Hua Hin Floating Markets

boaterjack

I don't see any problems. The "other floating market" .... I mean if you pass first market in soi 112, about 300 meter later go to the left and then after 500 meter to the right we can call as primary market and works well on weekends. The first market we can call secondary market and it seem he isn't finish until now, it will take mabye 2-3 month more, for this maybe you see less visitors :jap:

My wife and a friend went to both markets about ten days ago. She said they were both interesting (to Thais) and better than she expected but that the one on the secondary road off Soi 112 was far better than the one directly on Soi 112.

As for how they are doing, she was there on a weekday and said they both had many customers but were not crowded. The weekend before that (two weeks ago), I drove by the one on Soi 112 and it was so crowded that the paved parking area provided was completely full and they were directing cars to a temporary dirt lot a few hundred meters away. There was also a line of cars turning down the road to the second one that day... so I suspect they are doing ok (at least on weekends when the Bangkokians come down).

I heard about that owner's death too, but the story I heard left it unclear whether it was someone involved in one of the Hua Hin floating markets or one in Ayuthya.

• 1 month later...

My wife and a friend went to both markets about ten days ago. She said they were both interesting (to Thais) and better than she expected but that the one on the secondary road off Soi 112 was far better than the one directly on Soi 112.

As for how they are doing, she was there on a weekday and said they both had many customers but were not crowded. The weekend before that (two weeks ago), I drove by the one on Soi 112 and it was so crowded that the paved parking area provided was completely full and they were directing cars to a temporary dirt lot a few hundred meters away. There was also a line of cars turning down the road to the second one that day... so I suspect they are doing ok (at least on weekends when the Bangkokians come down).

I heard about that owner's death too, but the story I heard left it unclear whether it was someone involved in one of the Hua Hin floating markets or one in Ayuthya.

I went on a weekday, disappointing. :jap:

I think the whole floating market concept is another of those "Thai vs Western" phenomena. I have yet to talk with a westerner who has been to the ones in Hua Hin and saw the value, but Thai people just FLOCK to them. It seems like if upcountry (including BKK) family visits a relative in Hua Hin, the floating markets are a Must Do.

I've been dragged to the markets (both of them, more than once <sigh>) by Thai friends, and they seem endlessly entertained. If you go, take note of the ratio of Thai to western customers. Far, far more Thai customers.

I mean, how many T-shirt shops must you visit before it's a tad boring?