Thai Bank Account

It is possible to open a bank account even on a 30 day entry as I did.

I would suggest it would be easier in the areas used to dealing with foreigners.

Take along your passport and girlfriends house registration if possible for address confirmation.

This method certainly works at Kasikorn bank. If your GF is lacking some PPW because she is in UK any friend of hers will work.

what part of NO address confirmation required (neither Kasikorn nor Siam Commercial) is it that you people don't understand??? :huh:

p.s. now waiting patiently for a suggestion such as "yada yada recommendation letter from Khun Thaksin, countersigned yakety-yak by PM Yingluck, will bla-bla-bla facilitate establishing a bank account".

Yes no address confirmation required as Naam pointed out.

Which is a good thing as I would not want correspondence sent to my Thai address as it is vacant 9 months a year :)

Ditto (except my reason is that I'm more worried about certain members of my TGF's Mafia family).

Have gotten some really useful info from this thread, so thanks to everyone, but one thing I'm a little confused about....do I or don't I need confirmation of a Thai address (as it happens, my lass does own her home but I don't reside there apart from for holidays).

Whatever is the reply, does that apply to all banks or does is it dependant upon the bank/branch/staff-member ?

Many thanks.

Which is a good thing as I would not want correspondence sent to my Thai address as it is vacant 9 months a year :)

Ditto (except my reason is that I'm more worried about certain members of my TGF's Mafia family).

Have gotten some really useful info from this thread, so thanks to everyone, but one thing I'm a little confused about....do I or don't I need confirmation of a Thai address (as it happens, my lass does own her home but I don't reside there apart from for holidays).

Whatever is the reply, does that apply to all banks or does is it dependant upon the bank/branch/staff-member ?

Many thanks.

"thai address... my lass owns a home..." = it is obviously useless to render written advice to people who can't read <_<

Many thanks.

"thai address... my lass owns a home..." = it is obviously useless to render written advice to people who can't read

If YOU re-read my post (properly) you will note that I am simply and reasonably seeking clarification to the conflicting advice offered (oops, I forgot...you're a Klingon. "Reasonable" isn't a word in your dictionary).

If you don't want to help, then don't.

If you just want to vent your spleen, go do it elsewhere (I'd guess there are more "Trekkies" amongst the board-members for you to wage war on, from the comfort of your keyboard).

Thanks to those board-members who do offer advice.

Shame on these sad little men who don't and who further selfishly bring the Thai Visa site into disrepute whilst they are at it.:huh:

Shame on these sad little men who don't and who further selfishly bring the Thai Visa site into disrepute whilst they are at it.

some sad little men are 1.92 (6'3½") and don't ask repeatedly not only irrelevant but utmost silly questions :whistling:

Shame on these sad little men who don't and who further selfishly bring the Thai Visa site into disrepute whilst they are at it.

some sad little men are 1.92 (6'3½") and don't ask repeatedly not only irrelevant but utmost silly questions :whistling:

Apology accepted.

I wasn't referring to your physical stature, neither did I come here for an argument - just some advice which I am grateful to aknowledge of those who provided such.

I'll not debate, further, any off-topic matter as I'm convinced you will insist upon having the "last-word", anyway (it's in your nature, isn't it?).

So make your next post a good'un is MY advice to YOU (and there's that, for free).;)

To clarify the Bangkok Bank thing about how to apply for internet banking ... expats (workers, retirees etc) and foreign residents can activate their internet banking via ATM; however people whose account records reflect a tourist visa (or the bank still has them recorded as a tourist from the early days when they opened their first a/c) need to apply via the branch.

Activating internet banking via ATM only gives you access to those accounts which are linked to your ATM card. if you have other accounts - mutual funds, home loan etc - these can be added to ibanking by advising the branch (iBanking Amendment)

Many thanks.

Yes, you should have realized that by now, it depends on each bank and within the bank upon the staff you meet... as I said, in SCB I opened my account with the address of my usual hotel... and I have Internet banking with it... no questions asked... so you will NEVER get a "yes" or "no" to your answer...

Edited by Swiss1960

Many thanks.

