Best Massage In Town?

DocHolliday2006

Hi.

I'm looking for a good massage place.

Personally, I"m not a big fan of the "light rubbing" type of massage. I like it to me be deep for them them to really dive into the muscle.

"deep tissue," I think it's called.

I can be Thai massage, but just firm thai massage.

Any suggestions for really good places in CM?

Thanks.

Let s relax,over the mc donald night market.......gooood

First post from a newbie and he recommends a tourist shop in the Night Bazaar.

Not much credibility there.

Let's Relax is a reasonable shop, but costly, because you pay for fancy decor and you pay for the expensive location in the middle of the Night Bazaar.

Any experienced massage client will know it all depends on the skill and experience of the massage therapist, not the decor of the shop.

And that leads to the crux of the OP's original question.

It's a reasonable request, but poorly asked.

What's important is the individual doing the massage, because -- and here is the key -- most shops in CM now are using freelancers.

Not all, but most, depend on freelancers who circulate around the city, going from shop to shop, when they are called.

When you walk in to those shops, you will be offered a cup of tea, then a cool towel, then a bowl of warm water to soak your feet.

In the meantime, the receptionist is on the phone, frantically calling around to find some freelancer who is available at that moment.

The freelancer will rush in to the shop, go in back and put on the uniform of the shop, and then proceed with your massage.

In short: There is no quality control and no consistent quality in most shops in CM anymore.

What to do?

First, you can go around and try a lot of shops until you find someone whose style of massage you like.

Then make appointments for that therapist, at that shop.

Second, you can upgrade your massages to a "spa", where there will be some permanent staff.

Again, when you find one you like, make appointments with her.

Third, you can get references of freelancers who are known good.

The freelancer will go to your home and give you the massage there.

That's cheaper for you, because you are just paying her alone -- no shop fee -- but the massage will be identical.

I will recommend one, small, spa and the name of one particular therapist there, with whom I have experience.

The name is Spa Aromdee.

New-- just opened in August -- and immaculately clean.

Location Sirimangkalajarn Road -- runs parallel with Nimmanhaemin.

Spa Aromdee is in the same block as the 7-Eleven in the middle of Sirimangkalajan Road.

I don't think they have a web site, but I'm not sure -- Google will know.

The terapist I recommend is a full-time employee: Miss Jeh. แจ้

Thai massage -- ask for strong to get the deep tissue effect -- 600 baht for 90 minutes.

They have a very liberal discount plan for regular customers: pay for 3 massages, get one hour free.

I've never seen such a generous discount plan anywhere else.

Perhaps it's just because they are new.

Finally, I have one particular freelancer with whom I've had a standing appointment to come to my place, twice a week, for almost three years now.

That's my way of recommending her.

She is strong, and she has "knowing hands" that seem to find all the knots in the muscles.

No phone numbers here so send a message to me if you want to get in contact.

For both of these ladies, no "special" services; just massage.

-- One Man

Edited by Oneman

There aare quite a few massage shop in the Night Bazaar area with a staff on hand. Why any one would walk into a shop with out some one there to give a massage is beyond me.

Look around try many and find one you like. Just because some one else likes them does not mean they are good. If you are into pain get them to use those sticks. OUCH

I would wish you good luck in your search but no luck needed just try several you will find the one for you.

What the heck Good Luck

I don't think one place can ever have a consistently good massage.

It really depends on the person giving the massage and what kind on mood they are in.

My experience is the older women will give a much tougher massage (Which I like)...

I usually tell them "Phom choop nuat rang rang"...

But be forewarned this sometimes leads to a Thai form of enhanced interrogation :shock1:

As a sideline there is a great Chinese style foot massage place inside the moat on Ratchadamnoen Rd (Across from the Writers Club) that gives a great acupressure foot massage!...

I'll share two:

1 - Home Massage on Loi Kroh road. It's between the 2 wats on the left hand side going from the moat to the night bazaar. Even though it's surrounded by "special" massage places, this one is really the best. The owner trains all her staff and most have been there since I know this shop - 8 years?!

Home Massage has the best foot massage I know of in Chiang Mai. Which says a lot as a good foot massage is really hard to find. A good foot massage affects the whole body via acupressure points.

Anyway they're very good for Thai massage as well. Cheap too.

2 - Mr. Baan in Pai. While not in CM, this is the best massage I know, period. It's run by a 70+ year old massage master from Bangkok who relocated to Pai. He looks 20 years younger than he is... both him and his wife are amazing.

As for the tourist places - they massage they offer isn't any worse or better than any other place, so most of your money goes towards the decor / location. Not worth it. The best shops are the small shops and older massage therapists. If they're too young or pretty or dress sexy, then it's likely a place with crap massage but extra services.

There's a place which does massages right near the women's prison. The staff are inmates from the prison and I believe part of the funds go towards programs for them etc. Myself, a farang mate, and a thai mate went and were all impressed. A pretty good version of the thai style massage. No funny stuff as it is all above board and there's always an officer nearby.

