Ford Everest

Mobaan

Yes, the Everest is built in Thailand.

It compares to no US model - the Thai market Everest is based on the Ford/Mazda light truck which is not sold in North America.

It compares poorly against the Toyota Fortuner and Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, but OK against the Isuzu MU-7.

The next gen Everest is due next year, and be receiving some hand-me-down tech and styling cues from the US Market Explorer, but will be based on a frame chassis and using the diesel engines from the T6 Ranger.

Is there any news on the new ford escape (being discontinued?) / ford kuga being introduced into the Thai market? I understood something like the European kuga would be introduced here.

No updates from what's been previosuly posted here - the next-gen Escape is still earmarked for Thai release next year but being based on the Focus platform, it'll have to be following the Focus launch, so I'd expect it to be mid-late 2012.

The next gen Escape is also the next gen Kuga (both models are being merged uner the One Ford policy), so yes, that bit is right :) It's sure to be a sharp looker.

:bah: The Ford kicks Toyotas Ass on looks,so does the PJS. imo.

The current model Everest reminds me a bit too much of the Isuzu Trooper and all the other boxy 4x4 wagons that started springing up 30 years ago.. The new T6 version coming next year has been designed by the same project lead that designed the current US-market Explorer, so promises Range Rover Evoque-esque aesthetics at Thai PPV prices, and with the 5-pot 3.2L, a solid whack of grunt with decent fuel efficiency too..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Is there any news on the new ford escape (being discontinued?) / ford kuga being introduced into the Thai market? I understood something like the European kuga would be introduced here.

No updates from what's been previosuly posted here - the next-gen Escape is still earmarked for Thai release next year but being based on the Focus platform, it'll have to be following the Focus launch, so I'd expect it to be mid-late 2012.

The next gen Escape is also the next gen Kuga (both models are being merged uner the One Ford policy), so yes, that bit is right :) It's sure to be a sharp looker.

Thanks mate, need something a little more elevated than my civic:) Not sure about my wife being able to handle the size of a ranger :)

So this escape would have a 2.o petrol engine from a focus or similar? No diesel option? I'd also consider the mazda cx-5, would that be a bit smaller? Basically I want something smaller than a pjs (only 3 in my family) but still quite raised.

Edited by culicine

Thanks mate, need something a little more elevated than my civic:) Not sure about my wife being able to handle the size of a ranger :)

So this escape would have a 2.o petrol engine from a focus or similar? No diesel option? I'd also consider the mazda cx-5, would that be a bit smaller? Basically I want something smaller than a pjs (only 3 in my family) but still quite raised.

The next gen Escape will more than likely share all of the Focus engines, so a 2.0L TDCI with powershift option is expected, but lacking the special PPV excise tax that the next-gen Everest and Trailblazer will qualify for, expect prices to be into Captiva territory..

BTW, the production line for the new Focus at AAT Thailand has now spat out it's first testers, so Job One can't be too far away..

The next gen Escape will more than likely share all of the Focus engines, so a 2.0L TDCI with powershift option is expected, but lacking the special PPV excise tax that the next-gen Everest and Trailblazer will qualify for, expect prices to be into Captiva territory..

BTW, the production line for the new Focus at AAT Thailand has now spat out it's first testers, so Job One can't be too far away..

So MoonRiverOasis , you seem to be the expert here.I am asking for your input , please.

I read some of your comments from late last year when you also bought a Pajero . Looking towards this Winter as a time to buy a new SUV-upper end - what would be your choice ? Still a Pajero?

Or better to wait a few month for the new edition of whatevr comes out next year ?

The next generation Everest is due next year

After a long search and being somewhat bored and disappointed with the ubiquitous Japanese cars, I am also interested in an Everest. Could the poster give any indication of exactly at which point next year the new generation model is to be released, as it would be unfortunate to find that a new model appears only a short time after purchasing.

Also, if anyone has ownership experience of the Everest, is there anything to report with regard to problems? What is the warranty period? What is the fuel economy?

