Do You Have An Account At Siam City Bank?

Yaaklenmai

When any two companies "merge" it is normal for the computer records to be consolidated onto the system of the senior partner in the "merger".

Now, as I understand matters, most banks (but not all) use mainframes running UNIX and, therefore, if a "merger" takes place it is easy to create one database.

OK, fields may need to be adjusted but, again, that is a simple task.

If two companies do not run the same O/S it is still, relatively, simple because there are many programs that exist that can make them compatible and, again, it is straightforward to move the data currently in field "a" to field "b".

That, though, does not appear the way that two of Thailand's banks are handling their "merger".

I'm referring to Thancharat Bank (TBank) and Siam City Bank.

I wonder just how happy, if you are a customer, that you will be to learn that all of the customer records are being transferred manually?

In this day and age I find that remarkable UNTIL I think of where we are and the way that authorities will turn a blind eye to fraud!

By utilising the manual transfer method it gives the opportunity for:

1) Individuals to adjust/create balances - either intentionally or otherwise.

2) Individuals to vary interest rates on loans - either intentionally or otherwise.

3) Individuals to delete loans and load the interest onto another account (intentionally).

I don't think that I need to go on, apart from one more point.

It will allow any senior employee of Tbank to pocket billions of THB, without fear of discovery - after all, if there is no computer program that can run a detailed comparison, between the two databases, who will know?

I would guess that the only way they might know something is wrong would be to use old SCB records for margins etc., etc.,etc. BUT with this being Thailand I would guess that they may just "go missing"

My source for all of this is my "other half", who has worked for Siam City for, approaching, 10 years, but (for obvious reasons) I will neither name, nor give a clue to her branch location, BUT who has not been able to return home for more than a week (because of the hours being worked SEVEN days a week (08.00 - 20.00 is typical - yesterday 07.00 - 23.00) and has to stay with relatives close to her branch.

So, I have to ask:

1) Khun Somjate Moosirilert, CEO of TBank, if he knows what is happening and if he thinks that this is designed to promote confidence in his ethics and those of his bank?

and

2) If The Bank of Nova Scotia, who own a BIG chunk of Thancharat Bank (TBank) realise that they could be in danger of losing their banking licence (in Canada) for being party to this fiasco?

I'm hoping that I will get a response from someone at the bank, but I won't hold my breath!!

It seems to me that the opportunity for serious fraud is neither greater nor less dependent upon the system of transfer. Determined criminals will always find a way and detecting criminal behaviour in the cyber accounting world is far more difficult than in the world of manual book keeping.

However, the bottom line is that banks must guarantee your deposits and if someone does pocket money illegally from your account, the bank will make restitution...probably without your even knowing the money has gone.

For my money, I would be pleased to know a bank is manually checking transactions rather than relying on electronics solely.

sorry to say, but the story does not sound very plausible / credible.... manual transfer of customer records with all acocunts, statements, transactions etc. etc... could'nt be done in a lifetime... would'nt be accepted by any credible bank control unit, neither internally nor externally...

btw: it is SCIB, not SCB if you shorten the bank name...

sorry to say, but the story does not sound very plausible / credible.... manual transfer of customer records with all acocunts, statements, transactions etc. etc... could'nt be done in a lifetime... would'nt be accepted by any credible bank control unit, neither internally nor externally...

It is, totally, up to you what you want to believe.

What I can say, with confidence, is that what I wrote is exactly what I have been told.

My apologies for upsetting your sensibilities with my missing "I"!

