Rv, Call Me Crazy

kanomk2

Been in Thailand for some time now and wanting some 'change'. Just bought an RV. An Izuzu based Vega. Looking for places to stay outside of National parks, small resorts, homesteads, farms of interest. Any suggestions apart from the obvious!Thanks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're crazy!!!! You told me to say it :D ! But seriously an RV? lucky you! I've always thought an RV here would be a great way to see the country..Good luck, myself haven't gotten out enough to make any recommendations :( ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Crazy

Are you looking to 'wild camp', that is in a secluded location that lacks any services?

Read a blog from 2 years ago of a swiss couple that spent several months 'wild camping' around SE Asia, and they spoke highly of all the nice pull outs located on back roads throughout Thailand AND the positive reactions from the locals they happened to meet in the wilds. The 2 motorcycle maps now available in CM will give you through coverage of the back roads in the NW.

Most importantly, do you have air conditioning?

Yes please, would love a picture.

As for where to stay, you can stay pretty much anywhere unless ity's private property. Within national parks they expect you to use the camping ground (small fee, especially compared to the high entrance fee), but outside of national parks you can stay anywhere.

How does it 'work' ? I guess aircon requires you to keep the truck engine running, or is there a separate engine/generator for that?

Also, in the North, hilltribe villages would be a prime place to stay. Also gives you easy access to a wash room (if you ask nicely) and some basic food or snacks. Not sure if the thing can be opened to let the breeze in, but in mountain villages you likely would not need air con most of the year.

Wow, an RV in Thailand......been my dream for a long time. Many options to stay here, I would think any rice farmer would allow it and also the parks. Also I'm sure that small resort owners would allow it for a small fee.

How many people does it sleep and what ammenities does it have?? shower?? refrigerator??

Emptying your septic......no problem on the open road. Just open the valve and let it go on open stretches of road....or simply dig a hole in the rice fields and run pipe in.

Buy a Garmin GPS with Thai maps and just take off in any direction. It's all interesting. But, also get a map book for a better perspective of where you are and where you expect to go. When I take a trip I make hand drawn maps using Google earth and mark out the way points I'm interested in. We just camp, but a smal RV would be much more comfortable.

From_Road_out_6.jpg

From_Road_out_5.jpg

From_Road_in_2.jpg

Nan_River_3.jpg

Sirikut_dam_6.jpg

Road_to_Pai_4.jpg

• Like 2

yes please post a picture. Did you buy it in Thailand or import? About 6-7 years ago i met a guy in the US importing RV's into South America had me thinking for awhile about importing into Thailand, but with no RV camps I didn't think it would be a big seller, maybe I should re-think this. Would open up the market for some RV parks too.

Please let us know where you bought it and if you dont mind give us an idea of the cost.

Thanks,

ERic

O man oh man Ian, one of those funny vans would be great here in the North West.

The road to Mae Ngao park was in much better condition as of July; not sure how the current rains effected it though. But that's a perfect example, as there are several nice spots we know from first hand experience would make great RV'ing camp sites. And that's just one of many backroads that offer up the whole mountain and river bling that area offers.

100_3254.JPG

100_3072.JPG

Edited by Fishenough

Now when I think of an RV and roughing it I think this would suit me just fine..... :rolleyes:

Nice to live in, Bob, but can you imagine trying to get it somewhere on the back roads in Thailand?

You don't drive it on those backroads, if the Thai's can drive tour buses the same size or larger then you can drive one of those to most destinations and tow along a car or truck, park the RV overlooking some nice rive spot, unhook the car/truck and go do your backroad or in town excursions..

I saw the market for this years ago unfortunately I couldn't find anyone else who had the sense and vision to see the opportunity so I shelved it unable to do it exclusively on my own.. One poster said he didn't think it would fly because no camps? That's really putting the cart before the horse as no one will put up a camp and sit there for eternity without RV's to camp in them. There is a huge market for both though, why not be a pioneer and do both RV's and parks it'd be far cheaper to make an RV/camping park then a resort..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Now when I think of an RV and roughing it I think this would suit me just fine..... :rolleyes:

Nice to live in, Bob, but can you imagine trying to get it somewhere on the back roads in Thailand?

You don't drive it on those backroads, if the Thai's can drive tour buses the same size or larger then you can drive one of those to most destinations and tow along a car or truck, park the RV overlooking some nice rive spot, unhook the car/truck and go do your backroad or in town excursions..

