• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is there a flood map on the net?

Go to

http://flood.firetree.net/

Zoom out to see world map then select and zoom into Bangkok area. Standard setting is 7m for flood situation. But set to 0m so you can see the map better. After you zoom into your area, set the level back to 7m to see if you area is in the flood zone. If you want to protect your assets, set your sand bags barrier to cater for more than 7m above sea level. e.g. if the map show that your area is safe at 6m but flooded at 7m, then you need to add more than 1m of sand bags barrier to protect your place.

But for this situation you may want to increase the height of your sand bags barrier, as some areas in Ayutthaya which are over 7m above sea level are flooded with over 1m of water. Remember to block the water drainage and toilet bowl as well, you don't want the shit to flow back into your house.

HardenedSoul,

I do in fact have a rather large safety deposit box full of gold and silver coins, some slabbed and rare, in the US. Thanks for reminding others of the value in precious metals as opposed to paper. As for the rest of your message, what do you suppose a couple of million people do after a few days with no drinking water and no sign of anything to eat? I can't imagine it will actually get that bad, especially if authorities go ahead and push the water through now, but if it did, how do you expect people to respond? Fortunately,Thai people have more cohesiveness and moralilty than the Katrina mob--yes, I know that's a pretty low bar to hurdle--but Katrina did show you just how vicious a desperate the masses can be.

Katrina mob? Ha ha ha. Total, unadulterated BS. You should do some more research before you condemn the poor victims of Katrina. Here is an article debunking the BS from that left-wing rag Popular Mechanics:

Source: http://www.popularme...sasters/2315076

ANARCHY DIDN'T TAKE OVER

MYTH: "They have people ... been in that frickin' Superdome for five days watching dead bodies, watching hooligans killing people, raping people."--New Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Sept. 6, 2005

REALITY: Both public officials and the press passed along lurid tales of post-Katrina mayhem: shootouts in the Superdome, bodies stacked in a convention center freezer, snipers firing on rescue helicopters. And those accounts appear to have affected rescue efforts as first responders shifted resources from saving lives to protecting rescuers. In reality, although looting and other property crimes were widespread after the flooding on Monday, Aug. 29, almost none of the stories about violent crime turned out to be true. Col. Thomas Beron, the National Guard commander of Task Force Orleans, arrived at the Superdome on Aug. 29 and took command of 400 soldiers. He told PM that when the Dome's main power failed around 5 am, "it became a hot, humid, miserable place. There was some pushing, people were irritable. There was one attempted rape that the New Orleans police stopped."

The only confirmed account of a weapon discharge occurred when Louisiana Guardsman Chris Watt was jumped by an assailant and, during the chaotic arrest, accidently shot himself in the leg with his own M-16.

When the Superdome was finally cleared, six bodies were found--not the 200 speculated. Four people had died of natural causes; one was ruled a suicide, and another a drug overdose. Of the four bodies recovered at the convention center, three had died of natural causes; the fourth had sustained stab wounds.

Anarchy in the streets? "The vast majority of people [looting] were taking food and water to live," says Capt. Marlon Defillo, the New Orleans Police Department's commander of public affairs. "There were no killings, not one murder." As for sniper fire: No bullet holes were found in the fuselage of any rescue helicopter.

NEXT TIME: "Rumors are fueled by a shortage of truth," says Ted Steinberg, author of Acts of God: The Unnatural History of Natural Disasters in America. And truth was the first casualty of the information breakdown that followed the storm. Hardening communications lines (see page 3) will benefit not just first responders, but also the media. Government officials have a vital role in informing the public. Ensuring the flow of accurate information should be part of disaster planning at local, state and federal levels.

New Orleans was the most violent city in America. I haven't seen this year's stats, but last year it was still the murder capital of the USA: http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/05/new_orleans_murder_rate_remain.html . As for the "poor victims", so many relocated to section 8 housing in my town that they caused a major uptick in burglaries, rapes, and murders. Another good reason to be in Thailand: people maybe poor, they maybe money hungry, and they may con a baht out of you at the drop of a hat. But I have never been in any part of Thailand where I feared being shot and killed on the spot, as I did when in NO. Bangkok people will never stoop to the level of Nola, of that I'm sure.

When I was building houses in Oz there were maps that showed exactly - to the nearest few centimetres which areas would be submerged according to the rise in water level. I presume that Bkk has similar information - so why is there no such map available on the net?