The girls at Jimmy's Travel used to be quite good, and so is Jimmy's wife. But, they were recently flooded so I'm not sure how their shop survived. In any case the girls work on the second floor. Jimmy's travel is on Chang Khlan road, kiddy corner across from the start of the night market area on the south end near Pantip Plaza. Jimmy's is about 5 or 6 shops south of the corner.

I go to Chut Thai which is almost directly across the street of the 7-11 on CM-Hangdong Rd just a block or so south of Big C.... This place is located on the West side of the road and just a block or so north of the store that has the big Sony sign up front. Like I said it's almost directly across the rd from 7-11... I've been going there every other week or so for almost a yr now... It's a very clean place and the girls do marvels.... PM me and I'll send you a link to the website as I'm not so sure I can post it here....

Blind massage in Santitham (near the roundabout, sorry can't be more specific). 100 Baht an hour. I've only been once (recently), but it was probably the best back massage I've ever had. It hurt at the time, and for a day or so after, but after that the pain and stiffness was gone.

It seems that it is true that once one sense is diminished, the others are sharper.

1 - Home Massage on Loi Kroh road. It's between the 2 wats on the left hand side going from the moat to the night bazaar. Even though it's surrounded by "special" massage places, this one is really the best. The owner trains all her staff and most have been there since I know this shop - 8 years?!

Just to reinforce what others have said ... and using 'Home' as an example ... you do need to get into the habit of writing down the masseuses name (to either ask for next time - or avoid at all costs).

I have been to 'Home' about 4 times after seeing strong recommendations in TV. I tried different people and had massages that ranged from below-average to average to very good. They may all be regular staff - but you still get that variability even within a shop that has a generally good reputation. And of course you can't entirely rule out subjective/individual preferences. My last massage was a home visit lady that I also read about in this forum "Thai Sapaya" (San sai area only) with whom I was impressed and will use again (& for the record ... no funny business asked or offered with any of the above)

Edited by chiangmaibruce

Blind massage in Santitham (near the roundabout, sorry can't be more specific). 100 Baht an hour. I've only been once (recently), but it was probably the best back massage I've ever had. It hurt at the time, and for a day or so after, but after that the pain and stiffness was gone.

It seems that it is true that once one sense is diminished, the others are sharper.

Recently...?I believe 3 months ago they changed the price to 120 p/hour on the 2nd floor.

It was about 4 months ago I went. Fairly recent. I remember the price for the aircon room was more expensive than the fan room.

Still 120B/hr is hardly going to break the bank, and I think you would be hard pushed to find a better massage at that price.

I'll share two:

Home Massage has the best foot massage I know of in Chiang Mai. Which says a lot as a good foot massage is really hard to find. A good foot massage affects the whole body via acupressure points.

Anyway they're very good for Thai massage as well. Cheap too.

2 - Mr. Baan in Pai. While not in CM, this is the best massage I know, period. It's run by a 70+ year old massage master from Bangkok who relocated to Pai. He looks 20 years younger than he is... both him and his wife are amazing.

As for the tourist places - they massage they offer isn't any worse or better than any other place, so most of your money goes towards the decor / location. Not worth it. The best shops are the small shops and older massage therapists. If they're too young or pretty or dress sexy, then it's likely a place with crap massage but extra services.

Homeicidal massage. Is that the place owned by that arrogant pig headed Jock?

About 2 years ago I stumbled in there and behind a counter was this Scottish guy. Typical mad fighting Angus, with the ginger beard. He just stared at me as if I was one of the cast from the movie, Morons From Outer Space.

I asked if I could have a Thai massage for an hour. He shouted, don`t you understand that we are closing? I said, no, but all he had to say was, sorry, we are closing now, so why not come back another time.

Horrible man, had all the charm and charisma of an enraged gorilla. Certainly put me off from ever visiting that dive again.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Well Beetlejuice, screaming people & massage don't go well together. Unbelievable...

It was about 4 months ago I went. Fairly recent. I remember the price for the aircon room was more expensive than the fan room.

Still 120B/hr is hardly going to break the bank, and I think you would be hard pushed to find a better massage at that price.

It's still 20%, never mind the bahts. I tried almost every massagetherapist, some are really bad, some are really good. The one I always request knows how to hurt me, the more I say "chep, chep" (pain, pain) the harder he kneeds... so, just be quiet wink.gif

Well Beetlejuice, screaming people & massage don't go well together. Unbelievable...

It's still 20%, never mind the bahts. I tried almost every massagetherapist, some are really bad, some are really good. The one I always request knows how to hurt me, the more I say "chep, chep" (pain, pain) the harder he kneeds... so, just be quiet wink.gif

Yes, when I tell them it hurts they just tend to laugh and say they are 'sorry' but continue with the same pressure or harder.