The Worst Apparently Over: Agriculture Minister

george

FLOODS

The worst apparently over: Agriculture Minister

BANGKOK: -- Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut assured Bangkok residents living along the Chao Phraya River that the worst is over, as water peaked yesterday at 2.29 metres against the 2.5-metre flood barrier height.

At the Flood Relief Operations Centre press conference today, he added that water level in Singburi and Ayutthaya tends to be lower today as massive run-off from Nakhon Sawan has passed Bangkok.

This is an assurance to Bangkok residents, now that all five industrial estates in Ayutthaya are submerged in water, with Factory Land being the latest victim. Full efforts are being mobilised to protect Nava Nakorn Industrial Estate and Bang Kradi Industrial Estate in Pathum Thani.

Royal Irrigation Department Director-General Chalit Damrongsak added that from this day on, the water level in Chao Phraya River will stabilise while water from Ayutthaya will be diverted to East of Bangkok and possibly Chiang Rak Noi in Pathum Thani with consent from villagers.

He also thanked residents along Rangsit Khlong 8-10 for their cooperation. Now, the department is putting as many pumps as possible at Khlong 10 to drain water to the Gulf of Thailand.

He said that as much water as possible would be drained before the sea level would rise during October 28-30.

At the subsequent press conference, FROC also announced that the Royal Thai Army would handle the water management in five provinces - Nakhon Sawan, Ayutthaya, Lop Buri, Pathum Thani and Nonthaburi.

Amid news that foreign travellers are cancelling their trips to Thailand, FROC said that Suvarnabhumi Airport and other transportation modes as well as hotels in Bangkok are safe from floods.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-16

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut assured Bangkok residents

The comedic musical chairs keeps right on going....

In just two weeks, we have seen public communications responsibility shift from Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit to Science Minister Plodprasob, and then to Justice Minister Pracha.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=505595&view=findpost&p=4768140

.... so we can now continue with...

and then to Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut.

What a show these guys and gals put on.

Edited by Buchholz

Would be great news if it is true. That means they can start pumping parts of the country dry

Lets wait until the head of the Flood Relief Operation Command, Justice Minister Police General Pracha Promnok approves the announcement. These other Cabinet Ministers have had a habit of issuing false claims.

Is that REALLY matter now? Guys, it is sometimes really BORING to read all of your bashings, indeed. :angry:

The good news still the good news, and "don't kill the messenger".

PS: greets from flooded Pathumthani.

Is that REALLY matter now? Guys, it is sometimes really BORING to read all of your bashings, indeed. :angry:

The good news still the good news, and "don't kill the messenger".

PS: greets from flooded Pathumthani.

The government said just yesterday that only official announcements by Justice Minister Police General Pracha are to be made.

Do we believe that or do we believe the Agriculture Minister?

If we don't believe the first, why believe the second?

It's only "good news" if it proves to be true... and that's something the administration has been struggling with almost as much as the flood.

So now it's the agriculture minister chiming in? You's think he'd have better things to do seeeing to the needs of those who car for the 10 million rai of farmland destroyed by these floods. I hope he's right but I'm not going to feel better until the culture and sports ministers chime in.

So now it's the agriculture minister chiming in? You's think he'd have better things to do seeeing to the needs of those who car for the 10 million rai of farmland destroyed by these floods. I hope he's right but I'm not going to feel better until the culture and sports ministers chime in.

Destroyed? They haven't been destroyed they've had a hundred year rinsing and fertilizing.. Any future crops growing there will grow like weeds..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Destroyed? They haven't been destroyed they've had a hundred year rinsing and fertilizing.. Any future crops growing there will grow like weeds..

That will make the farmers feel much better warpspeed.

If the worst is past then what am I know seeing on the news right now? It doesn't look over yet, not by a long chalk.

The government said just yesterday that only official announcements by Justice Minister Police General Pracha are to be made.

It's only "good news" if it proves to be true... and that's something the administration has been struggling with almost as much as the flood.

Do you have any extra options? You may take it or leave it, and nothing more than just that.

All these bashings from so-called "keyboard warrors" changed NOTHING in da real life - they may believe or they may not. Someone cares?

Those ppl just need good news now. It is the last reason they still fightting with wild waters and protecting your arse, while you are sitting in your chair and fighting here.

They just need a HOPE that something is going to end. Wanna hear that all your acts will be useless, while wighting hard with something?

Edited by alexakap

You could very well be right and i hope to God you are. I was merely speaking about THIS year's harvest I hope people can pay their bills, find shelter, have food, not despair. Even Thai people, who seem to have a capacity for enduring hardship that could rival anyone's are not impervious to starvation and disease. I hope their neighbors and government are looking out for them.

If the worst is past then what am I know seeing on the news right now? It doesn't look over yet, not by a long chalk.

I'm not being insensitive here just realistic, it's true, once they dry out in short order the crops will grow like never before long term if the same thing can be avoided over the next few years..

I've not made any comments on the report's veracity BTW.

You could very well be right and i hope to God you are. I was merely speaking about THIS year's harvest I hope people can pay their bills, find shelter, have food, not despair. Even Thai people, who seem to have a capacity for enduring hardship that could rival anyone's are not impervious to starvation and disease. I hope their neighbors and government are looking out for them.

Granted.. but I'm trying to look at the up side and to the future..

Just a day after the govt swears up and down that ONLY the head of the FROC will be making future announcements, there they go with yet another player, the Ag minister, jumping in to make flooding pronouncements...

Don't they realize how silly these kind of stunts make them look....as if they needed any more help to. But I guess more importantly, it should tell everyone just how much they value the integrity of what they say....which is not at all...