Yes, you should have realized that by now, it depends on each bank and within the bank upon the staff you meet... as I said, in SCB I opened my account with the address of my usual hotel... and I have Internet banking with it... no questions asked... so you will NEVER get a "yes" or "no" to your answer...

Thanks for confirming what I suspected (as evidenced in my question, above) for which I received short-shrift because it was, apparently, both "irrelevant" and "silly".

Appreciated.:thumbsup:

The reason I asked, though, was that there were two deffinite schools of thought in operation and replies that were diametrically opposed:

Daveroc: "The aspect of an address can be challenge at times. If you have family members or friends who are prepared to receive mail then use this. Realistically you will receive little to no mail from the Bank. The main record is the Savings passbook so statements are issued.

The Bank is obliged to have some address that they can endeavor to contact you should some incident arise. It does not do any harm to have a document showing your home address that can be recorded".

Naam: "there is no such thing like correspondence between a Thai bank and you. 14 years of banking in Thailand, never any correspondence. but they normally ask for your mobile phone number because when you make substantial transfers in foreign currency they call you and ask whether you accept exchange rate xyz".

Jingthing: "To set up Bangkok Bank online they first send your user ID by email (within a week) and then send your password by mail (no other choice) to your address in Thailand within four to six weeks. Yes, SLOW!"

Naam: "what part of NO address confirmation required (neither Kasikorn nor Siam Commercial) is it that you people don't understand???"

Naam: ""thai address... my lass owns a home..." = it is obviously useless to render written advice to people who can't read"

Naam: "some sad little men are 1.92 (6'3½") and don't ask repeatedly not only irrelevant but utmost silly questions"

Seems like Naam comes from a planet where the only experience is his own experience and the only valid opinion is his opinion. Everyone else's must, ergo, be invented, erroneous or delusional.

In answer to my own question with which you seem to agree (for the benefit of others who may wish to know) it appears that with regard to requiring a Thai address in order to open an account, "sometimes you do and sometimes you don't".

Thanks for replying in a measured way unlike Naam who insisted on throwing his :passifier: out of the cot because everyone didn't agree with him.

OP now answered, thread now defunct, methinks.:wai:

to satisfy the bank's requirement spend 2 Pounds and get a SIM in the next 7/11. if you can't be reached because you are out of Thailand so be it. anyway, the bank will only call you if you make single transfers valued US-Dollar 20,000 or more.

Keep this sim card just in case you may need to use one-time password OTP. Set this up BEFORE you leave thailand. Takes about 5-10 minutes via phone automated prompts.

Some comments about Bangkok Bankok ACH transfer service from the US or UK (the only Thai bank that offers this).

To set up Bangkok Bank online they first send your user ID by email (within a week) and then send your password by mail (no other choice) to your address in Thailand within four to six weeks. Yes, SLOW!

For the US or UK setup to Bangkok Bank New York or London, you will likely have to go through the TEST DEPOSIT system. Your US/UK bank will do two small test deposits to BB which you will see in baht but you will have to CALL Bangkok Bank and find out how exactly much that is in US or UK currency and enter those amounts into your US or UK bank online to initially set up the link to BB.

That's quite enlightening and effectively rules Bangkok Bank out (despite the London link) as I won't be in LOS long enough to collect my password. I also don't care to have my Thai bank account linked to my UK accounts in anyway, so that advantage would not actually be a benefit (quite the opposite).

Thanks for helping me, in that.

Actually I would double check that info.

When I opened my BKB account & I wanted internet access I got the password instantly by going to the nearest ( in the bank ) ATM

I forget the exact procedure but you can set up your online account the same day you open it.

The ATM gives you the temp password.

You use it & then the bank system sends you a OTP ( one time password ) to verify via SMS

If you want the actual procedure just as Ian Guygil or Daveroc they both work for BKB & post here

Just PM Dave he is doing expat relations for BKB via the link I set above.

I know you can set it up in one day as I did for both mine & my wife's accounts.

One other thing is if your leaving Thailand be sure & set up which ever transfer links online in your BKB account to other banks before you go.