I saw the market for this years ago unfortunately I couldn't find anyone else who had the sense and vision to see the opportunity so I shelved it unable to do it exclusively on my own.. One poster said he didn't think it would fly because no camps? That's really putting the cart before the horse as no one will put up a camp and sit there for eternity without RV's to camp in them. There is a huge market for both though, why not be a pioneer and do both RV's and parks it'd be far cheaper to make an RV/camping park then a resort..

I think there might be a market for smaller RVs, but those big ones cost in excess of $200,000 (6 million baht). You can rent a reasonable room just about anywhere in Thailand for 400 to 500 baht a night without any investment or risk at all. In a country where the average wage is 200 baht a day, I don't see the advantage of a big motorhome. I live in Canada where many people can afford such an investment, but most people still stay in resorts. The advantage of an RV is being able to travel off the beaten path where there are no resorts or hotels. I know, I have one here in Canada and use mine all the time. It gets me to places where there's no accommodation within 100 km and sometimes much more. I could never get one of those big busses to the places I travel. My camper has a comfortable bed, a fridge, a stove, water and a toilet. It has enough propane to last 2 weeks in the bush, and a separate battery for lighting.

Jeep_road_3_Sierras.sized.jpg

Burnt_17.jpg

Fording_River_road.jpg

I think there might be a market for smaller RVs, but those big ones cost in excess of $200,000 (6 million baht). You can rent a reasonable room just about anywhere in Thailand for 400 to 500 baht a night without any investment or risk at all. In a country where the average wage is 200 baht a day, I don't see the advantage of a big motorhome. I live in Canada where many people can afford such an investment, but most people still stay in resorts. The advantage of an RV is being able to travel off the beaten path where there are no resorts or hotels. I know, I have one here in Canada and use mine all the time. It gets me to places where there's no accommodation within 100 km and sometimes much more. I could never get one of those big busses to the places I travel. My camper has a comfortable bed, a fridge, a stove, water and a toilet. It has enough propane to last 2 weeks in the bush, and a separate battery for lighting.

Burnt_17.jpg

Fording_River_road.jpg

Actually the prices on a used RV has dropped like a rock. I am currently sourcing 3 in the USA for accomodation units for a project in the oilfields of Oman. I have been quoted as low as $35,000 for a 10 year old 36 foot unit to $90,000 to a 40 foot 2007 model.

The pictures are from the 2007 quote......

Edited by Diablo Bob

Burnt_17.jpg

Fording_River_road.jpg

Granted the market here would not be outstanding I wasn't speaking to that point in my response. There is however no way to respond to the "there is plenty of cheap hotels" response as that is not the reason that ANYONE owns one in the first place no matter where they are. They own them because they provide a singular freedom and experience that a hotel does not.. They are your own mobile resort to park anywhere at any time and get away from everything else..

Here's another thought for you, if the average daily wage here is 200b? Who's buying all of these upscale condos and townhouses and how many sales per annum with a respectable mark up would you need to make to be successful?

It's quality, not quantity the other side of profit making that so many dismiss.. And let's not forget the return maintenance profitability.

Some people buy big luxurious homes and some people buy small ones or even shacks.

The latter is not the target market but the other 2 markets are well within reach and no need to limit ones market..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Burnt_17.jpg

Fording_River_road.jpg

Actually the prices on a used RV has dropped like a rock. I am currently sourcing 3 in the USA for accomodation units for a project in the oilfields of Oman. I have been quoted as low as $35,000 for a 10 year old 36 foot unit to $90,000 to a 40 foot 2007 model.

The pictures are from the 2007 quote......

Yep second hand definitely the way to go..

Burnt_17.jpg

Fording_River_road.jpg

Looking at that bottom pic and seeing then 'Canada' in your profile I would had thought someone else had found my favorite fishing river in Colorado... ohmy.gif

But I guess the Rockies look similar up and down the range...biggrin.gif

All this RV talk is making me want one even more than I have for the last several years here. I wonder what shipping and customs/duties would run on shipping a 2nd hand one from the US ?? A cab over type that fits on a truck that you could buy here in LOS??

I've checked prices in the US on line and see decent models ranging from less than $10K to $25K

Anyone have any ideas how much $$ to get one over here?? I think one would just fit in an 8x8ft container.

All this RV talk is making me want one even more than I have for the last several years here. I wonder what shipping and customs/duties would run on shipping a 2nd hand one from the US ?? A cab over type that fits on a truck that you could buy here in LOS??

