Thai Student Nazi Dress-Up Day Causes Outrage

webfact

Since more of the caricatures on the 3 story tall banner have been discerned- John Lennon and Mr Bean among others . I think we can safely say the entire fiasco is a misunderstanding and the students only meant to satirize the cult of fame with, IMO undertones of lamenting the glorification of war.

Too many are so quick to jump on them for either being ignorant or insensitive.

Do others really think the parade was satire? I do not. If it was, why didn't the school issue a statement to that effect?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick to the topic, Nazis in a school.

Which Nazi was spotted in a school?

I believe Hitler attended as a ceremonial guest. Oops, my bad, that was just his image on a banner. Almost didn't recognize him with his tongue being stuck out as it was - some people just have no sense of decency and etiquette.

Edited by MaxYakov

well said about Tolerance/Intolerance

I guess it was intolerance towards the Jews that fuelled the attrocities against them.............do we never learn..........what about a little understanding, compassion, and forgiveness.........it would appear the Israeli Embassy has the intelligence to realise to persecute these teachers and school children serves no purpose ..........not some on Tvisa who continue to strive to turn an innocent minor error of judgement into a Major international incident........all to support an increase in their level of 'outrage'

Since more of the caricatures on the 3 story tall banner have been discerned- John Lennon and Mr Bean among others . I think we can safely say the entire fiasco is a misunderstanding and the students only meant to satirize the cult of fame with, IMO undertones of lamenting the glorification of war.

Do others really think the parade was satire? I do not. If it was, why didn't the school issue a statement to that effect?

Wouldn't want to embarrass the 'educated farang' by virtually calling them ignorant and uneducated

If it was satire, which it may have been based on the banner with what is believed to be political figures, the apology probably would have still been the same as the point was that they didn't understand the display would be offensive. I think it is a little bit much for them to recognize that sometimes it is OK to use Hitler as a comparison or in jokes ... then it would still needed to be explained more that some references are only ok if they come from certain people. Better just say sorry, we didn't intend to and didn't realize it would upset people.

I guess it was intolerance towards the Jews that fuelled the attrocities against them.............do we never learn..........what about a little understanding, compassion, and forgiveness.........it would appear the Israeli Embassy has the intelligence to realise to persecute these teachers and school children serves no purpose ..........not some on Tvisa who continue to strive to turn an innocent minor error of judgement into a Major international incident........all to support an increase in their level of 'outrage'

Actually this a good case for the need for intolerance as that is what the original Holocaust was predicated on as being an innocent "internal affair" of the Germans, until it overflowed onto the rest of the world stage that is.. Intolerance of insensitivity and ignorance is the theme of the day..

The parade was not satirical (enough), but it should have been made to be so - hence the 'outrage' IMHO. Unfortunately, the satirical element (the 'Nazism' banner) was largely ignored.

I don't think the school had enough control or judgment of the situation to issue anything very astute on short notice. Even if the Director had seen the banner it's questionable in my mind that she would have recognized it as satire. You have read the Director's 'apology' letter, of course. It speaks for itself.

Actually this a good case for the need for intolerance as that is what the original Holocaust was predicated on as being an innocent "internal affair" of the Germans, until it overflowed onto the rest of the world stage that is.. Intolerance of insensitivity and ignorance is the theme of the day..

Your point would be more valid if this was not a school day parade, but rather a bunch of people got together, dressed as Nazis and eradicated a few people they chose not to tolertate

As the latter did not happen, I view this as a very minor incident.......you are of course welcome to see similarities between this parade and the foundation of the Nazi party resulting in the attrocities that followed

Because they have zero idea what satire is?

Edited by metisdead
Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes.

I believe the extermination of Jews (and many other groups) by Hitler and his Third Reich went well beyond the definition of intolerance. One can be intolerant without resorting to murder, no?

Your point would be more valid if this was not a school day parade, but rather a bunch of people got together, dressed as Nazis and eradicated a few people they chose not to tolertate

As the latter did not happen, I view this as a very minor incident.......you are of course welcome to see similarities between this parade and the foundation of the Nazi party resulting in the attrocities that followed

I see so you've learned nothing from history then? Your idea of the need to take action only follows a few murders of innocent people? I tend to be more proactive just like I won't wait for one of my children to abuse or harm another child before I offer them guidance and correction on how to treat other people..

My point is valid in any case...

Edited by WarpSpeed

A because the School admins were not in on the joke , The students picked the theme as is customary did not inform the faculty?.

And are now cowed by the ensuing zionist led PC outrage at the audacity to satirize such a horrendous chapter in history ?

How else to explain the other characters on the the 3 story tall banner ,obviously the centerpiece of the entire parade and exercise? <deleted>, MR BEAN ?? Prince Charles..?

C'mon..

I don't know who 'they' are you're referring to, but somebody at that school knew what satire was and was pretty good at it. Remember the pesky banner? It just probably wasn't the Director or any of the faculty that attended that day. Someone in a post mentioned that school faculty Farangs avoided these events. The satirical banner would not have been enough to turn around the 'outrage' in any event.

Or certainly a different concept of it, merely a cultural difference, (much like losing face ? ) and it is now deepening to a chasm with the Wiesenthal-nyzers milking it for every satang.