Said today... forgotten tomorrow... Same with a lot of other stuff coming from this government.

Hmmm if this is true will all those demanding a state of emergency be declared a few days ago be pilloried for scare mongering and panicking ala Plodrasop?

You'll see that part of the reason to call one was to enable the military to guard the embankments and take precautions against saboteurs.

Do you have any extra options? You may take it or leave it, and nothing more than just that.

All these bashings from so-called "keyboard warrors" changed NOTHING in da real life - they may believe or they may not. Someone cares?

Those ppl just need good news now. It is the last reason they still fightting with wild waters and protecting your arse, while you are sitting in your chair and fighting here.

They just need a HOPE that something is going to end. Wanna hear that all your acts will be useless, while wighting hard with something?

Sorry if you perceive wanting to have truthful information as "bashing".

More than hope what people need is the truth. If they are lied to, as has already occurred multiple times throughout this ordeal, nothing is achieved. False hope is not hope.

btw, no one is protecting my arse.

btw II, I'm not "fighting" here.

Hmmm if this is true will all those demanding a state of emergency be declared a few days ago be pilloried for scare mongering and panicking ala Plodrasop?

You'll see that part of the reason to call one was to enable the military to guard the embankments and take precautions against saboteurs.

The reason isn't about what's coming or embankments but what's happened ALREADY! Grannies up to their armpits in filthy water. No place to sleep, no food to eat, no one to watch their house if they evacuate (which they should), no work to go to, no leadership telling them how they cam help themselves and each other. It's a clusterfuc_k and millions of people are left twisting in the wind ( and water).

Anyone see the 'International Spokesman' earlier this evening?

Basically, he said the worst is over. Pathum Thani and Ayyuttaya are ok now. There are many in those areas up to their necks so I'm not sure on that one.

He also said BKK is safe. Maybe only 30cms or so will come into the city.

What annoys me is one minute you get 'everything is ok now, the worst is over' and then (like I had first thing this morning in Pathum Thani) loudspeakers telling you to quickly move things upstairs as **Snip!**

Call me awkward but this causes a little panic and confusion. No water came into the village btw.

Only advice I will now give is I have no idea who to believe so prepare for the worst case scenario.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity edited out of post.

>Sorry if you perceive wanting to have truthful information as "bashing".

No sorries. If you dislike the info from authorities - just go and sue them IRL. Got a balls? :)

>More than hope what people need is the truth.

Where and when in Thailand ever you seen "the truth" from the authorities?

Where in the world have you seen "the truth" from those in charge?

Why are you expecting that your speech will change this here and now?

C'mon, gimme a break...

>False hope is not hope.

Wrong. Go get some education in social psychology. False hope IS the true hope unless false is discovered and understood.

And false would be discovered tomorrow....or never (in case of non-educated Thais. See the last elections).

>btw, no one is protecting my arse.

Those who is arranging sandbags now. Say thanks to them, or at least mind those anonymous farmers. Water is now on TaladThai, FYI....

>btw II, I'm not "fighting" here.

You're not helping the things too. A million of speaches will not shift a single sandbag a meter higher....but a ppl who still have a hope - they will.

FROC also announced that the Royal Thai Army would handle the water management in five provinces

This is what the administration should have done months ago, but they should have extended the mandate to all affected provinces.

Fantastic op/ed piece in the Bangkok Post titled "We do not know what we are doing" that sums up the current administration's gross incompetence in mishandling this year's flood crisis.

Pathum Thani and Ayyuttaya are ok now.

like I had first thing this morning in Pathum Thani) loudspeakers telling you to quickly move things upstairs as **Snip**

The waters @ TaladThai now, and only 2 sections of it stay unaffected.

Next by TaladThai are FuturePark Rangsit, Zeer and then - welcome to DonMueang.

Just a few kilometers to go...

You know with reports of thieves stealing everything under the sun it occurred to me that it's more then possible it's not even saboteurs so much as might even be thieves stealing and reselling the sand bags and more over the market then becomes stronger with more water flooding in..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I would argue that "good news" is useless if it is not ACCURATE and RELIABLE.

A bit hypocritical isn't it- after all, you're just another keyboard warrior bashing the other "keyboard warriors" aren't you? kettlepot.gif

A bit hypocritical isn't it- after all, you're just another keyboard warrior bashing the other "keyboard warriors" aren't you? kettlepot.gif

Sure I am.

But I at least NOT interfere to the ones who are doing their jobs. Those who need support at most - must hear at least something GOOD, here and now. Don't tell those who is dying that there is NO heavens, and dont' tell the child that there is no Santa....they will discover themselves, sooner or later. Perhaps they will cry that time....but THAT time, and not NOW - when we need all of their manpower.

PS: and I am not saying that the govt is always telling the truth....just let's bash it tomorrow, when the things not so critical and manpower is not so important. Call it "propaganda" if you want, but those @the river NEED to hear good news. Let's bash the lies after things ease IMO.

Edited by alexakap

I'm not being insensitive here just realistic, it's true, once they dry out in short order the crops will grow like never before long term if the same thing can be avoided over the next few years..

I've not made any comments on the report's veracity BTW.

re, your last sentence. Sorry, that's why there was a space, I was replying to the thread title.

Re your first comment, I understand what you say and agree, but at this time with people still up to their necks in it and the farmers now facing enormous hardship for the next 12 months, perhaps without intending, your view may be a little insensitive. Its difficult for the poor to look to the future at the moment, they are focused on day to day survival.