Cat Cdma Security

up-country_sinclair

Hi

On the wireless router in my home I use WPA 2 to protect against someone hacking my signal--either for piggybacking or more nefarious intent. When I'm away from home I frequently use a CAT CDMA dongle, and I wonder if the signal could be intercepted between the dongle and the tower. If so, should I refrain from doing internet banking with the dongle?

Or am I just being paranoid? :ph34r:

Thanks.

UCS

A Google on "CDMA Security Issues" provides lots of information on the subject and at least 2 possible attacks have been identified in theory,

However, as you are using CAT CDMA you are probably in a remote location, and you have to ask yourself "what is the possibility of somebody in your village with the expertise and equipment sitting there 24 hours a day just hoping you will log on to your bank account so as they can capture the details. Then of course they would have to get past other security issues such as Phone verification using one time passwords, or on screen keyboards etc.

No wireless security is safe, and in many cases even wired security cannot be guaranteed, but for this particular vulnerability I think the risk is minimal compared to other ways of getting your data such as key loggers etc.