Cowslip,

I've looked (tho' not extensively) for an altitude map or a (good) topo map but not found one. In the land depts offices throughout the country you'll see some basic topo maps hanging up somewhere but I personally don't know how accurate they are,

Go to

Zoom out to see world map then select and zoom into Bangkok area. Standard setting is 7m for flood situation. But set to 0m so you can see the map better. After you zoom into your area, set the level back to 7m to see if you area is in the flood zone. If you want to protect your assets, set your sand bags barrier to cater for more than 7m above sea level. e.g. if the map show that your area is safe at 6m but flooded at 7m, then you need to add more than 1m of sand bags barrier to protect your place.

But for this situation you may want to increase the height of your sand bags barrier, as some areas in Ayutthaya which are over 7m above sea level are flooded with over 1m of water. Remember to block the water drainage and toilet bowl as well, you don't want the shit to flow back into your house.

Thanks for the link. This is very useful and definitely helps with relative elevation levels.

When I was building houses in Oz there were maps that showed exactly - to the nearest few centimetres which areas would be submerged according to the rise in water level. I presume that Bkk has similar information - so why is there no such map available on the net?

Right. This is nothing new and Thais are very experienced with flood management and national weather patterns.

That is why it is unforgivable for mismanagement of the situation to this degree.

Of course, officials know the exact elevation of all parts of Bangkok as well as all other parts of the country.

I've seen the maps and models. They know underground water levels. They know where and how water flows all over the country.

Their computer models (which are internationally used application programs) are amazingly accurate and detailed down to how much water can be absorbed by an aquifer (or not).

The physics and mechanics of water are known and the quantities are known.

Water management is an old and well developed discipline that has been evolving since the Garden of Eden.

Management can be a challenge. But monitoring and predicting what has happened and will happen does not require a crystal ball.

Accuracy is a matter of a plus or minus percentage.

That is why the lack of details from the PM can only be intentional.

No way she cannot know, with precision, exactly what is going to happen, to whom, when, how long, how much.

dont underestimate the ability of some to have all facts but know nothing and cant understand simple facts so please excuse the poor dear after all shes had to do nothing more all her life buy choose handbags shoes and go shopping and of course know about makeup and being a Shinawati khow to fool most of the people most of the time and of course ability to cry and be pitied while being blissfully unaware that she's a total laughing stock now go and pick on someone really evil like last PM

Right. This is nothing new and Thais are very experienced with flood management and national weather patterns.

That is why it is unforgivable for mismanagement of the situation to this degree.

Of course, officials know the exact elevation of all parts of Bangkok as well as all other parts of the country.

I've seen the maps and models. They know underground water levels. They know where and how water flows all over the country.

Their computer models (which are internationally used application programs) are amazingly accurate and detailed down to how much water can be absorbed by an aquifer (or not).

The physics and mechanics of water are known and the quantities are known.

Water management is an old and well developed discipline that has been evolving since the Garden of Eden.

Management can be a challenge. But monitoring and predicting what has happened and will happen does not require a crystal ball.

Accuracy is a matter of a plus or minus percentage.

That is why the lack of details from the PM can only be intentional.

No way she cannot know, with precision, exactly what is going to happen, to whom, when, how long, how much.

dont underestimate the ability of some to have all facts but know nothing and cant understand simple facts so please excuse the poor dear after all shes had to do nothing more all her life buy choose handbags shoes and go shopping and of course know about makeup and being a Shinawati khow to fool most of the people most of the time and of course ability to cry and be pitied while being blissfully unaware that she's a total laughing stock now go and pick on someone really evil like last PM

The last PM was k. Abhisit (assuming you mean the previous one). Although there's a group of posters who accuse him of bloodbaths and massacres, I didn't think you to be in that group. A typo perhaps ?

Oz is more advanced than Thailand and has more money, so you can't expect similar standards. Did Oz have those maps in the old days when it was still a developing country?

HardenedSoul,

I do in fact have a rather large safety deposit box full of gold and silver coins, some slabbed and rare, in the US. Thanks for reminding others of the value in precious metals as opposed to paper.

I'm a confirmed gold/silver bull too but what medium of exchange would you accept for, say, a Krugerrand upon purchasing a 5 litre bottle of water that's, apparently, about to become equally rare if the board gimps are to be believed?

One will have to purchase exact bulk quantities in lieu of receiving "change" (??? why not ???).

Go to

Thanks for the link. This is very useful and definitely helps with relative elevation levels.

Yes asiavox, good link gives one a good perspective !!!

