Thai PM Yingluck Worth US$17 Million: Anti-Graft Body

webfact

Well spotted ! :jap:

Posters who have claimed in the past that the previous government was corrupt, which it probably was to some extent, should perhaps now give credit to former-PM Abhisit himself, for not making billions during his time in-office.

He ought to be congratulated, for having set such a good example, by not adding significantly to his personal-wealth, whilst in power. Hope that Ms-Yingluck will follow his example ? B)

Korn and Suthep did quite well. Korn made 63 million during his time as Finance Min and Suthep 56 million. Of course Korn was very wealthy before so it's perhaps not hard to add such a small %. Suthep is more suspicious since he started with only 39 million when he took office.

BT381 million in 13 bank accounts could be other investments such as mutual trusts, REITs, structured equities etc etc (other than the Bt81 million in investment portfolios, those could be with fund managers etc). If you had Bt536 million, how would you diversify your portfolio?

In my line of work, I come across many ordinary Thais who have in excess of 10 million baht in simple savings accounts. How do I know this? A certain cash balance is required by a lot of European embassies when applying for a tourist visa. This evidence is submitted to the respective consulars in the form of bank statements and the funds have to have been in the account for a certain amount of time (not dissimilar to the 800k baht requirement for a retirement visa). You might very well be surprised at how rich the Thai middle class really is.

Or how much they can get away with borrowing from friends to fulfil the visa requirement while they actually live on credit in a desperate attempt to look rich hoping to land a rich Farang while abroad. In many cases. I have no one in mind while writing this. :whistling:

Yingluck's personal assets are worth Bt536 million, including Bt13 million in cash, Bt381 million in 13 bank accounts, Bt81 million in investment portfolios, Bt65 million in land plots and Bt162 million in real estate.

WHY would someone have 13 million baht in cash?

It's heartwarming to see the country being led by someone who truly understands the needs of the poor. A real person of the people.

I wonder just how many hundreds of thousands of rai of farmland she has in her portfolio. Would be interesting to see just what her land holdings are.

Looks like poor old Anusorn is in debt to the tune of over 290 million baht.

I imagine her clothes closet is the size of most people's homes.

Still, there's nothing like a well dressed Prime Minister.

Exactly. How could anyone so rich be in tune with the people trying to pay their medical bills and find the rent on their accommodations and those trying to figure out what to take to the pawn shop next month to cover the fees for the new school term

But her party got the poor man's vote. Makes about as much sense as the poor and middle class in the USA voting Republican -- but they do.

How could anyone expect a cabinet worth billions to be even slightly interested in greater social equality?

Edited by plumeria

How could anyone expect a cabinet worth billions to be even slightly interested in greater social equality?

I'd be speculating out of my ass of course (which I believe is the only way to speculate), but I would tentatively tender the fault for the confusion lies not with poor who understandably feel entitled. I had started to make this point which I wasn't quite sure whether it was cheeky or insightful or what it was, but it sure made Reds annoyed at me, so in the absence of anything resembling any kind of legitimate awareness of events back then, and throw in a healthy tablespoon of laziness, I might try and make this point again - the one I'm not really all that clear on. The one no one has actually clarified for me; at least, not - adequately - it would seem (though that could be entirely the fault of the student, rather than the unconvincing lecturer).

The point, after that awkward rambling introduction, the point that confuses me is...

Who gave the disenfranchised classes the 1997 Constitution?

I mean, I'm not illiterate. I can read, and have tried to read, but maybe I am illiterate because it's all impossibly uninteresting and vague. I use the words as someone who desires dramatainment. And as best as I can make out, an arguably unrelated incident in 1991 was the closest thing to '"pressure" those infernal amataya were under?

Forgive my ignorance, but I've fallen hopefully out of touch with developments. Were the mysterious amataya ever proven to actually exist? Can one go anywhere, to perhaps catch a glimpse of one (if the gods will it)? In England, I went to Buckingham Palace and caught up with my Queen. She wasn't home, but it was my fault for being thoughtless and forgetting to wire through that I'd be in town.

