Maxxis 26X2.0 Or 26X2.1 Tyres

MaiDong

My Marin came with Continental Mountain King 26x2.2 tyres and whilst they'd be fine if I lived in the country, they're rather more unsuitable for Bangkok!

I went back to Bike Zone and bought a pair of Maxxis 26x1.9 and whilst they're much more stable in BKK than the Continentals they're just slightly on the thin side, they were all that Bike Zone had at the time and I believe Fausto was waiting for delivery of some more tyres but I was wondering if there is anywhere else in Bangkok where I could find a good choice of Maxxis tyres?

Pro Bike has some nice touring style Continentals but they're B2,300 EACH!!

Any help would be appreciated :)

MD

I'm in Chiang Mai so can't really comment on where to shop in Bkk.

There are many choices of great bicycle tires in the world but you would only see a very small selection stocked in Thailand bike shops.

Tire review site

Once you really find the best tire for your needs then either order them shipped in or try to have your local shop order them.

It's pretty slim pikens up here in CM.

I was going to write something about how much selection there is in Chiang Mai. I know I've seen a pretty good choice of Maxxis tires at TCA. (They probably have a similar selection at TCA in Bangkok.) But I don't know for sure if they have every size, and prices certainly aren't cheap.

And then I realized I'm in the process of packing my bags for my trip to CM next week and I'm bringing with me 8 tires for 4 different bikes.

Edited by el jefe

Thanks for your replies, I hadn't thought of getting tyres posted to me from the UK as I always remembered tyres for my bikes back in the UK didn't fold and flop into a tiny package like they seem to nowadays :)

I'll see what I can find, at what prices, see how long they take to arrive then I'll post my findings here...

Schwalbe makes some premium tires.

The Big Apple looks good. Often times a slick or semi slick is easy to puncture because there are no knobs to get the casing up off the surface. In the case of the Big Apple I think they weigh about 900 grams each. Those are tanks and probably enough protection to deal with a lot of hazards.

For me they would be a bit heavy for going up hills and accelerating but might fit your needs well.

I prefer to have a tire in the sub 500 gram range because it just makes the bike feel a lot more nimble and sporty.

Schwalbe makes some premium tires.

The Big Apple looks good. Often times a slick or semi slick is easy to puncture because there are no knobs to get the casing up off the surface. In the case of the Big Apple I think they weigh about 900 grams each. Those are tanks and probably enough protection to deal with a lot of hazards.

For me they would be a bit heavy for going up hills and accelerating but might fit your needs well.

I prefer to have a tire in the sub 500 gram range because it just makes the bike feel a lot more nimble and sporty.

The weight was a bit of a shock actually! nearly a kilo each :unsure:

I've taken a shine to these Maxxis Hookworm 26x2.5, they weight 445-582 grams according to mtbr.com website which is a bit more reasonable than 900g, they look like they'd take a nail easily, as you say, but I carry a tube around with me so I don't mind the risk.

With regards to getting some sent out here to me though, would these Maxxis or the Big Apples fold down like many tyres seem to now or are they more rigid?

Edit; I believe the 445-582g weight is for single ply tyres so more of a puncture risk but they do look very nice :)

Edited by MaiDong

its easy to ship tires. The wire bead kind can be twisted into a kind of ball of loops and the folding ones fold down small.

You might want to check the Probike store in BKK. Their dealer here Chiang Mai Jacky bike has a decent selection of tires in stock with Kenda, Schwalbe, Bontrager, Maxxis etc. They don't have the full lines and its hit or miss for specific models/sizes but might be helpful. Also by natural selection they probably are stocking tires locals seem to like.

They will cost more in BKK but when you figure shipping it's probably a wash.

Probike address is

Address: Probike Co., Ltd.

237/2 Sarasin Rd., Lumpinee Pathumwan Bangkok Thailand 10330

Tel: 02.2533384, 02.2541077

Fax: 02.2541078

Office Hours: Mondays to Fridays: 10.00 - 19.00

Saturdays: 8.30 - 19.00

Sundays: 8.30 - 17.00

Probike website

They don't list a lot of tires on the website but the must have a lot because they supply shops all over Thailand.

its easy to ship tires. The wire bead kind can be twisted into a kind of ball of loops and the folding ones fold down small.

You might want to check the Probike store in BKK. Their dealer here Chiang Mai Jacky bike has a decent selection of tires in stock with Kenda, Schwalbe, Bontrager, Maxxis etc. They don't have the full lines and its hit or miss for specific models/sizes but might be helpful. Also by natural selection they probably are stocking tires locals seem to like.

They will cost more in BKK but when you figure shipping it's probably a wash.

Probike address is

Address: Probike Co., Ltd.

237/2 Sarasin Rd., Lumpinee Pathumwan Bangkok Thailand 10330

Tel: 02.2533384, 02.2541077

Fax: 02.2541078

Office Hours: Mondays to Fridays: 10.00 - 19.00

Saturdays: 8.30 - 19.00

Sundays: 8.30 - 17.00

Probike website

They don't list a lot of tires on the website but the must have a lot because they supply shops all over Thailand.

I already visited Pro Bike(see OP) but didn't fancy anything they had, apart from the Continentals which were too pricey.

I could get a pair of Hookworms sent from the UK for about GBP15 so including the potential GBP20 each I'll be paying approx. GBP55/THB2,600 for a pair, I just need to make up my mind...

Thanks for the info above anyhow :)