]

I see so you've learned nothing from history then? Your idea of the need to take action only follows a few murders of innocent people? I tend to be more proactive just like I won't wait for one of my children to abuse or harm another child before I offer them guidance and correction on how to treat other people..

Yes I knew you would take that stance, lets see now, couple of reported sightings of the Nazi swastika, in two unrelated cases, at opposite ends of a country, in what say the last 30 years, with no follow up, no every day wearing of the swastikas, excepting a handful of people who think it is cool.........I guess your proactive approach and the thought for your children means you will now be leaving Thailand due to your prediction and fear of the forthcoming events many others like myself simply refuse to acknowledge

Your point may be valid in some cases.........like many you have a point, just are not aware of the appropriate application criteria.......

Edited by 473geo

Yes I knew you would take that stance, lets see now, couple of reported sightings of the Nazi swastika, in two unrelated cases, at opposite ends of a country, in what say the last 30 years, with no follow up, no every day wearing of the swastikas, excepting a handful of people who think it is cool.........I guess your proactive approach and the thought for your children means you will now be leaving Thailand due to your prediction and fear of the forthcoming events many others like myself simply refuse to acknowledge

Your point may be valid in some cases.........like many you have a point, just are not aware of the appropriate application criteria.......

Yes of course you always know what stance is to be taken? Could it be because you know the senselessness of your strawman argument as you've heard it all before from so many others :whistling: ..

No actually I'm leaving Thailand for countless reasons long before this topic came up not the least of which is getting them a respectable education it's just one more reinforcement of that decision on top of a rather large pile.

Besides the education they'll get back home which will include respect for the holocaust and it's victims the opportunites abound for those like myself with intiative and vision..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I would explain the Nazi motif was chosen as it is smart looking, distinct, fun to make and wear and resembles the over the top style various Asian armies prefer? Look at Burmese generals that look like Austin Powers villains in costume.

Thais like uniforms.

I am the FIRST to jump on Thais for infuriating habits, but I cannot believe ANYONE thinks they were actually honoring Nazis- that is as bad an insult as outright slurs.

Edited by TigerWan

Hitler too first used words to convince Germany of the need to be intolerant of those who were perceived to be a threat to the German people..

Or certainly a different concept of it, merely a cultural difference, (much like losing face ? ) and it is now deepening to a chasm with the Wiesenthal-nyzers milking it for every satang.

This is the third Nazi fiasco in 5 years in Thailand. And I am not that well informed, perhaps many more. Would you attribute them all to a cultural difference? Since there is no other country who organizes Nazi parades as high school functions what kind of Thai cultural difference would you say causes this?

Hitler too first used words to convince Germany of the need to be intolerant of those who were perceived to be a threat to the German people..

Yes he did, good to see you understand my point <_< ..

A because the School admins were not in on the joke , The students picked the theme as is customary did not inform the faculty?.

And are now cowed by the ensuing zionist led PC outrage at the audacity to satirize such a horrendous chapter in history ?

How else to explain the other characters on the the 3 story tall banner ,obviously the centerpiece of the entire parade and exercise? &lt;deleted&gt;, MR BEAN ?? Prince Charles..?

C'mon..

Satire has to be done very skillfully or it could backfire. Phil Hendrie is probably the ultimate world master of satire and he has cautioned about attempted satire by the unskilled. The banner was certainly satire, but that wasn't what got anyone's attention. If there was any satire in the parade, it wasn't very evident to me. This audacity, as you put it, of the all-too-realistic parade is what triggered the 'zionist led PC outrage' [sic].

Are you saying you saw a caricature of Prince Charles on the the banner? More power to the banner creator(s) if this is the case! BTW, I'm not convinced that was a caricature of Mr. Bean (Rowan Atkinson) on the banner. The hair wasn't his trademark short hair and I don't see the connection of the 'horn sign' with Atkinson or Mr. Bean ... or the Black Adder, for that matter.

Yes of course you always know what stance is to be taken? Could it be because you know the senselessness of your strawman argument as you've heard it all before from so many others :whistling: ..

No actually I'm leaving Thailand for countless reasons long before this topic came up not the least of which is getting them a respectable education it's just one more reinforcement of that decision on top of a rather large pile.

Besides the education they'll get back home which will include respect for the holocaust and it's victims the opportunites abound for those like myself with intiative and vision..

Ah I see, so this parade supports your decison to leave...........bon voyage

Ah I see, so this parade supports your decison to leave...........bon voyage

With pleasure, I assure you...

The banner was certainly satire, but that wasn't what got anyone's attention. If there was any satire in the parade, it wasn't very evident to me. This audacity, as you put it, of the all-too-realistic parade is what triggered the 'zionist led PC outrage' [sic].

Was anyone here at the event or are we just going by select pictures released?

Is there even any eye witness statements as to what the kids did during their "parade" ?

Did they sing? Did they make speeches? What did they say?

The banner was certainly satire, but that wasn't what got anyone's attention. If there was any satire in the parade, it wasn't very evident to me. This audacity, as you put it, of the all-too-realistic parade is what triggered the 'zionist led PC outrage' [sic].

Is there even any eye witness statements as to what the kids did during their "parade" ?

I think judging by some of the stills, they baton twirled and performed hip dance routines.........similar the previous Pattaya parade.......very ominous

This gets my vote for most enlightened and reasonable comment. Was anyone actually there?