But the amataya, they fascinate me. I am leaning towards them not actually existing. It would seem to be mildly embarassing for them if they were - actually - a genuine class of elites. Either they're the sweetest teddy-bear elites ever, or they are just terrible - like, terrible - at the game of Power. Which is rare, for elites. I think. I've never been one, but no elite has ever given me any.

I'd be so shocked to be handed the 1997 Constitution, without 'asking' for it - as these things are traditionally arranged (ref: history books, like Les Mis), I wouldn't know what to do with it either if I were the confused recipients. I'd probably drop it, warily. I mean, who ever heard of such a thing. Handing over unsolicited self-determination, to people who are just confused cause like...why?

It's all very peculiar, and it's possible I'm just drunk. It's possible that both variables are in play. I don't know what's going on with Thailand's Constitutions except that I would literally bet my life - literally - on my ability to write Thailand a top one. Every one I've read about is, no offence to the terrible writers (who probably did their best, which simply wasn't good enough for government work), but each of these Recipes for Fail ...they are really not...inclusive enough, of potential eventualities and crisis's and whatnot. And the thing about politics is it's a game of penetration testing. If there are points where pressure can penetrate, by god, pressure will not let expectations down. So leaving any gaps is like....why?

Cause like, I see some raving about this 1997 Constitution, but I don't mean to demean those who are daft, but you'd have to be daft to fail to understand the exploitabilities...would be exploited. No one can pretend they could have seen Thaksin coming. He's too brilliant to be plausible. But someone was going to do what he did, and it's doesn't matter if they couldn't hope to do it as well - and no one could - the Constitution itself was arguably farcical the day it was sent out to fail. Poor thing never stood a chance.

And this is the problem when you have sober, invested types writing your Constitutions. Thailand, I think you know I'll nail this. Let me in the game, Coach!

Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has net assets worth 541 million baht

It's a shame that over the last five years, Yingluck is worth about half of what she made in a solitary transaction from then. A public fund should be set up for her to assist in her economic recovery.

When the family sold its flagship Shin Corp. to Singapore’s Temasek Holdings Pte for 73 billion baht ($2.4 billion) in 2006, Yingluck netted 985 million baht.

Bloomberg BusinessWeek - June 16, 2011

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-06-16/thaksin-looms-in-thai-vote-as-yingluck-lead-deters-investors.html

It'll be interesting to see what "honest mistakes" she made on her or her millionaire 9 year-old son's documents that will enable her to get banned for 5 years because of yet another lie.

Edited by Buchholz

30166343-01.jpg

The richest, Science Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi, has Bt963 million

Probably not derived from his brilliant ideas...

Private Boat Owners Urged To Help Lower Level Of Chao Phraya

LOL @ "Science" Minister Plodprasob's 30 propellers having an impact on the Chao Phraya River.

:lol:

podpasob.jpg

Pheu Thai Party-list MP candidate #6 and former Chiang Mai Night Safari Project Director, Plodprasop Suraswadi

Chiang Mai Safari: Rare Animals On The Menu At Zoo, Eat lion, tiger, elephant, giraffe meat

CHIANG MAI: -- Visitors offered daily buffet of lion, tiger, elephant and giraffe meat; conservation groups outraged. Lovers of “wild” cuisine are in for a treat when Chiang Mai’s Night Safari opens next year, Project Director Plodprasop Suraswadi said yesterday. Visitors to the park’s Vareekunchorn restaurant will have the option of tucking in to an “Exotic Buffet” of tiger, lion, elephant and giraffe, for just Bt4,500 a head.

Yingluck's personal assets are worth Bt536 million, including Bt13 million in cash, Bt381 million in 13 bank accounts, Bt81 million in investment portfolios, Bt65 million in land plots and Bt162 million in real estate.

