How To Speed Up Recovery Flue/ Cold?

Femme

Sorry,

Maybe a bit late - but as a preventative cure my sister-in-law, ex nurse at Suandork, says that all of the nurses take MAX VIT C tablets 1000mg every day (maximum 2 tablets each day) to ward off colds and flu.

Not sure how much use, if any, antibiotics are against the flu. But plenty of hot drinks including Hot Toddys before bedtime, staying warm and sleep can be very theraputic. Oval is a good sleep inducive.

Good luck.

Not enough vit. c daily dose for prevention should be 4,000 to 8,000mg if you become sick take 2,000mg every 2 hours and big dose of vit.d3 as most people are low on vit.d. Most people donot get enough sunshine the skin cancer fear has put a stop to that. Also with thais the white skin freakout is a problem not enough sunshine we need it folks for good health.

To stop the thats too much vitc group, your body will absorb the vit.c that it needs when you are sick you need more. There have been studies that measured all the body intake and excretution to measure how much vit.c was taken up by the body the amout you excrete is very low.

your body will absorb the vit.c that it needs

Quite right, and that should be about 60-90 mg/day. Anything above that is just rejected from the body.

Sorry to say this but 60 to 80 mg is the min. amt one could use to prevent sever health issues. The daily allowance was determined around the 1940s and these amounts where determined what a body needs to maintain life at a very low level.

Sorry to say this but 60 to 80 mg is the min. amt one could use to prevent sever health issues. The daily allowance was determined around the 1940s and these amounts where determined what a body needs to maintain life at a very low level.

BS. I have never had any flu in my whole life and have never taken the dosage you recommend. Must be a miracle. :rolleyes:

I'd rather vote for WTK's alcohol recommendation. :D

Edited by Semper

I'd forgotten about the zinc tablets. I used zinc nasal gel in the U.S. to shorten a cold
Sawasdee Khrup, Khun NancyL,

Your regimen sounds good to me ! I like ginger tea with honey when the demons possess me.

I've never tried 'Tiffy' which is "Paracetamol 500 mg, chlorpheniramine maleate 2 mg." Chlorpheniramine being an interesting anti-histamine that has less sedative effects than other AH's, but also, interestingly has some anti-depressant, and anxiolytic effects.

But, I'd bet that the low level of chlorpheniramine in Tiffy is way below the level required to produce said psychoactive effects.

The "two sisters" pharmacy you mention (they are not actually sisters, by the way), and many other pharmas here, stock Bayer effervescent tablets under the name "Redoxon Zinc," each of which contains 1 gram of vitamin C, and 10mg. of Zinc.

Whether that's as effective as snorting Zinc, I have no idea.

to your health, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Where have people found Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C) supplements for a good price.

I pick up 500 grams of L-Ascorbic Acid powder at a small chemical/pharmacy place on Suthep. The price I pay is 480 baht. It's not buffered so best to balance the PH with baking soda or something to reduce stomach irritation.

Anyone have good sources in CM?

Definitely a good idea to get a lot from fruits and vegetables but supplementing in times of stress or illness does really work well.

The "two sisters" pharmacy you mention (they are not actually sisters, by the way), and many other pharmas here, stock Bayer effervescent tablets under the name "Redoxon Zinc," each of which contains 1 gram of vitamin C, and 10mg. of Zinc.

Are these like the "fizzies" tablets of our youth? From what I have read, the oral zinc tabs only seems to work well when placed under the tongue, so I do not think that drinking it would work very well.

When you get a cold, everyone you meet is a doctor specializing in cold relief.

The thing is, all their remedies work! You take the vitamin C, ginger, lemon and whiskey, hot baths, cold plunges,

or whatever for a few days and you get better!

Sometime it takes a week for the miracle remedy to kick in, but be patient - it will cure your cold.

I think these things just have to be sweated out Femme, but if you can muster the energy why not go for short walks and see if that helps speed up the recovery process? I'm pretty sure that staying in and waiting for nature to take its course is the longest way to recover. A wise old man once said to me, and I quote;

'The slower we move, the faster we die!'

PREVENTING, OR REDUCING THE SEVERITY OF FUTURE COUGHS AND COLDS

If I make it to the end of the first week in November, I'll be celebrating 2 whole years without as much as a minor sniffle. Not a single illness, soar throat, or fungicidal rash ;)

Up until, these past 2 years, I, like most people, have got at least one cold, sore throat, slight fever etc, every single year for as far back as I can remember. I just assumed it was part of being human and something everyone had to go through when these things came around.

SO WHAT DID I DO?

The only changes I made in my life these past 2 years is to exercise regularly NO MATTER WHAT, cut down a bit on the amount of acid forming foods I consume, and finally, insist on being happy, or at least content, because I'm convinced that mood has a lot to do with the health of the immune system.

* Pissed off and miserable = a weak immune system,

* Happy and content = a stronger immune system.

You watch, I'll wake up in the morning feeling like hot shit now :whistling:

Anyway, get well soon, i know how debilitating these things can be.

Aitch

exercise good for you for prevention no doubt, but i question whether exercising in a sick weakened state will help you recover faster.

drink lots and lots of water is my advice.

Are these like the "fizzies" tablets of our youth? From what I have read, the oral zinc tabs only seems to work well when placed under the tongue, so I do not think that drinking it would work very well.

Sawasdee Khrup Khun Ulysses, Well, I had no fizzies in my youth, but yes these are effervescent tablets that fizz mightily, and I can't imagine placing one under my tongue :)

The form of zinc in these Redoxon tablets is zinc citrate trihydrate All about Zinc ?, but whether you'd get just as much benefit by licking zinc oxide off galvanized drain pipes is unknown to me.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

So far I had: Tom Yum, ginger, tons of fluids, veggies n fruits, sleep, raw onion.

Redoxon with Zinc was not available at the pharms at and across TOPS (Central).

Both offered me imported Zinc, 400-500 baht. I bought Zinc Thai brand for 150 baht (http://www.healthshop.in.th/product.detail_596602_th_3490570)

Not sure if it is the right Zinc, but I guess Zinc=Zinc (I hope).

I had some disgusting Coca Cola Zero to flush it away ('the bubbles', see one of the first posts) My wishful thinking is: Coke is very good to clean toilets and rust, it might kill bacteria in my body as well....? smile.gif

This particular flu seems to start with a sore throat and then the flu symptoms and then it zaps you with inflammation of the upper respiratory area. Actually lungs a bit gunky too.

Hasn't been enough to put me out of action but the cough from the respiratory inflammation only seems to appear at night and I am probably keeping the whole neighbourhood awake.

The best thing for this is fresh ginger, its one of the best anti inflammatories out there.

Ginger Anti Inflammatory

Ginger for respiratory health

Thanks for this information.

We have our Ginger tea regularly.

Anyone have a cure for Sinus Problems.

Wife is always getting them. :)

Redoxon with Zinc was not available at the pharms at and across TOPS (Central).

Both offered me imported Zinc, 400-500 baht. I bought Zinc Thai brand for 150 baht (http://www.healthshop.in.th/product.detail_596602_th_3490570)

Not sure if it is the right Zinc, but I guess Zinc=Zinc (I hope).

According to the studies, it has to be zinc lozenges that melt slowly in the mouth to work.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=917