Need A Will, But Can'T Find One For A Reasonable Price?

thaibeachlovers

I needed a will so that when I kark it my wife can get the money in my account ( I don't put everything in a joint account ). No property etc, just the bank account.

My wife was being quoted ridiculous amounts like 10,000 bht, but finally found one that said 1,000. Thought that was a bit low, but went anyway, and sure enough the lawyer came up with a couple of reasons to increase the price- to 3,000!

So I got my will there, and happy too. Cheapest I found in Pattaya was 5,000.

Anyway, if anyone needs a will, and can't get a decent price, PM me for the phone number.

The lawyer is in Lamphun, but it's only short trip from C M.

Why not just have a shared account, or give your wife the ATM code and be done with it? Even with a will it will still take some effort to get access to the funds; I think you're making this a lot harder than it needs to be.

For starters it can't be in a shared account as it is "stewing" for my retirement extension. Secondly give her the ATM code- what ATM code. I don't have an ATM code.

I didn't start this thread to get advice on MY finances. So unless you want the phone number for a lawyer, PLEASE, don't come on this thread.

Why not just have a shared account, or give your wife the ATM code and be done with it? Even with a will it will still take some effort to get access to the funds; I think you're making this a lot harder than it needs to be.

For starters it can't be in a shared account as it is "stewing" for my retirement extension. Secondly give her the ATM code- what ATM code. I don't have an ATM code.

I didn't start this thread to get advice on MY finances. So unless you want the phone number for a lawyer, PLEASE, don't come on this thread.

Because of your rude response, I don't want anything to do with you.

Because of your rude response, I don't want anything to do with you.

Rude? I said please!

Anyway, you don't want anything to do with me, but you just HAD to waste some pixels to tell me that. 55555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555.

Would like to mention about legal effective of the Will according to Thai Law, there are couple types of the Will, by the way you did it with the Lawyer mostly it's called Normal Type of Will (printed out and you just sign it) it is strictly required that 2 witnesses must present and sign approve your signature during you were signing otherwise it's no effective; and another general way is Write by your own handwriting on whole paper, this way no need the witness, but need to prove your handwriting when your wife needs its enforcement; another way to recommend is registration with the Government (mostly do at District office) then the government officer will be your witness, I think this way is the best. :-)

You dont need a lawyer. Just down load a will form. Fill it in and get two witnesses to your signature. Give your wife a copy. It is legal and we all do this.

You dont need a lawyer. Just down load a will form. Fill it in and get two witnesses to your signature. Give your wife a copy. It is legal and we all do this.

Thanks for the info. Can you give a link to the website where I can download the form?

Everyone makes this whole Will thing in Thailand so complicated when it is really simple (despite the lawyers who are sure to chime in here since they don't like anyone doing something for themselves)

Do a Google search for Last Will and Testament and you will find samples. Since yours is very simple, only one heir, just copy and paste the parts that apply to you. Just make sure you state that this will is only for your assets in Thailand

Once you have it, take it to a translator, of which I am sure there are plenty in CM. Should cost you no more than 600 THB, probably less

Take both the English original and translated copy to your local Amphur

Also bring the following:

Your passport copy and visa page

A Medical Certificate like you get for a drivers license (100 to 150 THB) This is to show the Amphur that you are of "sound mind and body"

They will have you sign it in their presence and two people in the office will most likely be glad to witness your signature (unless you want to take two Thais with you as witnesses) NOT YOUR WIFE , she can be the executor but not the witness

They will put the Last Will and Testament in an envelope, seal it, and annotate the seal number in their big book and then put the envelope in their storage area. You will receive a receipt (usually 20 THB) which will have your file number on it

When you die, hopefully a long time from now, you wife will just take your death certificate to the Amphur, retrieve your will and go to the bank with both and get whatever you have left, as well as take control of any other property you may have acquired.

