IKEA To Open Its First Store In Thailand

webfact

I have to agree Ikea is crap, nothing but rubbish an overpriced 2 dollar shop. I think they went bust in Australia after about 6 months.

In Canada at least, they do have some solid furniture for the kitchen (the living room not so much). I had bought stainless steel island - and countertops - which I put together. The stainless steel was solid, and very good looking, the counter top was solid wood. Very good quality. Also I bought a chopping block on stand which I used to hold a microwave - also very solid. Basically, for the kitchen area they have some very good quality products at reasonable prices -- just had to make sure I bought at the store, and not through the web. Online they would quote you the price, but then call you back with the additional shipping charges that would apply (which were insane). If you went to the store, they would deliver everything that day or next in a van for a flat low price for everything.

They also have a lot of crap -- did not see any book shelves, living room furniture that I would ever purchase. It really depends on what you bought from them.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They seem to be pretty popular here in Japan. There are just 5 shops and each time I have seen one of free shuttle buses to their Yokohama area shop it is pretty full. In fact I saw one tonight while on my bicycle.

I suspect that they will be a hit in Thailand. A new idea, bright and shiny, new levels of customer service and so on. I bet the Ikea Cafe will be a hit too.

Can't wait for IKEA to open.

They will set new standards in terms of customer service and raise the bar tremendously.

So all you SB furniture, Index etc etc, brace yourselves.

You are about to lose a big chunk of your business.

Most furniture is Thailand is crap, but IKEA is not better.

Moreover IKEA will probably be more expensive and you have to transport and assemble everything yourself.

Edited by DickFarang

I have been an IKEA Customer for years back in Europe and I continued to shop there after I moved to the USA.

I love the fact that IKEA opens it's store(s) in Bangkok, but I wonder if Thai consumers are going to buy there if they have to assemble their furniture at home. :unsure:

Maybe they should offer free in-store assembly service?

They will set new standards in terms of customer service and raise the bar tremendously.

LOL. You can't be serious?

The IKEA concept is you walk forever through a maze of rubbish, pick your flatpack crap, pay for it and tote it to your car and take it home and... see TommyDee's post.

The only interaction with anyone related to 'customer service' is when you pay for the sh!te.

I have to agree Ikea is crap, nothing but rubbish an overpriced 2 dollar shop. I think they went bust in Australia after about 6 months.

We had one in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne but it was gone after about 2 yrs of operation a little more than 6 months

Alas, living in Thailand seems to make the elderlies rather cynical. Some of the views expressed would not reflect the long standing of Ikea in Europe where they have a major following.

Quality is not going to be the problem - only whether Ikea Thailand can match existing DIY stores who often deliver and install free of charge or at minimal add on costs.

Have a self installed Ikea kitchen for 18 years and its still going strong. No moisture or other issues. Same goes for leather sofa, upscale wall units, a great computer desk that served as a NLDVE station, lighting, and the list goes on and on.

Have been to Ikea stores in several countries. I like the Italian food at the Bologna Ikea. Unlimited virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar included. Taiwan Ikea has some nice food also. Washington State had great espresso for 25 cents (7 baht)

Meatballs with lingon berries are always welcome.

some items at SB and Index are even similar pieces that are made at the same factory for Ikea. Ikea has had factory presence in Thailand for many years already. I own some SB and Index furniture and it is similar to Ikea, but IMO Ikea has a lot more designs and innovative ideas. Prices should also be lower too.

Some of IKEA’s porcelain is “Made in Thailand”.

Odd complaints, from IKEA I bought the best computer table I have ever had, it stuck with me when I moved 4 times - finally left behind when I left Europe. And the new owner loved it too...

Now if only it was still in stock...

I fitted my entire house out in the UK with IKEA. No problems at all.

For those living in UDON Thani have a look in one of the big furniture stores on the main ringroad. If you know IKEA stuff then you will see what looks like IKEA in one of the stores. Even has the same names for the Wardrobes etc as the UK IKEA. Don't know if it is IKEA or a Thai copy.

Perhaps an IKEA supplier selling surpluses at dumping prices.

Its all good....

ANything that challenges the current way of Thai life can only be good

INDEX is way over priced - and SB aint that great too...

Whatever happens... the bar will move

Agreed any competition is a + IKEA have stores in KL same climate so they know what they are up against

Have shopped at Ikea Australia and will not again. The storage looks good but you need to be a carpenter at least to evenup doors or any cupboards. Had friend spend $20,000.00 on storage and then another $4000.00 on builder to install. 12 months later all rubbish. Everything sags.

The fact that it will be aircon should keep it looking busier than normal on the weekends.

With the rat's maze layout, I wonder if it will be more frustrating than a big c on a saturday morning?

Who are they targeting with this store? Hi-so rich folk, I doubt it, poor people, I doubt it. Middle class, diy new generation, lol. If they sell 20 baht ice coffee there it will probably be interesting alternative to strolling around a regular mall.

Forget all the fussing about the over-hyped pressed-chipwood/cardboard furniture. WILL THEY HAVE SWEDISH MEATBALLS? :whistling:

Got a catalog at Hard Rock Cafe Friday, and, yes, Swedish meatball meal with lingenberries and french fries for 95 baht. Now, if you can just find a parking place...

LOL. You can't be serious?

