New Nissan Almera

Nissan are just about to officially launch the new Almera - it's 4-door version of the March eco-car.

But while it shares the March's 1.2L CVT drivetrain, size-wise it's a direct competitor for the VIOS and City.

Dimensions:

Almera: 4425mm (L) x 1695mm (W) x 1500mm (H), wheelbase: 2600mm

VIOS: 4300mm (L) x 1700mm (W) x 1460mm (H), wheelbase: 2550mm

City: 4415mm (L) x 1695mm (W) x 1470mm (H), wheebase: 2550mm

Models:

1.2L S 5MT

1.2L E 5MT

1.2L E CVT

1.2L ES CVT

1.2L V CVT

1.2L VL CVT

Drivetrain:

The HR12DE 1.2L engine is borrowed from it's March brother and continues to make 79HP/106Nm. It also retains the idle stop/start system even though it would appear the Almera won't actually be eligible for the special eco-car tax break due to price.

Safety:

ABS is only available on the ES, V and VL grades, with driver's only airbag on the S and E models, and dual front airbags for the higher grades.

Features:

E grade and higher get upgraded seat trims, separate head rests, driver's seat height adjust, rear seat centre armrest, map lights, a CD player, electric windows, electric mirrors and central locking.

ES and higher get ABS and dual airbags, climate control aircon, and folding side mirrors.

V adds a rear trunk spolier, steering wheel controls, trunk light, a multi function display, remote trunk opener, larger 15" alloy wheels and some additional silver adornments inside.

The top spec VL grade then adds the "intelligent key" system with keyless entry and an engine start button, rain sensing wipers, a vanity mirror and card holder in the flip-down sun visors, and fog lights.

Colors:

Greyish Bronze, Brilliant Silver, Black Star, White Solid, Burning Red and Dark Blue.

Pricing is currently still embargoed, but will start from low 400's for the base grade, up to mid-high 500's for the top model.

I'll update with pics and pricing when the embargo is over - unless someone else beats me to it :)

Well, no need to post pics, as Nissan updated their website just after the 3PM embargo ended..

Pricing:

1.2 S 5MT - 429,000 (first car buyer rebate: 60,000 = 369,000 with rebate)

1.2 E 5MT - 455,000 (first car buyer rebate: 64,000 = 391,000 with rebate)

1.2 E CVT - 489,000 (first car buyer rebate: 69,000 = 420,000 with rebate)

1.2 ES CVT - 523,000 (first car buyer rebate: 73,000 = 459,000 with rebate)

1.2 V CVT - 563,000 (first car buyer reabte: 79,000 = 484,000 with rebate)

1.2 VL CVT - 599,000 (first car buyer reabte: 84,000 = 515,000 with rebate)

Offical website:

http://www2.nissan.co.th/almera/

Brochure download:

http://www2.nissan.c.../e-brochure.pdf

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Would it really kill Nissan to design a good looking car?

So true.

This has definite design roots in the Teana, and whether or not that's your cup of tea, it does have a more classy look than the VIOS, and doesn't have anyhwere near the quirkinness of the Mazda2 or Fiesta 4-door designs... So that leaves only the Honda City, but I have to say the whole "Battlestar Galactica' styling of it is starting to wear thin on me too ;)

Bottom line is, I don't think there's any B-segment Thai made 4-door that's going to win any design awards ;)

I think with a mild body update side skirts / rear skirt so they match the front / spoiler and some slightly larger / wider wheels (i know warranty implications) and an exciting colour it will look a lot better, just a pity you won' t be able to say i've got a 'Versa ' although perhaps theres a market for rebadging as with early Jazz's to Fit's.

That is an amazing price for a family car, and I assume it is going to be very fuel efficient with that engine. My only concern is that it may be too under-powered. If it actually pulls okay with that engine in it then it is surely set to become a huge seller. Look out Honda and Toyota!

That is an amazing price for a family car, and I assume it is going to be very fuel efficient with that engine. My only concern is that it may be too under-powered. If it actually pulls okay with that engine in it then it is surely set to become a huge seller. Look out Honda and Toyota!

The Almera is quoted to achieve 20KM/L, so ~30% more fuel effecient than Vios/City.

It's also lighter by ~100KG, so power:weight doesn't suffer as much as the low HP suggests, but still not up to 1.5L performance.

Also, the Almera does in fact qualify for the special eco-car excise tax as it's positioned as the March sedan (thus qualifying on the <400K baht criteria based on the cheapest March model), and Nissan are now lobbying the gov't to increase the excise tax refund for first car buyers to more than 100% on the March/Almera, as it claims eco-cars have been disadvantaged by the scheme..

Good luck to them with that :whistling:

The Almera is quoted to achieve 20KM/L, so ~30% more fuel effecient than Vios/City.

It's also lighter by ~100KG, so power:weight doesn't suffer as much as the low HP suggests, but still not up to 1.5L performance.

Also, the Almera does in fact qualify for the special eco-car excise tax as it's positioned as the March sedan (thus qualifying on the <400K baht criteria based on the cheapest March model), and Nissan are now lobbying the gov't to increase the excise tax refund for first car buyers to more than 100% on the March/Almera, as it claims eco-cars have been disadvantaged by the scheme..

Good luck to them with that :whistling:

wonder if Honda will ever manufactor the 399k baht Brio, as the cheapest one presently available is 470k baht :rolleyes:

i went to look at the car yesterday looks good for the price but i would worry about the power 1.2 engine,for the body size 1.5min.pass.

