Thai Govt Scales Down Plan To Give Free Tablet Computers

webfact

PRE-POLL PROMISES

Govt scales down plan to give free tablet PCs

Chularat Saengpassa

Wannapa Khaopa

The Nation

30166963-01.JPG

Any school ready to use tablet computers for teaching and learning will be given the tools early next year, Education Minister Woravat Auapinyakul told Nation Multimedia Group (NMG) yesterday.

He urged interested schools to prepare their teachers and students well to embrace the opportunity, as only schools that can prove they are capable of making use of the tablets will be chosen.

"We won't distribute them to all Prathom 1 [Grade 1] students in every school. We won't force every school to take the tablets. Teachers should be prepared for the technology. We are not concerned about students as they're from a generation ready and enthusiastic to learn from the technology - but teachers of the older generation may find it difficult to use such tools," Woravat said.

Budget will be allocated for the tablet distribution project in February, with distribution plans and their conditions completed in January, he said.

Woravat has an idea to provide the tablets with basic specifications, but if any schools want higher or advanced specifications, they can apply for funds to get them.

As strong competition in the tablet market brings down prices, he expects the tablets to be cheaper next year when the ministry buys them in volume.

To make the tablets more varied and useful, e-contents in extra subjects will be installed, some produced by the Office of the Basic Education Commission.

The minister yesterday discussed with NMG executives and editors his reason for a reshuffle of senior officials at the ministry - an issue that has been in the spotlight for two weeks.

He has been accused of bias or using political influence in moving some of the officials.

"My consideration was based on their work performance. People at the ministry know the chosen officials' performance very well," he said. A senior official he chose was a cousin of a member of the Democrat Party who had contested against him during the July election, but he did not care because she demonstrated good working ability.

"However, when I find any who cannot do their jobs well, I will certainly reshuffle them again."

Woravat was also criticised for being dominant as people have not seen any concrete work from his two deputy education ministers. Under his area-based education development policy, each minister is in charge of a different region.

"The deputy ministers cannot do much now since it is the end of the fiscal year. So, no budget is available for new projects. We're now in the process of creating the national strategic plan. I have had many meetings late at night with senior officials to create the plan and it will be finished this month. The 11th National Economic and Social Development Plan will have to adjust so that it will link into our education plan.

"The Education Ministry is a large agency with more than 500,000 personnel. We won't work without the plan to be implemented next year," he said.

The plan will stimulate higher employment by targeting universities to lead education development, passing on knowledge to schools, finding strong points of each area and strengthening basic education and students' working skills. It will be based on each area's strong points with help from vocational institutes.

Proficient practitioners will equip students with working skills; but the Government Teacher and Educational Personnel Act does not allow people without professional teaching licences to teach.

Woravat said he would adjust some regulations to allow experts from different professions to be involved in teaching.

Woravat said he would host a meeting with education ministers from Asean countries early next year to discuss how to prepare their education for the Asean Economic Community, which comes into effect in 2015.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-06

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear another promise broken, who would have expected that to happen..... See by the photograph the minister is doing a sterling job educating people.....This is fork, say after me...fork fork...fork off you peasants we got your vote....:rolleyes:

Oh dear another promise broken, who would have expected that to happen..... See by the photograph the minister is doing a sterling job educating people.....This is fork, say after me...fork fork...fork off you peasants we got your vote....:rolleyes:

That's not a fork. That's the antenna for the wireless router they plan to use.

Another huge backtracking... :bah:

From the massive electioneering promise of all students, numbering in the millions, in all schools receiving the implied Samsung Galaxy tablets that Yingluck paraded to the campaign crowds... down to only first graders receiving 2,000 baht plastic readers... to now, only some first graders.

Edited by Buchholz

My Thai wife's parents back in the village made a big thing of the fact that students would all have Apple iPads if the new Government won power

My wife said nothing as she has no right to an opinion in her village although she is Uni educated

But later said to me, that will be lucky to even get a cheap Ipad cover

The sad part is her village still believes all the things they promised will come

perfect :lol:

Woravat has an idea to provide the tablets with basic specifications, but if any schools want higher or advanced specifications, they can apply for funds to get them.

Curious to learn what these "basic and advanced specs" might be :rolleyes:

I heard that the 'basic' model would be a cardboard-box, with a picture of a Samsung notepad and new-PM Ms Yingluck, on the cover. :o

Sort of a 'dummy laptop', just like the dummy-policemen or the dummy traffic-cameras, and when it is discovered by the expectant-students to not work, it will then be moved sideways into an 'inactive position', but I may be wrong about all this. :lol:

PTP may keep their pre-election promise, and Thai Airways will shortly-thereafter announce a new operating-division, for flying-kwai ! Motto "Smooth as Pig-Poo !" :bah:

OK,one more down...

