Bangkok's Neighbours Shoulder Flood Burden

webfact

Bangkok's neighbours shoulder flood burden

Focus by Amelie Bottollier-Depois

BANG PAHAN, October 8, 2011 (AFP) - As Thailand battles to keep its worst floods in decades from swamping Bangkok, anger is growing among residents upriver who say their homes are being sacrificed to keep the capital dry.

"I pay the same tax as the people in Bangkok, why didn't they think of me too?" said a teary-eyed Wanpen Rittisarn, standing knee-deep in brown water in the centre of Bang Pahan, about 100 kilometres (60 miles) north of the capital.

The 41-year-old said she had to abandon her home after it was inundated by two metres (six feet) of water, seeking the relative safety of the nearby town, which has now also been overrun by floodwaters.

"I'm having a hard time here. Who will care for me?" she said.

More than 250 Thais have died after two months of heavy rainfall which have inundated large swathes of the country and hit provinces on the northern outskirts of the capital particularly hard.

Huge efforts are now under way to stop the waters from reaching low-lying Bangkok, home to 12 million people, prompting pleas from some residents north of the city for sluice gates be raised to release floodwater.

But Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra warned in a nationally televised address on Friday that the country faced a deepening crisis and the floods would "directly affect Bangkok."

The authorities have defended their emphasis on the capital at a time when millions of people elsewhere have seen their homes or livelihoods damaged by the floods, which have hit three-quarters of the country.

"Bangkok is the heart of Thailand and is the heart of our economy," said a disaster prevention official who asked not to be named.

Walls of sandbags have been erected along the Chao Phraya river that flows through the city. Boats, their engines running, are also being used to help push the excess water out to sea.

And thanks to a complex irrigation system of canals and reservoirs, the authorities have been able to divert rain water away from the capital to "empty agricultural land".

"We are not trying to overprotect Bangkok to give the burden to others," the official insisted, but "we try to avoid an influx of a huge amount of flood (water) that could ruin our whole economy."

Already economists at the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce estimate that the floods have caused damage of 104 billion baht (3.4 billion dollars) and will curb annual economic output by about one percent.

The annual monsoon floods are causing more material fallout with each passing year, according to the International Strategy for Disaster Reduction, a UN body.

Houses and crops have been destroyed, schools and hospitals ruined and tens of thousands of families displaced, not only in Thailand but also in Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos.

Uncontrolled urbanisation is at least partly to blame, Hang Thi Thanh Pham, UNISDR programme officer for Southeast Asia, told AFP.

"The linkage between rising disaster risks and poorly governed urbanisation is obvious," she said.

"More and more people are settling in flood-prone zones and high population density is a risk driver where the quality of housing, infrastructure and services is poor."

Governments in the region have taken steps to limit flood damage through a range of initiatives, such as building dams and dykes and using early warning systems.

But "it has been proven that our preparation measures and prevention methods that we have been using in the past decade are not enough," the Thai disaster official said, calling for a more regional approach to prevention efforts.

"We have to focus more on investment in prevention measures to prepare for incoming disasters because we can't reorganise or replan the whole country."

Bangkok, located on the gradually sinking Chao Phraya delta, has been classified by the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development as one of the cities most at risk from coastal flooding by 2070.

A key test for the authorities is expected in mid-October when large amounts of run-off water reaches the capital and high tides make it harder for the floods to flow out to sea. More storms are also expected.

"Every canal in Bangkok is already at full capacity. If more rain comes it's likely that Bangkok will be inundated," said Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra.

While the crisis is providing an early test for Yingluck after just two months in office, not all the flood victims in Bang Pahan blame the government for their woes.

"I don't think the authorities can do anything, said Somsuay Rumrattana, 41, donning a bright orange life jacket and a shower cap. "If it didn't flood here, it would flood in Bangkok. That's not good either."

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-08

At long last we're starting to hear some of the discontent of those whose lives have been wrecked by this protection at all costs of the great Siamese capital. Read yesterday that Abhisit spent 44,000,000,000 baht on flood prevention measures for the city alone.....draining the central bank's coffers in the process. Any truth in that?....Who knows.

If tens of thousands of Bangkok factories and businesses go under water the country has a real problem. At least a paradise for looters in boats, just like what's going on bigtime in those provinces to the immediate north.

Did you see that front page story in Thai Rath the other day? People forced out of their homes living on the side of the road got sprayed with "sleeping gas" and then robbed of what little possessions they had managed to salvage from the deluge of built up rivers unable to blocked from flowing to Bangkok and the sea. It's interesting stuff.

Im pretty sure they flooded the provinces on purpose so Bangkok can keep its feet dry. Also all those flooding might mean they have to pay less for the rice sceme as much farmland is flooded.

