Loy Kratong In Sukothai

Mr Red

We are returning to BKK in a week, and my wife's family has (with our approval) booked us on a tour to Sukothai for Loy Kratong. Looks like a good tour, and it is someplace we haven't been. Has anyone been there and perhaps has some pointers or pros/cons?

Was there a couple of years ago, mainly to see the Wat Mahathat,

IMHO the little Sukhothai airport is one of the most welcoming with it's beautiful flowered lawns and terracing.

There are a lot of temple complexes close to each other and a great museum with both Khmer and Thai culture.

We stayed at the Sukhothai Resort, not expensive and convenient, we were the only ones there so had the place to ourselves.

You'll have a great time, :o

sukhothaiWat.gif

You'll have a great time. You can rent a bike and look around the park if you like. I don't know if you are going to Si Satchanalai (nicknamed Si Sa) as well, but imo the Old Sukhothai structures were more interesting. Still, Si Sa is in a very foresty area and has an amazing atmosphere.

Your wife's family has done the right thing by booking a tour, as unless the hotel offers them there is no other decent option. (I could expand greatly on this point, but I'll keep that wound closed). I saw a farang with a rented car at Si Sa, so if I go back, I'll just do that.

There is 1 ATM in the city centre, near the 7-Eleven. There's a decent photography shop there too. I didn't get much time to look around as I only spent 1 day in Si Sa and the other in the historical park.

We were there a couple of years ago for Loy Kratong and really enjoyed it. There are shows and displays from late afternoon until late and it has a real family atmosphere. All the lit kratongs on the water in front of the wats are an impressive site. It gets real busy at night but it's great to just wander around and watch everything.

We hardly saw any Ferrangs in the three or four days we were there.

In the day, hire a bike like the others said and simply explore. It's worth going to the smaller sites outside the main complex, everything is well signposted. The main area is alot less tranquil for Loy Kratong due to all the food and market stalls that are set up.

I was there for Loy Krathong a couple of years ago. After watching the parades at the historical park, we went to SawanKalok, just a short drive away. They have boat races on the river there in the afternoon. It was rather fun watching the different teams paddleing away!

Thanks, all. Sounds like a neat place pretty devoid of falangs -- looking forward to it. Word is that I will be the only falang on the tour and they provided a warning that I would have to pay an extra 200 baht for entry fees. TIT.