seem to recall it was recommended your weekly intake shouldnt exceed more than 21 units per week.

Dont know if the above is still current or been updated.

In my opinion whether you drink 5 beers a bottle of wine of a dozen shots of vodka a day is unimportant really. Its your approach to alcohol you should be questioning.

Trying to justify your use in terms of units or measures is just masking the reality.

In my opinion whether you drink 5 beers a bottle of wine of a dozen shots of vodka a day is unimportant really. Its your approach to alcohol you should be questioning.

Trying to justify your use in terms of units or measures is just masking the reality.

"I CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

IMHO understanding the amount one is drinking is very important for people who are (still) able to manage their drinking - it helps to understand the reality, rather than mask it, but I agree it is only one factor.

Or in my case I can't count that high...or more often can't remember...

Or in my case I can't count that high...or more often can't remember...

I never thought I had had too much when I could remember how much I'd had - "one more won't hurt"; but of course I've no idea how often I've said that...

SC

Though the doctors do say that the safe limit is 24 or so units a week, they don't say, as far as I know, how many weeks or years you can maintain that level of drinking safely, or if it changes as you get older.

Sometimes I remind myself that alcohol is a physically addictive drug, in that sense the same as opiates, rather than a Martini advert.

Years ago I went to a government program which counselled me on how to drink safely.

They told me to drink no more than 35 units a week. I was very happy that they said I could drink safely. After the first week I had drunk 280 units.

32 was for a large bottle of spirits

1 for a shot or glass of wine

2 for a pint of beer

3 for a can of strong beer ie special brew

I never realised that I was an alcoholic then. Of course for an alcoholic no amount is safe.