Of course it was done on purpose. Since when have the elite Thais living in the capital given a crap about upcountry people? The only time they care is when they are trying to manipulate the poor for votes. Once that's finished it's back to business as usual..driving around in their lambos and looting the country's coffers.

I'm right in the red disaster zone in Ayuttaya. No food or water here. Can't get out. My son 5 months old here too..

Still have electricity though? Been thinking about buying a cheap gas stove today

years ago when I lived in Silom area, when river was high, water came up into the streets thru the drains. Our house began flooding from the drain in the downstairs bathroom. Sandbags and embankments won'y make much difference if the river stays high for a few days.

Im pretty sure they flooded the provinces on purpose so Bangkok can keep its feet dry. Also all those flooding might mean they have to pay less for the rice sceme as much farmland is flooded.

But a widespread failed rice-crop might mean a trade-deficit since we might have to start importing rice to cover local usage...and promised exports.

No, it isn't done on purpose, not even I think PT is that evil.

In competent, yes, selfish, yes, but not outright evil for no benefit of their own.

And I hope people realize that if 1 square km of village is flooded and 500 people is affected, then having 1 square kilometer of central Bangkok flooded and 5000 people affected is a far worse situation.

What would you choose?

And I hope people realize that if 1 square km of village is flooded and 500 people is affected, then having 1 square kilometer of central Bangkok flooded and 5000 people affected is a far worse situation.

What would you choose?

Im right in Ayuttaya centre... no way out.. no food or water can come in.. Im sure its easier to help people in Bkk.... :-(

Its not just peacefull flood waters like in the pics.. its a torrent outside.. very dangerous...

Edited by justaphase

What would you choose?

Im right in Ayuttaya centre... no way out.. no food or water can come in.. Im sure its easier to help people in Bkk.... :-(

Its not just peacefull flood waters like in the pics.. its a torrent outside.. very dangerous...

What is easier, fly in supplies for 500 people or 5000 people?

Yingluck has said she protecting Bkk cos of the businesses, not the people there.

Well, the rich can handle themselves in BKK, the poor in the slums...who cares about them, eh?

Maybe that is what she meant.

A bunch of negative comments are not going to help anyone or anything. The amount of water that has come this year is more than anything I've seen in the 28 years I have been in Thailand. Nature is more powerful and any government in the end. Obviously with a huge percent of the population of Thailand in Bangkok, and it being the heart of the country in so many ways, does it not make common senses to do one's best to protect it from a calamity? Whether they are successful remains to be seen, but I certainly do not want to see Bangkok submerged also.

I am saddened to see all the flooding upstream; people and animals are suffering. But I cannot blame this on the government protecting Bangkok.

It appears every year, Bangkok get an inch of water that wets their feet and immediately, they start their usual whining.

Meanwhile, the rice baskets and the farmers further North have to suffer 2 metres of water (for months at a time) to keep the "chosen few" dry! Pray they don't get their patent plastic shoes wet, in case their heels or soles fall off, or their cheap Chinese trouser may shrink!.

I watched some sad moaning bitch the other day in Bangkok on the TV, she had a noodle stall, fat legs, a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp, hair in the usual HiSo bird nest. She was all upity beside herself, with her fat arse and fat legs and sour face and white white complexion, and whingeing cause the water was almost up to her fat ankles!!!!!!!

I like the quotes from De Niro in Taxi Driver - (They seem rather fitting)

"Thank God for the rain to wash the trash off the sidewalk."

" I think someone should just take this city and just... just flush it down the <snip!> toilet. "

"All the animals come out at night - whores, skunk pussies, buggers, queens, fairies, dopers, junkies, sick, venal. Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets"

Open the floodgates, all of them!

Edited by metisdead
Expletive removed.

It appears every year, Bangkok get an inch of water that wets their feet and immediately, they start their usual whining.

Meanwhile, the rice baskets and the farmers further North have to suffer 2 metres of water to keep the "chosen few" dry!

I like the quote from De Niro in Taxi Driver - "Thank God for the rain to wash the trash off the sidewalk."

Your statement is utter nonsense. Considering that Bangkok stands for more than 2/3 of the GDP in Thailand people in charge won't take a chance that the capitol comes to a standstill. The impact would be a nationwide one as it would be a fiscal/productivity disaster that would not only harm farmers but all other folk all over Thailand who need goods and supplies from the city to keep their own businesses up and running or people who depend on payments from the government. Apart from that it is virtually impossible to provide emergency services (food, water) for 15 million when streets are flooded one and a half ft. and more up. Think about it, this is not about elite. It's about the fact that 15 Mio people in one city with much more infrastructure are more important to the whole country than a wooden shack next to a rice paddy. That is dramatic and maybe unfair towards countryfolk but so is life.