If you have more assets then she might have to get a lawyer to "probate" the Will but it sounds like that it not your case

Why do the lawyers charge so much ? Because they are lawyers and that is what they do. If you discuss this with your wife she will most likely have a very poor opinion of Thai lawyers since almost every Thai can tell you a horror story of how a Will was changed by a lawyer who kept it for "safe keeping" and changed it and who would know the difference since you sure are not there to argue the point

This solution is only for a simple Will, if you have children or lots of assets then you will have to bite the bullet and use a shark er, lawyer. So long as there is no one to contest your will it is not necessary to use a lawyer

Everyone makes this whole Will thing in Thailand so complicated when it is really simple (despite the lawyers who are sure to chime in here since they don't like anyone doing something for themselves)

Do a Google search for Last Will and Testament and you will find samples. Since yours is very simple, only one heir, just copy and paste the parts that apply to you. Just make sure you state that this will is only for your assets in Thailand

Once you have it, take it to a translator, of which I am sure there are plenty in CM. Should cost you no more than 600 THB, probably less

Take both the English original and translated copy to your local Amphur

Also bring the following:

Your passport copy and visa page

A Medical Certificate like you get for a drivers license (100 to 150 THB) This is to show the Amphur that you are of "sound mind and body"

They will have you sign it in their presence and two people in the office will most likely be glad to witness your signature (unless you want to take two Thais with you as witnesses) NOT YOUR WIFE , she can be the executor but not the witness

They will put the Last Will and Testament in an envelope, seal it, and annotate the seal number in their big book and then put the envelope in their storage area. You will receive a receipt (usually 20 THB) which will have your file number on it

When you die, hopefully a long time from now, you wife will just take your death certificate to the Amphur, retrieve your will and go to the bank with both and get whatever you have left, as well as take control of any other property you may have acquired.

If you have more assets then she might have to get a lawyer to "probate" the Will but it sounds like that it not your case

Why do the lawyers charge so much ? Because they are lawyers and that is what they do. If you discuss this with your wife she will most likely have a very poor opinion of Thai lawyers since almost every Thai can tell you a horror story of how a Will was changed by a lawyer who kept it for "safe keeping" and changed it and who would know the difference since you sure are not there to argue the point

This solution is only for a simple Will, if you have children or lots of assets then you will have to bite the bullet and use a shark er, lawyer. So long as there is no one to contest your will it is not necessary to use a lawyer

You don't have to download a form (in English) and pay to have it translated. They have a form on their computer (in Thai) at the amphur office for a simple will, as described in the link I posted above. The medical form isn't the same you get for a driver's license. That medical exam is just to check that you aren't color blind and fit enough to walk into the hospital by youself. The medical exam for the Will was a bit more complicated. We had to talk with a shrink for about 10 minutes. Also we needed a certificate of residency from Immigration, although those of you who are listed on a house book probably won't need that.

Best to check with your amphur office first, before you start to download forms yourself and pay someone to translate it.

We filed completed copies with the manager of our local bank branch, too.

Incidentally, the lady at the amphur office made a really big deal about how we should never, ever break the seal on the official wills unless under the proper circumstances. I'm not certain what those circumstances are, but I'm going to check with the bank manager and probably the American consulate to about when and how to open the Will should Hubby croak. The amphur supplied us with copies of the completed Wills which is what we used to file copies at the bank and with our relatives.

It is not the Will that is the issue - it is what happens after death that is the important point.

Lodging Wills with the bank seems pretty pointless to me - you will naturally review your Will each year and any changes will necessitate withdrawal/depositing of any old/new Wills.

Just keep the original and translation handy - together with an A-Z list of what your wife should do once you die.

One minor (perhaps not so minor) aside - if you are a Brit, and have assets in the UK, you will perhaps need to make sure you you have made adequate provision for your wife.

You cannot just leave assets to whomever you wish.

I mention this because many Falangs (myself included) work on the basis that whatever "I" have in Thailand can stay with my wife and my assets in UK can go to my Falang children. Not quite that simple.

It is not the Will that is the issue - it is what happens after death that is the important point.

Lodging Wills with the bank seems pretty pointless to me - you will naturally review your Will each year and any changes will necessitate withdrawal/depositing of any old/new Wills.

Just keep the original and translation handy - together with an A-Z list of what your wife should do once you die.

One minor (perhaps not so minor) aside - if you are a Brit, and have assets in the UK, you will perhaps need to make sure you you have made adequate provision for your wife.

I mention this because many Falangs (myself included) work on the basis that whatever "I" have in Thailand can stay with my wife and my assets in UK can go to my Falang children. Not quite that simple.

That doesn't sound right. If I have bought a house for the wife and left her a few Bob in the bank I am certain that I would be free to do what I wanted with my UK assets. I can't see a any problem leaving my 2 sons my 2 investment properties - no IHT to pay as the combined value is £275k

Thanks.

