I Phone 4S

techno

For those interested in the i phone 4s it is available in Chiang Mai at the Sure Life Telecom Company on the 4th floor at Airport Plaza. The shop is opposite the Apple Store on the 4th Floor. I am told that they are imported from Australia and are available in 16 and 32 GB. Because it has the 5ios l am not sure if it can be fixed to receive free downloads via imstallous

Just don't ask the price... ;)

I wonder how they got it unlocked as there is no official unlock for the 4S as of yet, and they are not being sold unlocked yet. Maybe a gevey SIM or something like that.

There isn't even a jailbreak for the 4S, so installous... probably not.

Why people need to use installous is beyond me anyway - these apps cost $1 to $5, usually, and there's TONS of great free apps too. So for the price of a latte, you can get anything you want. Then why go through the trouble and pirate it?

On a desktop it kind of makes sense if you write a letter every few months but MS Office costs $300. Or if you edit an image once in a blue moon, but Photoshop costs $500. But on the iPhone? Don't think so.

There's also the Thai style app sharing - you sign up with the shop, and I guess you share an iTunes account with everyone. It's not that cheap - 1000 - 2000 Baht. But you get access to 10s of thousands of apps, and you can get any app you want. Still, you have to go to the shop to install software; and I am pretty sure it's only a matter of time until Apple cracks down on it. Should be easy to single out users who buy thousands of apps...

Just don't ask the price... ;)

I wonder how they got it unlocked as there is no official unlock for the 4S as of yet, and they are not being sold unlocked yet. Maybe a gevey SIM or something like that.

There isn't even a jailbreak for the 4S, so installous... probably not.

Why people need to use installous is beyond me anyway - these apps cost $1 to $5, usually, and there's TONS of great free apps too. So for the price of a latte, you can get anything you want. Then why go through the trouble and pirate it?

On a desktop it kind of makes sense if you write a letter every few months but MS Office costs $300. Or if you edit an image once in a blue moon, but Photoshop costs $500. But on the iPhone? Don't think so.

There's also the Thai style app sharing - you sign up with the shop, and I guess you share an iTunes account with everyone. It's not that cheap - 1000 - 2000 Baht. But you get access to 10s of thousands of apps, and you can get any app you want. Still, you have to go to the shop to install software; and I am pretty sure it's only a matter of time until Apple cracks down on it. Should be easy to single out users who buy thousands of apps...

I may be mistaken but according to the Australian Online Apple Store, all three versions (16, 32, & 64GB) are available unlocked for A$ 799, 899 & 999. But shipping times are 1-2 weeks. It could be same same as USA, i.e. it was available in the shops until they ran out of stock, now in USA the shops require a "reservation".

Edited by rogerdee123

Haven't followed it that closely but at the US launch the US phones were all locked, with the unlocked variety coming in November.

That said, they were sold in the UK or Germany unlocked. They also have 1-2 weeks shipping, just like Australia. So I think you're right rogerdee, they're probably unlocked UK or DE or AU phones.

In any case, if you buy a grey market iPhone, make absolutely sure it's factory unlocked. Given the 4S cannot be jailbroken at the moment I'd assume all of them are - but you never know.

Edited by nikster

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah they can theres a new jailbreak out for them last week so you can get cydia and installous n stuff P.S i have the iphone 3gs but im looking where to buy a 4 or a 4s im from the UK o the prices are stupid how much are they there to buy please? and is the bad weather effecting the post because im waiting on a package from T-Land to UK n its a couple days late.

Yeah they can theres a new jailbreak out for them last week so you can get cydia and installous n stuff P.S i have the iphone 3gs but im looking where to buy a 4 or a 4s im from the UK o the prices are stupid how much are they there to buy please? and is the bad weather effecting the post because im waiting on a package from T-Land to UK n its a couple days late.

The 4 / 8GB is 17,900, the 4S is probably going to come in December. Take the US price +10% for a guide as to how much the 4S will be in Thailand.

http://store.apple.com/th/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

I don't think there is an untethered jailbreak yet, if you know of one please post a link. The tethered JB means you can't restart the phone unless you're near your computer so it's rather inconvenient.

Edited by nikster

US iPhone 4S were available without contract in us apple stores at launch - unlocked. Not sure if they were supposed to be or not.

MBK is full of them and also UK variants.

Siri works apart from obviously the Map and business related stuff yet but is coming.

4S 16GB can be had for 28000THB after a bit of bargaining.

Actually the best feature is the speed really enjoying the extra speed very noticeable in web page rendering.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to buy one in Chiang Mai asap. Does anyone know more info on the ones from this store? Are they fully unlocked, how much are they?

Also, has anyone seen the 4S available anywhere else in CM, and what sort of price should I be looking to pay?

Thanks!

Edited by ha55ha

• 1 month later...