Cowslip,

I've looked (tho' not extensively) for an altitude map or a (good) topo map but not found one. In the land depts offices throughout the country you'll see some basic topo maps hanging up somewhere but I personally don't know how accurate they are,

1 building block is 4 bht, I bag of cement is 110 bht one cube of sand is 350 bht.

If you do not have (upstairs) and you cannot raise your house............Then why not build a wall around your house and have steps to get over the wall ??????????????????? near all persons homes and gardens in Thailand are walkways....walls protect and keep animals in and more secure. sorry if you have a m/cycle. If you have a gate it's easier to block quickly that open land.

Cowslip,

1 building block is 4 bht, I bag of cement is 110 bht one cube of sand is 350 bht.

If you do not have (upstairs) and you cannot raise your house............Then why not build a wall around your house and have steps to get over the wall ??????????????????? near all persons homes and gardens in Thailand are walkways....walls protect and keep animals in and more secure. sorry if you have a m/cycle. If you have a gate it's easier to block quickly that open land.

I'll repost this map (based on topography of BKK) >>> http://flood.firetree.net/ once again, thanks to the asiavox for this map.

Ginjag,

Riding around in taxis the other day in the mid to upper Sukhumvit soi numbers areas, I didn't see a great deal of water walls being built for shops, etc. For that matter sandbags as well..... looking at the map and increasing the sea level incrementally the area(s) in question, are not badly affected... maybe the locals know something that us dumb "farang" don't(?). Oh, for "motocise" why not make an elevated ramp?

Edited by scotbeve

Regarding flood maps, last night on CNN (10:30PM?) the weather girl, Maria Ramos, showed an "up to the minute" sat image of the floods and they were comparing it with a similar image from Nov 2008, illustrating the size and amount of water just north of Bangkok. It was quite informative. I don't know, maybe the Govt here has shown that same map? Or maybe they have their own?

is there a flood map on the net?

http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2011/10/map-of-flood-risk-areas-in-bangkok/

Have a look at the above site. Also pasted some information from the site.

'22 October: Nine districts of Bangkok are at risk of flooding and people in the areas should move their belongings to higher places, according to Bangkok Governor Sukhmbhand Paribatra. Seven main districts are Lat Krabang, Nong Chok, Minburi, Khlong Samwa, Kannayao, Saimai, and Bangkhen. In addition Thung Si Kan and Don Muang subdistricts in Don Muang district and Thung Song Hong subdistrict in Laksi district [MORE]

Despite flooding in about 27 provinces in Thailand (see map) the Bangkok Governor is confident that the city itself is well prepared and can face any floods.

Useful map showing where it is raining in Bangkok at this moment: thairainmap.com

Is it raining in Bangkok? Watch live street cams on this map: traffy.in.th/traffy/

Website monitoring water levels in Bangkok: dds.bangkok.go.th/Floodmon

Flood map and flood resources in English by Google Crisis Response

For some live pictures of Bangkok, try the Traffic Cams (please note, not all cameras are online)

Situation reports in English from the Emergency Operation Center for Floods

Weather updates from Thai Meteorological Department

Useful tips on how to protect yourself from the floods'

Best of luck to all that are affected by the floods.

You can also see that it's an almost smooth downwards slope from Sukhothai, through Bangkok, to the sea. :unsure:

I do not believe that Sukhumvit – Lumpini – Silom are the highest points in Bangkok. The map suggests that there is about 12m rise between Queen Sirikit Centre and Sukhumvit Rd – I don’t remember any noticeable rise. The airports and parks are shown much lower than built up areas. Sukhumvit – Lumpini – Silom is the area with the most high rise buildings. Look at the difference between the left and right banks of the river – again the buildings are shown as higher ground. Satellite imagery interpreted by computer would have difficulty discerning the ground wouldn’t it?

Edited by metisdead
Use default forum font when posting, font reset.

I do not believe that Sukhumvit – Lumpini – Silom are the highest points in Bangkok. The map suggests that there is about 12m rise between Queen Sirikit Centre and Sukhumvit Rd – I don't remember any noticeable rise. The airports and parks are shown much lower than built up areas. Sukhumvit – Lumpini – Silom is the area with the most high rise buildings. Look at the difference between the left and right banks of the river – again the buildings are shown as higher ground. Satellite imagery interpreted by computer would have difficulty discerning the ground wouldn't it?

You may be right. The map states "Elevation data produced by CGIAR, NASA, and NOAA". The data from CGIAR and NASA were from a space shuttle, and NOAA from a satellite.

So we would instead need a map that uses land survey elevation data. Would you or anyone else know where we can see such a map of Bangkok?