I got two signed copies, one my wife has and the other I have. Only for Thai bank account. I also have a will back 'ome to cover assets there ( don't have anything except household stuff here, and no one's going to try and claim that off herself ).

No need to change will unless I get another bank account for some reason, and that is highly unlikely.

When I made a will in Pattaya ( before I got married ) I tried to get the bank to hold a copy and they refused!

Is it worth getting the Amphur office to hold her copy of the will? Would they if they didn't make it?

As an aside, if I had assets in the UK ( I don't ) why can't I leave them to whomever I wish?

Thanks.

I got two signed copies, one my wife has and the other I have. Only for Thai bank account. I also have a will back 'ome to cover assets there ( don't have anything except household stuff here, and no one's going to try and claim that off herself ).

No need to change will unless I get another bank account for some reason, and that is highly unlikely.

When I made a will in Pattaya ( before I got married ) I tried to get the bank to hold a copy and they refused!

Is it worth getting the Amphur office to hold her copy of the will? Would they if they didn't make it?

As an aside, if I had assets in the UK ( I don't ) why can't I leave them to whomever I wish?

It is all about the requirement to make adequate provision for dependants - notably a wife.

It is covered here:- Inheritance (Provision for Family & Dependants) Act 1975

I heard a situation where a Falang left all his UK assets to his daughters and nothing to his Thai wife. I believe that he thought he had done enough by building her a large house on her land and also buying additional rice land. Not so ! He actually owned nothing in Thailand at the time of his death - the Thai assets were hers. The widow is perfectly entitled to claim against the UK estate on the basis that the provisions of the above act have not been met.

Thanks.

I've heard that often banks don't want to hold a copy of a Will. Much of banking policy is left up to the discretion of the local manager. Don't know if the amphur office will hold a Will that they didn't do, but lawyers file Wills they've done with the amphur. Why not an individual? Doesn't cost anything to ask.

If someone has multiple families in various countries, wives and ex-wives, maybe wives that aren't registered at the amphur but only the wat, children from multiple relationships, etc, then you're way beyond the realm of a "simple Will" and need to see a lawyer.

Incidentally, the lady at the amphur office made a really big deal about how we should never, ever break the seal on the official wills unless under the proper circumstances. I'm not certain what those circumstances are, but I'm going to check with the bank manager and probably the American consulate to about when and how to open the Will should Hubby croak. The amphur supplied us with copies of the completed Wills which is what we used to file copies at the bank and with our relatives.

How about if you and hubby want to make a codicil on the will?

That would mean breaking the seal......under Thai (Amphur) rules, can you make a codicil do you know, or do you have to draw up a completely new will once the seal is broken?

I don`t have a will, don`t want one, will never have one.

The house and land in Thailand is in the names of my kids.

My Thai banks accounts are in joint names with myself and girlfriend.

My American, Spanish and UK bank accounts are in joint names between my eldest son and me.

As for the rest of it, vehicles, jewellery, home contents and so on, once I’m gone they can all fight over what’s left; I couldn’t give a rat’s behind.

Next month me and my girlfriend of almost 30 years who has my children and like me is no spring chicken any more, so not likely to run off on a better offer, will be officially tying the knot and getting married. This is for the benefit that the girlfriend will receive a percentage of my company pensions if I happen to peg out first.

This of course has nothing to do with our thaibeachlovers, who prefers to make a will, because everyone’s situation is difference. I only mention this as to explain that there are other options and alternatives.

Again, all depends on your situation.

My American, Spanish and UK bank accounts are in joint names between my eldest son and me.

As for the rest of it, vehicles, jewellery, home contents and so on, once I'm gone they can all fight over what's left; I couldn't give a rat's behind.

Next month me and my girlfriend of almost 30 years who has my children and like me is no spring chicken any more, so not likely to run off on a better offer, will be officially tying the knot and getting married. This is for the benefit that the girlfriend will receive a percentage of my company pensions if I happen to peg out first.

This of course has nothing to do with our thaibeachlovers, who prefers to make a will, because everyone's situation is difference. I only mention this as to explain that there are other options and alternatives.

Sigh! It sounds like you don't really care what happens after you croak, but your loved ones' access to your money could be delayed or made more expensive if the joint accounts are frozen upon your death while the courts sort out who really is a lawful heir.

How about if you and hubby want to make a codicil on the will?