This procedure also requires they send you a OTP via SMS

Setup internet banking before you leave. In fact, if you take your laptop with you, you can sign up for internet banking at the branch simultaneously. Then go to the ATM and apply for internet banking (you'll need your thai mobile phone #). One Time Password setup will also be useful to maximize usage of internet banking features. A thai bank account without internet banking is pretty worthless, especially if you are overseas most of the time. I suppose you can use phone banking for many things also, but I prefer written communications.

The reason why I recommend bringing laptop, is so that if you have problems logging in, you can ask representative to call bangkok bank tech support and ask what's wrong. This happened when I opened TMB account. All details I entered were correct. They did not believe me and I walked them through it on their computer and when they saw it for them self, they they called tech support and resolved it. But before that they did not believe me or understand fully what the problem was. An alternative would be to head to internet shop afterwards....but nothing beats showing them.

Do your best to get bangkok bank account and I guess also SCB or desired bank. BKB will give you added flexibility of cheap ACH transfers. Surprised your GF does not use the ACH feature to send money back home. Doesn't she have to use SWIFT to send money to SCB?

Edited by 4evermaat

Setup internet banking before you leave. In fact, if you take your laptop with you, you can sign up for internet banking at the branch simultaneously. Then go to the ATM and apply for internet banking (you'll need your thai mobile phone #). One Time Password setup will also be useful to maximize usage of internet banking features. A thai bank account without internet banking is pretty worthless, especially if you are overseas most of the time. I suppose you can use phone banking for many things also, but I prefer written communications.

The reason why I recommend bringing laptop, is so that if you have problems logging in, you can ask representative to call bangkok bank tech support and ask what's wrong. This happened when I opened TMB account. All details I entered were correct. They did not believe me and I walked them through it on their computer and when they saw it for them self, they they called tech support and resolved it. But before that they did not believe me or understand fully what the problem was. An alternative would be to head to internet shop afterwards....but nothing beats showing them.

Do your best to get bangkok bank account and I guess also SCB or desired bank. BKB will give you added flexibility of cheap ACH transfers. Surprised your GF does not use the ACH feature to send money back home. Doesn't she have to use SWIFT to send money to SCB?

Thanks for all that advice. It's really appreciated!!

I am bringing my laptop over and will take your considered advice.

My lass can't use the Internet cuz she never went to school (can't read or write That, let alone English). We just use our UK internet banking to transfer funds between UK and her Siam account. Costs £17 each transaction.

As I'd like to set up a Bangkok Bank account, on both Jingthings and your advice, but I'd also like to set up a Siam account, what sort of sum should I open each account with, any ideas?

Edited by JayBlake

My lass can't use the Internet cuz she never went to school (can't read or write That, let alone English). We just use our UK internet banking to transfer funds between UK and her Siam account. Costs £17 each transaction.

As I'd like to set up a Bangkok Bank account, on both Jingthings and your advice, but I'd also like to set up a Siam account, what sort of sum should I open each account with, any ideas?

500 baht + 300 baht for atm card. 200 baht atm card fee every year anniversary. You can pull out the money immediately after you open account at ATM if you wanted.

500 baht + 300 baht for atm card. 200 baht atm card fee every year anniversary. You can pull out the money immediately after you open account at ATM if you wanted.

LOLOL. Just goes to show how much I know. I was expecting you were going to say £500 here and £500 there.

Thanks for all your help.

Owe you and Jingthing (and a few others who helped but it's too late to find and list) a beer or three.:thumbsup:

500 Baht minimum deposit with SCB, 200 Baht for the ATM card plus 2'920 for the accident coverage insurance (gives you 100K for each treatment in hospitals for accidents plus up to 2 Mio for death and disability). No need for mobile, as you can open Internet banking without any verification (all you need is your account number...). All very easy... that is probably why their e-banking site is called scbeasy :rolleyes:

500 Baht minimum deposit with SCB, 200 Baht for the ATM card plus 2'920 for the accident coverage insurance (gives you 100K for each treatment in hospitals for accidents plus up to 2 Mio for death and disability). No need for mobile, as you can open Internet banking without any verification (all you need is your account number...). All very easy... that is probably why their e-banking site is called scbeasy :rolleyes:

Interesting. Can you do anything significant besides view balances/transactions without using a mobile phone for confirmation? Do you have to setup the internet banking in the branch? Or you can do it all online with just the account #?