I'm sorry to see that the choice of colours for the Everest is as limited as many Thai-built products, even though Ford's saloons seem to have some bright and happy colours including reds, blues etc., unlike the many that are essentially just plain metallic choices of white, black and two others. Can one order a custom colour before delivery, in Thailand? Thanks

The next generation Everest is due next year

After a long search and being somewhat bored and disappointed with the ubiquitous Japanese cars, I am also interested in an Everest. Could the poster give any indication of exactly at which point next year the new generation model is to be released, as it would be unfortunate to find that a new model appears only a short time after purchasing.

Also, if anyone has ownership experience of the Everest, is there anything to report with regard to problems? What is the warranty period? What is the fuel economy?

I'm sorry to see that the choice of colours for the Everest is as limited as many Thai-built products, even though Ford's saloons seem to have some bright and happy colours including reds, blues etc., unlike the many that are essentially just plain metallic choices of white, black and two others. Can one order a custom colour before delivery, in Thailand? Thanks

I'm assuming the new everest, if it comes with the 3.2 from the ranger, should be a great vehicle and well worth the wait, even if it's 2 years. Not seen any pics of what it might look like though..

I was getting my car serviced at Ford in Loei and met a German guy who was getting his Everest serviced. I never drove an Everest or had any interest in one but after all his praise, I decided they must be OK. He very emphatically claims that the Everest is the best vehicle he has ever owned.

Maybe it's worth mentioning that he is a rabid Toyota hater. :unsure:

ADDED - While I was waiting, I was looking through the dealer's inventory. I remember someone posting that they couldn't find a 2011 4X4 Open Cab Ranger. Loei has a black one.

Edited by Gary A

So MoonRiverOasis , you seem to be the expert here.I am asking for your input , please.

I read some of your comments from late last year when you also bought a Pajero . Looking towards this Winter as a time to buy a new SUV-upper end - what would be your choice ? Still a Pajero?

Or better to wait a few month for the new edition of whatevr comes out next year ?

Right now, the Pajero Sport is dinitely still the pick of the bunch, especially the 2WD GT 2.5L diesel, recently upgraded with 5AT - it's unbeatable value at the moment.

The latest info on the next gen Everest (if indeed it will still be called that) is that design work started on it in August 2010 (Right after the T6 Ranger design work finished), so it's well and truly in the pipleline. It's been unusually quiet since then though.. normally the next bits if info start leaking at tooling stage though (or well before that if Ford adopt the same marketing strategy they used for the Ranger), and you can pretty much guarantee it'll take 6 months from tooling to full production, so my best guess is it'll be an Oct/Nov 2012 launch at the absolute earliest.

As for colors, no - you cannot order custom factory paint in Thailand, unless you're a major fleet buyer. For something like an Everest SUV, you'd be looking at 40-50K Baht for a full color change if you wanted to do it post-purchase though.

I'm assuming the new everest, if it comes with the 3.2 from the ranger, should be a great vehicle and well worth the wait, even if it's 2 years. Not seen any pics of what it might look like though..

Yes, it will definitely be using the Ranger's drivetrain options, but feature a shortened chassis and coil rear end. Also, we do have a fair idea of what it will look like.. The T6 Everest design project is being lead by the same guy that instrumented the 2010 (MY2011) US Market Ford Explorer (Todd Hoevener), and he's been on record stating the the next-gen Everest will be receiving styling cues and hand-me-down tech from the Explorer. If you compare the front end of the Explorer with the new T6 Ranger, it's pretty easy to spot the similarities, so it would appear Mr Hoevener is into re-using design ideas :)

Also, keep in mind that the new Chev Trailblazer (GMI-700 based SUV) is expected to launch in March/April 2012, and will be based on the new GMI-700 Colorado platform. It gets it's official public unveiling at the Dubai motorshow next month..

He very emphatically claims that the Everest is the best vehicle he has ever owned.

No surprise there - if you've only ever owned B/C segment cars in Thailand, any of the more popular PPV's (Pickup based SUV's) will easily be the best owning experience you've ever had, hands-down.