The IKEA concept is you walk forever through a maze of rubbish, pick your flatpack crap, pay for it and tote it to your car and take it home and... see TommyDee's post.

The only interaction with anyone related to 'customer service' is when you pay for the sh!te.

I cannot comply I bought stuff from Ikea about 10 years ago and brought it over to Thailand 3 years ago and it is still in decent condition. so I am happy they finally come to Thailand. the only concern I have is, that you have to put it together yourself and the way a lot of Thais are doing it, is phor chai dai, you have to do it 100% and then it last

Who are they targeting with this store? Hi-so rich folk, I doubt it

This may be the problem for many of our posters, who, even if perhaps really living in a council estate in blighty, of course regard themselves members of the wealthy hi-so class in Thailand. Obviously they are miffed that IKEA's furniture won't quite do for the expensive decor of their (possibly imaginary) mansions.

So, all you wealthy hi-so elites who condescend to sniff here, simply don't shop at IKEA (exit this thread) and leave "the crap" to the hordes who will, such as myself.

Sorted!

Edited by JSixpack

at last, the chance for our thai friends to buy furniture that..you click together, then add your own screws to, then bolt to the wall to stop it falling over, and know from day one that if you move, you will either leave it behind or burn it. magnificent

Lol....I wonder if flatpacks will cause any issues for Thais to put together...

IKEA in Thailand will experience difficulties selling furniture to Thai´s, unless they offer delivery and assembly service (perhaps at a small price), or alternatively have a partner who sell this service right at the location. We all know how difficult it is, to find a reliable and skilled worker in Thailand. And I strongly doubt that the Thais will be able to "do it yourself".

I can imagine one of the Thai Soap´s on TV, showing Thai people trying to transport and assemble furniture from IKEA by themselves :-)

Edited by Xonax

Hang on.. IKEA had a store here years ago I think it was in the Central World Trade .... not quit sure.

I went there several times, it was small, had no catalogue to mention and not much selection.. but it was there. I also believe IKEA had an office/ buying facility here for many years.. any other old Bangkok hand remember this?

Why can't you publish a map to show where exactly the IKEA store will be and how far away from the nearest BTS station? But you better don't let a Thai person draw up the map.

There's a map of the store location on the IKEA Thailand web site, which is part done in English...

http://www.ikea.co.th/en/about-ikea/location/

BTW, one thing I haven't seen referenced from IKEA Thailand themselves is whether they are planning to offer delivery services in Bangkok for products that may be too big or oddly sized to carry in a car....

Who are they targeting with this store? Hi-so rich folk, I doubt it

This may be the problem for many of our posters, who, even if perhaps really living in a council estate in blighty, of course regard themselves members of the wealthy hi-so class in Thailand. Obviously they are miffed that IKEA's furniture won't quite do for the expensive decor of their (possibly imaginary) mansions.

So, all you wealthy hi-so elites who condescend to sniff here, simply don't shop at IKEA (exit this thread) and leave "the crap" to the hordes who will, such as myself.

Sorted!

Ikea is a clever marketing organization, you can be very sure they have obtained a lot of quality data /demographic segmentation etc., and then done a lot of analysis to establish their specific target market, how big it is, and how big it is by different rooms, what specific furniture items to focus on, etc etc. And ultimately whether by projected sales volumes, margins, etc. it is the right time to even open their store.

As already said, it would be doubtful that the hi-so market is their target.

Edited by scorecard

Recently at Index on the Lampang - CM Superhighway.

Farang is asking the young male assistant, in Thai - do you have this cabinet in white colour?

Reply - this is maple.

Farang asks again, calmly - yes I know this is maple, do you have it in white?

Reply - this is maple.

Farang points at white colour on next piece of furniture, his Thai wife asks again if the cabinet is available in white?

Reply - this is maple.

Then an older Thai lady shopper intervenes and blasted the young assistant, her voice can be heard across half the store. And she says in English to the farang and his wife, your question is very clear.

Supervisor is called by another staff member.

The older lady then tells the supervisor, in Thai, the cabinet right here is maple colour, but the farang wants to know if it's available in white. she repeats the question several ways to try to ensure the real question is understood.

Reply - I don't know, and she then tells the original young male assistant to take care of the customer and she walks away.

So this surprises you why ??.....cheesy.gif

you know there is that legend in the tourism industry that Thais are renowned for their superior 5 star service.......this is true, but look behind the scenes that these 5 star premises are western and managed as such.......

Agree, very true. In fact it's one of the major reasons for the recent sale of a large hypermarket chain.

All attempts to get staff well focused on customers basically failed. The hypermarket chain concerned doesn't mess around, they got on with making a decision - sell, make sure all start-up etc., costs are recovered plus an acceptable margin and take the capital elsewhere.

Edited by scorecard

Can't wait for IKEA to open.

So all you SB furniture, Index etc etc, brace yourselves.

You are about to lose a big chunk of your business.

It's just McFurniture.

Probably make more money off the subleasing around the store than the store itself.

Wasn't there an ikea here before-15 years ago?

The food court thingy will likely start off trying to sell meatballs and overpriced hotdogs, in 6 months time it will look like a tesco foodcourt.

Anyways, a bit of competition to the sb's of the world is welcome jsixpack, less riff-raff getting in the way of serious shoppers ;)