Importing A Musical Instrument: Duty Payable?

Mike1955

Hi All. I hope to bring across (by DHL) my much loved saxophone, from USA to Chiang Mai. I certainly don't want to pay import duty if I can avoid it. The saxophone apparently doesn't count as part of household effects. Any advice out there? Also at customs evaluates the value of the instrument, should duty be payable. Oh, and how? Thanks all, Mike

DHL? Yes absolutely you will pay import duty. The only way to avoid import duty is by registered Airmail with no insurance. My friend was recently charged 2000 Baht import duty for 4 used CD's that were sent to him FedEx!

Well there is another way to avoid import duty, and that is to simply have someone bring it over for you should a friend or family member be coming to visit any time soon.

From Irish tin whistles to jumbo sized acoustics, travellers the world over are taking their precious instruments with them through international borders at zero cost. It's only posting the bloody things that'll gets you stung!

Side note: Oh, btw Mike1955, when you do eventually get your sax over here, make sure you don't entertain anyone other than those within the confines of your own 4 walls, otherwise you might just get banged up while your deportation papers are being prepared ;)

Aitch

DHL? Yes absolutely you will pay import duty. The only way to avoid import duty is by registered Airmail with no insurance. My friend was recently charged 2000 Baht import duty for 4 used CD's that were sent to him FedEx!

I agree. One way that's worked for me is to have things sent to my wife using a Thai language shipping label. All the people in your home country need to see in English is the word THAILAND at the bottom of the shipping label. Never had a problem sending things via my wife.