To clarify the Bangkok Bank thing about how to apply for internet banking ... expats (workers, retirees etc) and foreign residents can activate their internet banking via ATM; however people whose account records reflect a tourist visa (or the bank still has them recorded as a tourist from the early days when they opened their first a/c) need to apply via the branch.

Activating internet banking via ATM only gives you access to those accounts which are linked to your ATM card. if you have other accounts - mutual funds, home loan etc - these can be added to ibanking by advising the branch (iBanking Amendment)

Plus not for joint accounts, must apply at branch.

Been there,did the hoop jumping etc.

Not a happy bear, PW failed to arrive in post, another visit to branch and left in bewilderment at how many photo copies of PP & signatures they could possibly want.

ph34r.gif

Interesting. Can you do anything significant besides view balances/transactions without using a mobile phone for confirmation? Do you have to setup the internet banking in the branch? Or you can do it all online with just the account #?

Yes you can transfer money to other banks (Thai) that you have setup in your transfer section. You can also pre-set other accounts you may want to transfer to in the future...For instance folks you do business with or relatives in Thailand.

You can also pay local bills again through previously setup accounts.

As for setting up after you leave the branch?? With SCB it is so simple to do when you open the account...5 minutes max why wouldn't you just do it then?

With BKB as I said earlier you do it right after you setup the account by getting a pin/temp password at the ATM.

If you live mainly outside of Thailand it is best to get it all done while you are there & test it.

That is what I did & have never had any problems.

Edited by flying

Yes you can transfer money to other banks (Thai) that you have setup in your transfer section. You can also pre-set other accounts you may want to transfer to in the future...For instance folks you do business with or relatives in Thailand.

As for setting up after you leave the branch?? With SCB it is so simple to do when you open the account...5 minutes max why wouldn't you just do it then?

With BKB as I said earlier you do it right after you setup the account by getting a pin/temp password at the ATM.

If you live mainly outside of Thailand it is best to get it all done while you are there & test it.

SCB allows for transfers to 3rd parties without the need for one-time passwords to cell phone?? very interesting. I guess that gives the user more control without forced two factor security. Is there a limit to the amount of transfer?

With BKB, every time I make transfer to 3rd party, OTP is required. I don't remember if I have the transfer to another BKB accounts if OTP is required only the first time adding the 3rd party, or every time I initiate a one-time transfer. I can pay a bill, but when setting up payee, I must first confirm OTP before I can pay that person. Like when topping up my phone, I had to do OTP the first time for each phone I want to add to the list, but now I can just topup any confirmed #s whenever I like.

Yes, my advice to check your internet login and settings immediately follows the "Don't make assumptions" agreement. Once you are outside thailand you are at a HUGE disadvantage if you need to "add" or "start" service that required in person visit.

SCB allows for transfers to 3rd parties without the need for one-time passwords to cell phone?? very interesting. I guess that gives the user more control without forced two factor security. Is there a limit to the amount of transfer?

With BKB, every time I make transfer to 3rd party, OTP is required. I don't remember if I have the transfer to another BKB accounts if OTP is required only the first time adding the 3rd party, or every time I initiate a one-time transfer. I can pay a bill, but when setting up payee, I must first confirm OTP before I can pay that person. Like when topping up my phone, I had to do OTP the first time for each phone I want to add to the list, but now I can just topup any confirmed #s whenever I like.

Yes, my advice to check your internet login and settings immediately follows the "Don't make assumptions" agreement. Once you are outside thailand you are at a HUGE disadvantage if you need to "add" or "start" service that required in person visit.

Actually both BKB & SCB allow transfers without the password.....Once setup...As you described.

Yes you need a OTP one time when you first setup your transfers section.

But after that it is good to go no matter how many times/months you use them

No limit to transfers that I have seen in the few years I have had the accounts.