You can forget about bringing the entire vehicle over as the tax/duty would be insane. However if it's just the cab by itself, that would fit over a Thai built pick-up (so considerably smaller than what's shown above) then that just might be feasible.

But they're also locally made; there are pictures floating around on the forum (motoring forum) of Toyota Vigo based campers.

I've checked prices in the US on line and see decent models ranging from less than $10K to $25K

Anyone have any ideas how much $$ to get one over here?? I think one would just fit in an 8x8ft container.

The cost for shipping from the USA depends on east or west coast. If from Calf for a 20' it would be around $3000 USD.

import costs Don't know, depends how the categorize it. One thing, for the one that goes on the back of a truck, don't think they make them for small trucks like what is sold here in Thailand I think they only make them for full size pickups so that might be a problem. If you get a real RV (motorhome) I think the import tax will be the same as for a car so the tax could be very high as one of the criteria for determining the tax is the engine size and i believe all the RV have at least an 8 cylinder. It would be nice to have one but just not sure it's feasible, might be allot cheaper to buy an old VIP bus and remodel it.

http://chiangmaioffroad.multiply.com/

20039633.jpg

Not sure how successful they were? What about taking a aluminum cargo topper with standing headroom, and converting it's interior to a nice livable space? Refrigeration, airflow, washing faculties, storage plus a comfy bed (forget inside cooking) all well keeping the outside looking like it blends right in. Heck, throw some large health drink decal all over the exterior...

And DB, if you keep looking in the right places, for RV, you'll be surprised just how good/better of deals are out there with the current economy. The California market right now for luxury vehicles blows me away.

- continued hijack of the thread as we havent' seen pictures yet. Or better ideas of the OP's preferences for RVing requirements. Heck, can't think of any back road (Thai back roads which are mostly hardtop) between Samoeng and the Mae Hong Song route where you wouldn't find a nice private pullout along side a river.

I have looked at the 'Carryboy' model that is made here and altho it looks nice and complete......it's quite costly here....forget how much, but lots of THB.

And what I want would be the camper only.....the truck can be driven out from under it and it could be left stored at home or at your favorite camping spot. Some come equiped with hydraulic or screw jacks for that purpose and to level the unit....and if it doesn't have jacks, they are an easy add on. As far as fitting on a Thai truck....there are many creative welders that could easily modify truck or camper to fit.

The cost for shipping from the USA depends on east or west coast. If from Calf for a 20' it would be around $3000 USD.

import costs Don't know, depends how the categorize it. One thing, for the one that goes on the back of a truck, don't think they make them for small trucks like what is sold here in Thailand I think they only make them for full size pickups so that might be a problem. If you get a real RV (motorhome) I think the import tax will be the same as for a car so the tax could be very high as one of the criteria for determining the tax is the engine size and i believe all the RV have at least an 8 cylinder. It would be nice to have one but just not sure it's feasible, might be allot cheaper to buy an old VIP bus and remodel it.

More 'import' sized campers are available all the time from American supplies. First RV for myself was an import truck camper in the late 80's, no bathroom in it like Ian's thou. For less shipping costs, check the Japanese vehicle auctions; there are truck campers and small motorhomes popping up at reasonable market prices, but no RV trailers in Japan.

scan2.jpg

http://chiangmaioffroad.multiply.com/

20039633.jpg

Not sure how successful they were? What about taking a aluminum cargo topper with standing headroom, and converting it's interior to a nice livable space? Refrigeration, airflow, washing faculties, storage plus a comfy bed (forget inside cooking) all well keeping the outside looking like it blends right in. Heck, throw some large health drink decal all over the exterior...

And DB, if you keep looking in the right places, for RV, you'll be surprised just how good/better of deals are out there with the current economy. The California market right now for luxury vehicles blows me away.

- continued hijack of the thread as we havent' seen pictures yet. Or better ideas of the OP's preferences for RVing requirements. Heck, can't think of any back road (Thai back roads which are mostly hardtop) between Samoeng and the Mae Hong Song route where you wouldn't find a nice private pullout along side a river.

Fishenough, it looks as if we both posted at the same time, but here is the link for the carryboy....maybe someone can confirm the price....not cheap

http://www.carryboycaravan.com/motorhome.php

And re: converting an aluminum cargo van, I've thought of going that route, but would need to source out necessary items like camper toilet, LPG fridge, etc. Could even convert an old bus, but where to get the parts??