They've got masses of versatility, rival D-class for passenger space, have upper B-Class levels of NVH, C class levels of comfort, the power and economy of commonrail diesels, elevated driving position, are great at highway cruising, have enough ground clearance to handle the worst of the 4-digit roads in TH, and are as easy to drive around town and park as a Civic - all for upper B class prices due to their preferential status in the Thai taxation system.

It's hard to imagine a more suitable family vehicle for Thailand.. Unless your budget can stretch to a Cayenne or Q7 ;)

Once you've owned one for a while, I seriously doubt you could imagine life in Thailand without at least one in the driveway, and unless you're coming from a 3M+ Baht import you will love it in every respect :jap:

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Yes, it will definitely be using the Ranger's drivetrain options, but feature a shortened chassis and coil rear end. Also, we do have a fair idea of what it will look like.. The T6 Everest design project is being lead by the same guy that instrumented the 2010 (MY2011) US Market Ford Explorer (Todd Hoevener), and he's been on record stating the the next-gen Everest will be receiving styling cues and hand-me-down tech from the Explorer.

Thanks. Can you provide any sources for this information as I'd like to make an informed decision about the forthcoming Everest based on verifiable facts. I note that you mention the change to rear coil-springs and I wonder if this will have a taxation implication, given Thailand's categorisation for this type of vehicle.

Yes, it will definitely be using the Ranger's drivetrain options, but feature a shortened chassis and coil rear end. Also, we do have a fair idea of what it will look like.. The T6 Everest design project is being lead by the same guy that instrumented the 2010 (MY2011) US Market Ford Explorer (Todd Hoevener), and he's been on record stating the the next-gen Everest will be receiving styling cues and hand-me-down tech from the Explorer.

Thanks. Can you provide any sources for this information as I'd like to make an informed decision about the forthcoming Everest based on verifiable facts. I note that you mention the change to rear coil-springs and I wonder if this will have a taxation implication, given Thailand's categorisation for this type of vehicle.

It's all pretty old info now, so likely in the public domain already - Google it yourself :)

Coil springs is no problem for the special PPV excise tax of 20% - the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport and Toyota Fortuner have both had them for 3/7 years respectively.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

It's all pretty old info now, so likely in the public domain already - Google it yourself :)

Coil springs is no problem for the special PPV excise tax of 20% - the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport and Toyota Fortuner have both had them for 3/7 years respectively.

mro, would you be able to deduce rough estimates for the new escape/everest prices? Similar to what's already in the market now?

mro, would you be able to deduce rough estimates for the new escape/everest prices? Similar to what's already in the market now?

Yes, there will definitely be models priced similar to existing options, but the top-end could go further than what we've seen so far on features, and that will be reflected in price (e.g. it's somewhat likely the next Everest will get electrically folding 3rd row chairs, which has never been seen in the PPV segment in TH).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

licklips.giflicklips.giflicklips.giflicklips.gif

hope it looks this good, will be a winner especially in nonconformist orange.

Hopefully, it'll look much better - that's just a wildtrak with a shopped-on back.

According to sources, it'll receive unique front styling - which is good, because there's no way I'd pay 1.3M+ for something that didn't have projector headlamps, and looked no different to a pickup in the rearview mirror ;)

I've had a Ford Everest for about 6 months now and no complaints about it, suits what I was looking for. Was looking at a Fortuner to replace the Toyota Hilux Pre-runner we had but had a look around. Wanted something with height for the flooding we get when it rains but not a 4wd, no need for one. Something with more seats, family of 4 plus my sister and her kids visit from Aus or the sister-in-law and her kids visit so want seats for everyone.

I'm no car buff, what did it for me was that the Everest came with rear screen entertainment for the kids, sat-nav, rear camera and sensor where the equivilent Fortuners only had one of these, the rest were extras and the Everest was 300k less before adding on the extras. Not worried about resale value as I intend to keep this one for a few years so that did not worry me.

Only difference is the after sales service is a hell of a lot better at Toyota than Ford, even for just a Pre-runner, Toyota seemed a lot more interested.

Edited by chunktal

• 2 weeks later...