Why not? Fixed deposits, savings accounts, current accounts - all these constitute cash

Then what are the bank accounts?

You are correct. Money in savings or other bank accounts is reported as such.

Bkkorupcountry is obfuscating as, in this situation, 13 million in cash means 13 million in cash.

Edited by Buchholz

The most salient fact about Plodrasop's huge wealth (Bt 900 million plus) has not yet been mentioned, namely that his whole career has been spent as a lowly paid public official.Perhaps there is a good reason for his wealth but I have yet to hear it.It would be nice to see the Thai press asking a few awkward questions but the most depressing aspect is that it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Incidentally how come Abhisit's wealth at Bt 55 million is less than the market value of his house in Sukhumvit? I don't for a moment suspect him of deceipt but am wondering whether there is non-market method of assesing land values for asset declaration purposes.

The most salient fact about Plodrasop's huge wealth (Bt 900 million plus) has not yet been mentioned, namely that his whole career has been spent as a lowly paid public official.Perhaps there is a good reason for his wealth but I have yet to hear it.It would be nice to see the Thai press asking a few awkward questions but the most depressing aspect is that it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Incidentally how come Abhisit's wealth at Bt 55 million is less than the market value of his house in Sukhumvit? I don't for a moment suspect him of deceipt but am wondering whether there is non-market method of assesing land values for asset declaration purposes.

I assume assets are declared from cost basis unless it be securities which are marked to market on a regular basis.

Maybe the journalists learned their mistake from when they tried doing it to Thaksin's cabinet...

Afaik you can check out his declaration in detail if you go down and read the papers that they nailed up back then. And then you can see what the house and/or land is valuated at.

BT381 million in 13 bank accounts could be other investments such as mutual trusts, REITs, structured equities etc etc (other than the Bt81 million in investment portfolios, those could be with fund managers etc). If you had Bt536 million, how would you diversify your portfolio?

In my line of work, I come across many ordinary Thais who have in excess of 10 million baht in simple savings accounts. How do I know this? A certain cash balance is required by a lot of European embassies when applying for a tourist visa. This evidence is submitted to the respective consulars in the form of bank statements and the funds have to have been in the account for a certain amount of time (not dissimilar to the 800k baht requirement for a retirement visa). You might very well be surprised at how rich the Thai middle class really is.

I'm not surprised at all. That has been my observation as well.

Yingluck’s personal assets are worth Bt536 million, including Bt13 million in cash, Bt381 million in 13 bank accounts, Bt81 million in investment portfolios, Bt65 million in land plots and Bt162 million in real estate.

A girl has to have some loose money in her handbag....u never know when there will be a special sale at Gaysorn or its her turn to buy lunch

I read that Thaksin's daughters are known to carry as much as 600,000 Baht 'pocket change' in their handbags at any given time.

Yingluck’s personal assets are worth Bt536 million, including Bt13 million in cash, Bt381 million in 13 bank accounts, Bt81 million in investment portfolios, Bt65 million in land plots and Bt162 million in real estate.

This adds up to 702M THB.

How much does she have outside if Thailand? This statement in the thread title "Yingluck Worth US$17 Million" is misleading, as I don't think assets outside of Thailand have been counted.

This adds up to 702M THB.

How much does she have outside if Thailand? This statement in the thread title "Yingluck Worth US$17 Million" is misleading, as I don't think assets outside of Thailand have been counted.

She's bound to worth much more than that considering she made US$31.7 Million on just the Shin sale alone and that was over 5 years ago.

Just a matter of time before her false asset declarations are unraveled and she's properly banned from politics for fraud.

Edited by Buchholz

A girl has to have some loose money in her handbag....u never know when there will be a special sale at Gaysorn or its her turn to buy lunch

Not so. Betty Windsor NEVER carries money. If she were so to do, it would be considered vulgar for a lady of her class and standing.

• Like 1