That would mean breaking the seal......under Thai (Amphur) rules, can you make a codicil do you know, or do you have to draw up a completely new will once the seal is broken?

The lady at the amphur said we'd need to execute new Wills if we get new bank accounts. As I said in my original post on the subject, the simple amphur will is just that -- rather simple. It's a great tool for those whose only Thai asset is their 800,000 baht account for their retirement visa. It's not intended for complex situations.

As for the rest of it, vehicles, jewellery, home contents and so on, once I'm gone they can all fight over what's left; I couldn't give a rat's behind.

This of course has nothing to do with our thaibeachlovers, who prefers to make a will, because everyone's situation is difference. I only mention this as to explain that there are other options and alternatives.

Sigh! It sounds like you don't really care what happens after you croak, but your loved ones' access to your money could be delayed or made more expensive if the joint accounts are frozen upon your death while the courts sort out who really is a lawful heir.

Sounds like a mess to me. If there is a dispute after you croak and you don't have a Will -- the lawyers will get everything.

Edited by elektrified

The lady at the amphur said we'd need to execute new Wills if we get new bank accounts. As I said in my original post on the subject, the simple amphur will is just that -- rather simple. It's a great tool for those whose only Thai asset is their 800,000 baht account for their retirement visa. It's not intended for complex situations.

Sounds like the way to go for something simple - thanks Nancy.

Sounds like a mess to me. If there is a dispute after you croak and you don't have a Will -- the lawyers will get everything.

Maybe Beetlejuice is not as daft as you think. I had always believed that (part) monies in a joint account forned part of the estate of the deceased. According to this, apparently not:-

The deceased person may have held money with another person in a joint bank or building society account. Normally this means that the surviving joint owner automatically owns the money. The money does not form part of the deceased person's estate for the purpose of administration and therefore does not need to be dealt with by the executor or administrator. However, a deceased's person's share in joint property is treated as part of their estate for inheritance tax purposes, both on death and on gifts made during their lifetime.

http://www.direct.go...ion/DG_10029468

As for the rest of it, vehicles, jewellery, home contents and so on, once I’m gone they can all fight over what’s left; I couldn’t give a rat’s behind.

This of course has nothing to do with our thaibeachlovers, who prefers to make a will, because everyone’s situation is difference. I only mention this as to explain that there are other options and alternatives.

As the man said, it depends on your situation. For me, after 30 years I think I can trust my Thai son, and I have transferred pretty much everything to him and his daughter (my granddaughter). All bank accounts are in joint names and we checked very carefully about what to do (with the bank accounts) the day after I croak.

I must admit it took a long time before my son would agree to discuss anything about death, but now all done, and it has made him more conscious and more knowledgeable about his own responsibilities as a husband and father in this regard.

But of course a lot more complicated if you have property abroad, etc.

Our joint accounts all have ATM cards. I told my wife to use the cards and withdraw all money in our joint account and all money in my account and deposit it in her own account when I die. She has the pin numbers of all the accounts. My UK and Australians brokers have put all assets in our joint names. Doing this will save a lot of hassle

Our joint accounts all have ATM cards. I told my wife to use the cards and withdraw all money in our joint account and all money in my account and deposit it in her own account when I die. She has the pin numbers of all the accounts. My UK and Australians brokers have put all assets in our joint names. Doing this will save a lot of hassle

This is a good safeguard and could come in handy if you're incapacitated and need for your wife to conduct business on your behalf. Stil, a Will would serve as good extra insurance in case someone else thinks they should be an heir and decides to contest your wife's actions upon your death.

As pointed out earlier, some of us maintain 800,000 baht Thai bank accounts with sole ownership to meet the requirements of a Thai retirement visa. Immigration won't let you use a joint account for this purpose. This is my biggest asset in Thailand and I want to make sure my husband can get it pronto when I croak, without having to wait for the courts to act, or for our U.S. Will to be translated, certified and reviewed by the Thai courts.

I checked with my wife and she says that they don't "freeze" the joint account, but I'll take your warning to heart and ask my wife to make sure that after I'm dead she goes to the bank and withdraws anything still in our joint account before the "authorities can do anything.

Someone mentioned that the Thai banks will freeze your account when you die. How does a Thai bank find out when one of their farang account holders dies? I told my wife when I die to just use my ATM card to withdraw whatever money is in the account.