Another Military Question

O.K so my girlfriend has two sons and the eldest is coming up 21 next year so is eligible for military service. Now he has been living in New Zealand for the last eleven years but is not a citizen.

He has pretty much lost most of his thai speaking ability, he can understand but doesn't speak well and can't read or write thai. He is on the tabien baan and his mother is planning on taking him back for the lottery.

I am concerned though, he has a new baby and I just don't know whether he will go back when the time comes. I just wondered would they even take him if he was chosen for the army?

Also what are the potential consequences for his mother if he doesn't go back, I could see him not going back to live in Thailand ever so no real problem for him but apparently someone over there has told his mother if he doesn't go back she will be held responsible and could face 2 years in jail. And as she does want to return to live there at some stage she is quite worried.

Does anyone know the right answer so I can either set her mind at ease or make sure he goes over when the time comes. Cheers.

Edited by cracktheskye

Asked a Thai about this a few years ago. What happens if he doesn't report for the draw after receiving his papers?

He said that the parents (mainly the father) are held responsible. They face a fine and/or imprisonment.

Perhaps the law has changed since then. The mother should check with the 'appropriate' authorities.

Maybe the embassy knows as they deal with Thais studying at university abroad when the call up comes, so they may know about this.

I have Thai friends in UK (mostly hi-so). They have told me previously that they are exempt as they live/study abroad. I don't know how they get round it until they are 30; I'm sure there are plenty of ways for the richer Thai folk to get round this.

I have Thai friends in UK (mostly hi-so). They have told me previously that they are exempt as they live/study abroad. I don't know how they get round it until they are 30; I'm sure there are plenty of ways for the richer Thai folk to get round this.

cause it is in the rules...

I used to have a copy of them (as I was in the same position) and they say:

before turning 30 you can nominate someone to attend conscription day for you if you are unable to attend for yourself. However there is no one who can attend, then there isn't any mention of penalty.

After turning 30 you must attend yourself, at which point you will automatically be rejected.

Max fine for reporting late was 400 baht. I paid 200 for volunteering to turn up.