To be honest I also find this hard to swallow. And then I remember this is Thailand. :blink:

i worked for lloyds bank, and they merged with TSB to create LLoyds TSB , it would be impossible to manuel transfer everything, when one branch moved to another branch in the network, it would take up to 1 year to clear the back log of accounts within the system, so to do a whole entire bank would take YEARS ! , also the thai's are not the brightest bunch with numbers, and this , well just wouldnt happen

as much as this maybe off topic

Are you sure the "other half" is working 7 days a week for those long hours or up to some other hijinks?

i think she might be pulling your leg here , so she isnt home , it wouldnt be the first time in thailand this has happened, but she will of course win ' ThaiVisa Wife of the year excuse ' ,

i worked for lloyds bank, and they merged with TSB to create LLoyds TSB , it would be impossible to manuel transfer everything, when one branch moved to another branch in the network, it would take up to 1 year to clear the back log of accounts within the system, so to do a whole entire bank would take YEARS ! , also the thai's are not the brightest bunch with numbers, and this , well just wouldnt happen

as much as this maybe off topic

Are you sure the "other half" is working 7 days a week for those long hours or up to some other hijinks?

i think she might be pulling your leg here , so she isnt home , it wouldnt be the first time in thailand this has happened, but she will of course win ' ThaiVisa Wife of the year excuse ' ,

A teller at the Royal Bank of Scotland where my granny deposited a couple of grand last year nicked the money and would have got away with it if not for her diligence.

This sort of thing can and does happen anywhere.

I have a Siam City bank account, that is used to make payments to the ex in the UK.

With these manual transfer of accounts, what's the chance that they accidentally add a few million baht to my bank account balance? Would it help if your wife could give some Johnny Walker Black whisky or 'Miss Kitty' handbags to the people doing these manual transfers?? :whistling:

Simon

It is, totally, up to you what you want to believe.

What I can say, with confidence, is that what I wrote is exactly what I have been told.

My apologies for upsetting your sensibilities with my missing "I"!

I did not say that YOU made up the story... but I DO say that you should question the story of your "other half".... I am an IT professional working for a bank... and I tell you it is impossible to do such a manual merger... I have been in two such projects and it is not possible to do this manually! The amount of data is just too big, as I said it is not only the customer record, but all transactions of the last years, all the statements, all the memo's typed about the customer's calls, problems, all the documents that you can NOT retype but most transfer automatically...

That story... other half has not been home for days... smells... very bad smell...

My source for all of this is my "other half", who has worked for Siam City for, approaching, 10 years, but (for obvious reasons) I will neither name, nor give a clue to her branch location, BUT who has not been able to return home for more than a week (because of the hours being worked SEVEN days a week (08.00 - 20.00 is typical - yesterday 07.00 - 23.00) and has to stay with relatives close to her branch.

Please tell me it is not her "brother"...

you dont have to be a brain surgeon to work that out,[phone the flipping bank]

you don't have to be a monkey's urologist either to guess that if it is something like a "staff meeting", whoever answer that phone call it's not going to say otherways.

Am i the only person that in these days is witnessing people, publishing compromising pictures of them and their working collegues, let's say in FaceBook?? :D oopss

and hospital's nurses are the "worse offenders"....:lol:

Now, as I understand matters, most banks (but not all) use mainframes running UNIX and, therefore, if a "merger" takes place it is easy to create one database.

You don't know much about transaction systems, do you...?

:whistling:

He does not.... but I guess that is the least of his worries right now :rolleyes:

"My apologies for upsetting your sensibilities with my missing "I"!"

I believe 'SCB' is a different bank, not Siam City Bank, so I guess that might be a fairly important mistake.

Yes, SCB is the Siam Commercial Bank (the purple one whose ATMs you see all over the place).

I had an account at Siam City Bank in Chiang Rai for a number of years back in the late 90's. After making a few moves, I ended up in Bangkok and wanted to access that account for sums greater than available by ATM.

Went to main office of Siam City Bank, passbook and passport in hand. Chinese-Thai buddy who spoke excellent English went along. Tried with the teller -- the head teller. Not a chance!

Ended up in the back room talking to the head operations officer. Lots of talk -- account and balance verified by phone with the CR office -- sorry, no can do! Manager wouldn't even talk to us. Siam City Bank had no mechanism for electronic cross-transfer of funds between branches.

I had to fly back to CR and cash out the account.

Maybe things have changed, but I would be wary of Siam City Bank -- especially as a foreigner.