Does any one keep track of the promises they made, those that are scrapped already, those that are soon to be scrapped?

Should be an interesting reading

The only one that they denied but that is going full steam is .... bringing Thaksin back...

Any school ready to use tablet computers for teaching and learning will be given the tools early next year, Education Minister Woravat Auapinyakul told Nation Multimedia Group (NMG) yesterday.

He urged interested schools to prepare their teachers and students well to embrace the opportunity, as only schools that can prove they are capable of making use of the tablets will be chosen.

So, the poor schools who can not afford to train their teachers won't be able to get the tablets.

Score -1 for the poor again.

My Thai wife's parents back in the village made a big thing of the fact that students would all have Apple iPads if the new Government won power

My wife said nothing as she has no right to an opinion in her village although she is Uni educated

The sad part is her village still believes all the things they promised will come

Why is your wife not allowed an opinion in her village?

Personally I feel so desperately sad for the people of this country, especially for the ones that have been deliberately and financially uneducated. They, for some unknown reason, continue to believe so much of what the people in power say, while on the other hand they look around at where they live and see nothing but monumental mismanagement.

If the governments of the past can't organise an effective and honest police force, can't repair roads, continue to allow unrestricted or controlled development,,,, ad infinitum,,,,, how do they honestly believe what anyone says.

I seriously admire their devotion, however I desperately question their powers of observation.

Why is your wife not allowed an opinion in her village?

simple, its a RED village

no descent is allowed or else!

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. These peoples feet have many holes in them. Intelligence dictates that after one shot it hurts and you quit shooting (learn) and don't do it again. I just wonder when the next shot will come.

True, they lurck from one statement to the next statement about the ipads, just clutching at straws. Clearly there still is no real integrated planning of how, when the tablets could be used, the content, the technology support, etc etc.

And now they insult /blame older teachers as the reason why tablets won't be introduced quickly or perhaps ever at some schools.

Further delays in the discussions yesterday in regard to implementing the 300Baht daily wage, with some government people saying it should be implemented over 4 years.

The 15,000Baht starting salary for new graduates now in a mess with all sorts of complications.

Now we wait for the backtracking on the promise of 'everybody will be rich in six months'.

Incapable insincere liars, nothing less.

Edited by scorecard

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. These peoples feet have many holes in them. Intelligence dictates that after one shot it hurts and you quit shooting (learn) and don't do it again. I just wonder when the next shot will come.

soon, no doubt

thaksinshotinfoot.gif

Brilliant!! :cheesy:

True, they lurch from one statement to the next statement about the ipads, just clutching at straws. Clearly there still is no real integrated planning of how, when the tablets could be used, the content, the technology support, etc etc.

And now they insult /blame older teachers as the reason why tablets won't be introduced quickly or perhaps ever at some schools.

Further delays in the discussions yesterday in regard to implementing the 300Baht daily wage, with some government people saying it should be implemented over 4 years.

The 15,000Baht starting salary for new graduates now in a mess with all sorts of complications.

Now we wait for the backtracking on the promise of 'everybody will be rich in six months'.

Incapable insincere liars, nothing less.

One of their programs has, however, even expanded and seems well on track.

from the Tax Deductions For Up To Bt500.000: First Time Home Buyers thread:

Interesting development on the home buyer scheme with the increase in the limit for mortgages to 5 million baht from 2 million earlier.

SC Asset (the Shinawatra company that Yingluck just left and now run by Thaksin's daughter other sister) has 1,700 houses that are now eligible for the scheme.

The potential increase to their real estate business comes to 5.1 Billion Baht.

Score another for the rural poor.

They'll get a tax break when they buy a 5 million baht villa.

rah rah rah

Edited by Buchholz

soon, no doubt

thaksinshotinfoot.gif

People who have posted derogatory images/cartoons of Thai public figures have had them removed. Why is this still on here. Ask Yoon to get one of his staff to remove it

Have they announced the exact make and model? Or are they holding back in anticipation of a flood of criticism?

I wonder if it's going to be something like this one: Worst gadget ever? Ars reviews a $99 Android tablet

Recently I tested a cheap no-name brand tablet computer at Panthip Plaza in Pratunam and it was slow and not very responsive or accurate to finger touches. But those who have never used a tablet computer (or any computer) would not realize how bad it is, and maybe that is one of the assumptions that Pheu Thai are working from.

Curious to learn what these "basic and advanced specs" might be :rolleyes:

basic model

Excellent....have you heard the joke about Gary Glitter and the Etch-a-sketch ?