Small fees

Sorry for the late answer, just seen your questions:

1) I only have the account to quaterly (depending on exchange rate) put cash in (through SWIFT) for my holidays and for later retirement purposes

2) When I opened the account, I did directly get an ATM card (MasterCard Debit Plus) and had to choose the PIN code at the branch. I did not sign up for any phone services, as my Thai phone does not work in Switzerland (it's blocked here)

3) The branch told me that I can not open Internet in their office, I would need to call their call center and they would open it for me. But this is obviously wrong.

4) You can open the e-banking online on https://www.scbeasy....01.aspx?LANG=en

5) You identiy yourself with the ATM card number, the PIn code for the card and your date of birth. Then you add your account number from the passbook, choose your login-ID and password and you are all set within 2 minutes. I did all this when I was back in Switzerland.

6) Now you can add other accounts, make money transfers, add mobile services etc. etc... all of which I don't need now.

Why SCB? Well, it was recommended by Thai friends...

Edited by Swiss1960

1) I only have the account to quaterly (depending on exchange rate) put cash in (through SWIFT) for my holidays and for later retirement purposes

2) When I opened the account, I did directly get an ATM card (MasterCard Debit Plus) and had to choose the PIN code at the branch. I did not sign up for any phone services, as my Thai phone does not work in Switzerland (it's blocked here)

3) The branch told me that I can not open Internet in their office, I would need to call their call center and they would open it for me. But this is obviously wrong.

5) You identiy yourself with the ATM card number, the PIn code for the card and your date of birth. Then you add your account number from the passbook, choose your login-ID and password and you are all set within 2 minutes. I did all this when I was back in Switzerland.

6) Now you can add other accounts, make money transfers, add mobile services etc. etc... all of which I don't need now.

Interesting. Would be nice if all of the banks were that easy to setup. So without having your account linked to a phone, what can you do without phone password access with SCB?

Actually both BKB & SCB allow transfers without the password.....Once setup...As you described.

No limit to transfers that I have seen in the few years I have had the accounts.

Small fees

Not necessarily. I went back and looked in my phone. I did need to do OTP to setup account, and to do bank to bank transfers to 3rd parties, I had to use OTP the FIRST time I made transfer to that person. Then apparently after that, no more OTP was necessary.

When paying a bill (like topping up phone), OTP was one time....then each topup OTP was not needed.

The bottom line is that you will need a Thai sim card, at least to setup initially. Then each time you need to add 3rd parties for payments/transfers/etc. In practice, you may only use it causally while in Thailand, but DO NOT throw away the sim. Keep it and your phone # details in a safe place when you leave. I think if you top up the AIS 1-2 call sim card with 300 baht, you get 1 year validity, right?

Interesting. Would be nice if all of the banks were that easy to setup. So without having your account linked to a phone, what can you do without phone password access with SCB?

Unfortunately, I can not answer your question as I do not need any other service except view my account. But i am sure there are other people here who will be able to tell you

Small fees

Not necessarily. I went back and looked in my phone. I did need to do OTP to setup account, and to do bank to bank transfers to 3rd parties, I had to use OTP the FIRST time I made transfer to that person. Then apparently after that, no more OTP was necessary.

When paying a bill (like topping up phone), OTP was one time....then each topup OTP was not needed.

The bottom line is that you will need a Thai sim card, at least to setup initially. Then each time you need to add 3rd parties for payments/transfers/etc. In practice, you may only use it causally while in Thailand, but DO NOT throw away the sim. Keep it and your phone # details in a safe place when you leave. I think if you top up the AIS 1-2 call sim card with 300 baht, you get 1 year validity, right?

Yes as I said I did it the one time & never since.

But....Because I do not live full time in Thailand I have my condo pay my bills for utility maintenance etc.

I just set them up as a transfer initially with the OTP

As for topping up needing a OTP....Could be but I do not keep a Thai sim current & buy new when I am in town.

Since I do not add any 3rd party payments/transfers I never had to have another OTP sent.

But as you say if you add then yes you will need the OTP for that addition each time. It is a good security measure so I am glad it is that way. I just be sure to add any 3rd parties while I am in Thailand.

Actually since my initial setup I have not added any further parties. ( But I sure did a few initially ) :)