Sending A Package To Us Forces Address

Greenside

I've been asked by a friend to send a piece of photo equipment to him in Afghanistan. He's with the US forces and so technically the address is the same as a US domestic one although apparently he can't get delivery by UPS/Fedex and I assume that rules EMS out as well. It's fairly delicate and worth several hundred dollars - can anyone suggest the most reliable and cost effective method?

It takes a fairly long time to get something from Thailand to Iraq or Afghanistan by post.

You can EMS it, but that will only apply for the trip from Thailand to the U.S.; after that it will be put in with all of the other mail in snail mode.

In Iraq, most of my mail coming from the States took 2-4 weeks.

It will take longer if he is away from a major base.

My ex sent me a book (I didn't know she mailed it) from Thailand to Iraq once.

I seen her for two R&R's before the book arrived.

By far, I think the best way is for someone to hand carry items.

Get him to find someone that is headed out for an R&R.

Get their mailing address and EMS it to them, then they can deliver it to them upon their return.

If he can't find anyone, let me know and I will try to help out as I have friends there now that are always rotating in/out on R&R's.

Many thanks for your help.

In the event, the cost and time of getting it from here to the US by courier tips the balance in favour of buying a new one in the US and shipping it by mail to his APO address.

Absolutely. If it is not available at a cheaper price via the military exchange service, then buying if from B&H and having them ship it would better. But like Poedogg suggested, having a buddy bring it back would be way, way better. You friend could buy it on line and have it delivered to the US address where the R&R guy/gal is going and have it arrive before they do.