• 2 weeks later...

I've test drove the Almera today and it is what it should be...lots of room inside,easy getting in/out(and I'm 6'1),the engine is small,so can't expect much,but with 4 people inside it was doing OK in the city/highway driving.You got to keep your foot down sometime to keep up with the fast traffic,but no major problems.The ride was smooth and easy...The km/l indicator showed12.8 average,that with my heavy foot on the gas,so not to bad for the city driving.The most impressing is the space inside,with my seat quite back you still can put another big person behind...

There is only one thing that badder me...the first time I saw it,I've got the impression that somehow it reminds me A4,which somebody tried to copy,but didn't want to be recognized,so it was "camouflaged" with some creases and flat panels etc.I guess they've succided in "butchering" it and with this short front and "cut of" rear end looks somehow terrible....but hey,can't complain much,the price is right at 599K....

Compared to the March:

The top-spec Almera is only 42KG heavier than a top-spec March, so performance-wise it's very close between them around town, but the Almera does a littl better at highway speeds due to it's superior aerodynamics. The Almera is quieter on the move, has a more comfortable ride (edging towards mushy), and has tons more space/practicality.

It's a hard to ignore if you're shopping for a lower B-segment car IMHO.

Compared to the March:

The top-spec Almera is only 42KG heavier than a top-spec March, so performance-wise it's very close between them around town, but the Almera does a littl better at highway speeds due to it's superior aerodynamics. The Almera is quieter on the move, has a more comfortable ride (edging towards mushy), and has tons more space/practicality.

Sounds good....but I'm thinking about this little engine and all the new technology,how long will it last ?Also the transmission is something new and sophisticated(xtronic cvt??)..I've asked about it at the dealership,but those kids there don't know anything more than the brochure says...since I don't know much about it as well,always try to learn some new things...still have to wait for the delivery until January(been told),so there is time to think about it....I guess there is nothing else new in this category coming soon,is it ??

Just out of curiosity,if somebody wants to go even further in fuel economy(this one tested showed 12.8 km/L in city driving),is the conversion to LPG/CNG still possible(except the guarantee issues) ??...Thanks like always MRO...

Sounds good....but I'm thinking about this little engine and all the new technology,how long will it last ?Also the transmission is something new and sophisticated(xtronic cvt??)..

Yeah anything new is dicey. For sure I'd opt for the 5-speed manual transmission.

Sounds good....but I'm thinking about this little engine and all the new technology,how long will it last ?Also the transmission is something new and sophisticated(xtronic cvt??)..

Yeah anything new is dicey. For sure I'd opt for the 5-speed manual transmission.

CVT's have been around for ages. Sure things can go wrong but they are designed for economy and getting the most power out of the smallest capacity engine to the wheels.

Wandrinstar- I was referring of course to the styling (hints of Teana)- not the build or performance, but yep an entry level Civic is not far off the Top spec Jazz, if you don't mind a manual Transmission and less carrying space.

The Nissan engine and Jatco CVT in the Almera are the same as what's been in the March for 19 months now, and I haven't heard any reports of the having issues or faults...

A Jatco CVT (next model up from what's used in the Almera/March) has been used in the Teana for almost 4 years now, also without any common issues/faults.

It seems many people still remember how terrible the Honda-made CVT was in the Jazz/City - it has no relationship at all to the Jatco ones used by Nissan though ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

• 3 weeks later...

Compared to the March:

Sounds good....but I'm thinking about this little engine and all the new technology,how long will it last ?Also the transmission is something new and sophisticated(xtronic cvt??)..I've asked about it at the dealership,but those kids there don't know anything more than the brochure says...since I don't know much about it as well,always try to learn some new things...still have to wait for the delivery until January(been told),so there is time to think about it....I guess there is nothing else new in this category coming soon,is it ??

Just out of curiosity,if somebody wants to go even further in fuel economy(this one tested showed 12.8 km/L in city driving),is the conversion to LPG/CNG still possible(except the guarantee issues) ??...Thanks like always MRO...

I think it's possible. As I've given my newly LPG converted car to the ex as it's in her name, and I'm in the market for a new car, I'm definitely going to buy it and have it converted to LPG immediately.

How is the Almera rated 20km/l??? That's witchcraft - it's a saloon car! I drove a friend's March recently and 20km/l makes sense, it's so small - I got out thinking "There's more to life than fuel economy .....". But the Almera??? I'm lucky to get 13km/l (no highway) in my manual transmission Honda City whilst driving as carefully as if it were made from pieces of my own children. How has Nissan done this? I watched the CVT video on Nissan's website, maybe that's how.

How is the Almera rated 20km/l??? That's witchcraft - it's a saloon car! I drove a friend's March recently and 20km/l makes sense, it's so small - I got out thinking "There's more to life than fuel economy .....". But the Almera??? I'm lucky to get 13km/l (no highway) in my manual transmission Honda City whilst driving as carefully as if it were made from pieces of my own children. How has Nissan done this? I watched the CVT video on Nissan's website, maybe that's how.

Almera uses the same engine, gearbox and idle-stop system as the March, and even though it's much larger it's only 42KG heavier, and has better aerodynamics than the March.

Reminds me slightly of the remarkably unattractive honda city previous generation (new design much improved), also roof resembles the older passat highlines, and can see some teeana cues in it too.

Inside looks pretty good though and as wandarinstar said it definately represents good value, the 1.2 motor seems to address rising fuel prices but fully laden with suitcases and passengers that 1.2 will not let its struggle be unaudible.