Meanwhile, the rice baskets and the farmers further North have to suffer 2 metres of water to keep the "chosen few" dry!

I like the quote from De Niro in Taxi Driver - "Thank God for the rain to wash the trash off the sidewalk."

Your statement is utter nonsense. Considering that Bangkok stands for more than 2/3 of the GDP in Thailand people in charge won't take a chance that the capitol comes to a standstill. The impact would be a nationwide one as it would be a fiscal/productivity disaster that would not only harm farmers but all other folk all over Thailand who need goods and supplies from the city to keep their own businesses up and running or people who depend on payments from the government. Apart from that it is virtually impossible to provide emergency services (food, water) for 15 million when streets are flooded one and a half ft. and more up. Think about it, this is not about elite. It's about the fact that 15 Mio people in one city with much more infrastructure are more important to the whole country than a wooden shack next to a rice paddy. That is dramatic and maybe unfair towards countryfolk but so is life.

You miss the point - IT HAPPENS YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR - They do nothing about it! They do nothing at all to protect the city, all they ever do is talk talk talk, and then let the rest of Thailand flood again.

Why don't they get off their &lt;deleted&gt; and put some real preventative measures in place?

It is OK saying that 15 million live in the city, with all its infrastructure and commercial benefits, why don't they solve the problem LONG TERM!

They do absolutely nothing other than a pile of bloody sandbags.

Because a program like this would take much more than one election term, the benefits could be claimed by somebody else. No immediate kickbacks but on the other hand lots of money to be made with annual flood operations. Face it, this is Thailand... The guy in charge for flood operations has 30 Mio USD in his account, likes to eat Lion and Tiger and is keen to put as much vessels as possible into the rivers to propel the water into the sea. Just to remind you... the party of this brilliant mind was elected by the people who suffer from floods and droughts almost every year. Well done.

I watched some sad moaning bitch the other day in Bangkok on the TV, she had a noodle stall, fat legs, a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp, hair in the usual HiSo bird nest. She was all upity beside herself, with her fat arse and fat legs and sour face and white white complexion, and whingeing cause the water was almost up to her fat ankles!!!!!!!

Having a noodle stall is being hiso now? Has the economy tumbled that much or is it a comparison-indicator regarding your economy?

You miss the point - IT HAPPENS YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR - They do nothing about it! They do nothing at all to protect the city, all they ever do is talk talk talk, and then let the rest of Thailand floods again.

Why don't they get off their &lt;deleted&gt; and put some real preventative measures in place?

It is OK saying that 15 million live in the city, with all its infrastructure and commercial benefits, why don't they solve the problem LONG TERM!

If it generates 2/3rds of the GDP - try spending a bit of it on stopping it flooding in a way that makes sense - <snip!>

Have you considered that if the PTP weren't spending 400 billion baht on subsidising the price of rice, that money could be used for flood mitigation, education,..............................and even cloud seeding if needed.

Edited by metisdead
Expletives removed.

You miss the point - IT HAPPENS YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR - They do nothing about it! They do nothing at all to protect the city, all they ever do is talk talk talk, and then let the rest of Thailand flood again.

Because a program like this would take much more than one election term, the benefits could be claimed by somebody else. No immediate kickbacks but on the other hand lots of money to be made with annual flood operations. Face it, this is Thailand... The guy in charge for flood operations has 30 Mio USD in his account, likes to eat Lion and Tiger and is keen to put as much vessels as possible into the rivers to propel the water into the sea. Just to remind you... the party of this brilliant mind was elected by the people who suffer from floods and droughts almost every year. Well done.

How many "Election Terms" do they want? it has been going on with their "Democracy" since 1932...(maybe the year dot- who knows just how rotten the fruit on this tree actually is?) .regardless of who is in power, same old problems, same old bullshit, same old corruption same old thieving.....there will never be a change in Thailand to sort out the mess they are in until THE DRASTIC change comes about. I must admit, I would love the contract for the yearly sandbag supply -

The whole thing about protecting Bangkok, is as you say, the Capitol / Capital - but I think it runs a little deeper...protecting the seat of power, it is nothing more than that, it has nothing to do with factories, industry, it is simply the protection of an institution.

Edited by Willeyeam

Well this is an open invite to any TV members who are displaced by the flooding.

We have 3 rooms spare here in Lat Krabang (BKK), but no kids! Sorry!

PM me before 2PM cos I'll be out for the rugger.

Nice one.

Thank you for being a human.

Take care