Thai Floodwaters Spill Into Northern Bangkok

webfact

I am in the north of Bangkhen at the border of Sai Mai. still dry ! anyone around ?

I am in Don Muaeng and my soi seems pretty quiet raining lightly but no flood so far, but I sure it is coming if what the Governor said is true. Anyone else in Don Muaeng?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I traveled on Bus 6 from Khlong Ton Sai, Klongsan (near the Hilton Hotel) which is alongside the Chao Praya River. I got off at Sanam Luang and took bus 203 over the Chao Praya River, past Pinklao to Bang Kruai, back over the Chao Praya and ended up in Wong Sawat. From there I took Bus 97 to Bang Sue, Saphan Khwai and onto Thanon Phahon Yothin to Arai and then took the BTS back to the BTS Taksin station after making a few stops. Every place I went was dry. I saw three different areas of the Chao Praya and noticed that the waters were high, but not spilling over. I saw a few military trucks, here and there, but no major movements. I did not observe a lot of sandbags, but I did see a major fortress of sandbags at Central Silom. I stopped at several stores, The Villa in Arai; Tops in Silom and Tops in Sapan Taksin. There of course were a lot of goods being purchased, but only Tops in Silom had a lot of empty shelves. Robinsons at Taksin had a lot of flashlights for sale on the top floor and no one had any Sterno, which was something I was personally hoping to find. I did notice a few restaurants that could not operate because they did not receive their food deliveries. When I took the boat ferry across the Chao Praya from Taksin, I did notice that the water had risen to the top and was just slightly overflowing into the immediate area, but that was the worst thing I saw all day. Well, that was my little trip around the city and I thought it might be nice to share!

Thanks for sharing. Straight up reporting makes a refreshing change. ;)

I'm staying in Dusit, Bangkok, not far from Samsen road and it is dry, but the people are shopping like wild, many products are gone,especially rice. I have seen sandbag walls around important areas such as factories (Singha), military camps (Thahan Road). Soldiers are parking their cars inside the military buildings even if they haven't got a parking spot causing problems in letting in or out the other cars. A lot of panic around but I am not sure if it is justified?

Holland are the masters at flood prevention and have been working on their system for over 2 century's. However they still could not stop the Rhine floods in 1995.

Ok, carry on Yingluck bashers and those that think they can control mother nature.

If she made mistakes be specific, not "she could have maniged it better" reply's.

+1, 2 ,3 &4 I'm completely neutral on who is in charge honestly, I just don't see how a natural disaster of this magnitude can be blamed on the current admin. it just defies all logic and would even be a stretch to blame a well organized admin with years in office.

I hate to say it though natural disasters are the notable example where the communist Chinese system has it over the democratic systems in that if the top says do it, it gets done, there is none of the usual red tape, posturing or partisan politics involved they just get to the task at hand..

I'm staying in Dusit, Bangkok, not far from Samsen road and it is dry, but the people are shopping like wild, many products are gone,especially rice. I have seen sandbag walls around important areas such as factories (Singha), military camps (Thahan Road). Soldiers are parking their cars inside the military buildings even if they haven't got a parking spot causing problems in letting in or out the other cars. A lot of panic around but I am not sure if it is justified?

We had a similar sense of panic here in Don Muaeng, the Laksi Foodland was ram packed people buying everything they could lay their hands on. Sand bag everywhere and some people in my soi and elsewhere have build temporary concrete walls around their properties.

Well in a few days (or weeks) we will all have the benefit of hindsight and we can then say ... I should have done this or that ... or so-and-so was really stupid to park his car there ... or maybe ... "what the hell am I'm going to do now with 100kg of rice?" And a percentage of TV members will be saying "I told you so" ... and another percentage will be unusually quiet for a week or so before they come charging back into the fray of political debate ... we will all be speculating on the next coup ..... the soi dogs will reappear ... and the som tam woman will be back on the street out front. AND .... the rainy season will be over and all of us geezers will be telling yarns about the amazing flood in 2012. Mai Pen Rai ... Bo Pen Yang .... amazing thailand .... lets all have another beer :)

Edited by rogerdee123

Holland are the masters at flood prevention and have been working on their system for over 2 century's. However they still could not stop the Rhine floods in 1995.

Ok, carry on Yingluck bashers and those that think they can control mother nature.

If she made mistakes be specific, not "she could have maniged it better" reply's.

+1, 2 ,3 &4 I'm completely neutral on who is in charge honestly, I just don't see how a natural disaster of this magnitude can be blamed on the current admin. it just defies all logic and would even be a stretch to blame a well organized admin with years in office.

I hate to say it though natural disasters are the notable example where the communist Chinese system has it over the democratic systems in that if the top says do it, it gets done, there is none of the usual red tape, posturing or partisan politics involved they just get to the task at hand..

Again? I have not read one post blaming the disaster on hte administration; only the handling of it. If China is so good at handling disasters, why do hundreds and thousands die every year from natural disasters?

I am in Don Muaeng and my soi seems pretty quiet raining lightly but no flood so far, but I sure it is coming if what the Governor said is true. Anyone else in Don Muaeng?

I am in Dechatungha, top end of Don Muang. Early this afternoon army built a ramp at their end near Neo City to stop water flowing into Dechatungha. So far looking out of window it appears to have worked. We are dry but if water rises Neo city side 'cos of Klong Prapha being overloaded who knows. SongPraPha is closed due to floodingat expressway junction area. Had about 20 cm earlier but does anyone know how much now ?

I am at the Don Muaeng District office end and the Klong which runs through there to IT Square and beyond was looking unusually high at 15.00. With the National Memorial under nearly two feet of water according to a report then I think that it must be a matter of time before we get it here.

Srong bra pa rd as of about 4:30 was under about 8" (20cm) to 12" (31cm) coming from the Klong bra pa rd nearly past the military base going towards the klong bra pa it was about 2' (61cm) but further up the road and only high pickups or 4x4 to enter the houses are under water of course, the klong that runs parallel to Srong bra pa rd was about .5 meter from the top still but higher then it has ever been.

My wife just said that on NBT right now they are having a press conference and have said they are closing the klong bra pa sluice gate to control the level better and stop the progression in to Don Muang.. I'll try to get back up the road in about an hour or so and get back to give an update..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Today I traveled on Bus 6 from Khlong Ton Sai, Klongsan (near the Hilton Hotel) which is alongside the Chao Praya River. I got off at Sanam Luang and took bus 203 over the Chao Praya River, past Pinklao to Bang Kruai, back over the Chao Praya and ended up in Wong Sawat. From there I took Bus 97 to Bang Sue, Saphan Khwai and onto Thanon Phahon Yothin to Arai and then took the BTS back to the BTS Taksin station after making a few stops. Every place I went was dry. I saw three different areas of the Chao Praya and noticed that the waters were high, but not spilling over. I saw a few military trucks, here and there, but no major movements. I did not observe a lot of sandbags, but I did see a major fortress of sandbags at Central Silom. I stopped at several stores, The Villa in Arai; Tops in Silom and Tops in Sapan Taksin. There of course were a lot of goods being purchased, but only Tops in Silom had a lot of empty shelves. Robinsons at Taksin had a lot of flashlights for sale on the top floor and no one had any Sterno, which was something I was personally hoping to find. I did notice a few restaurants that could not operate because they did not receive their food deliveries. When I took the boat ferry across the Chao Praya from Taksin, I did notice that the water had risen to the top and was just slightly overflowing into the immediate area, but that was the worst thing I saw all day. Well, that was my little trip around the city and I thought it might be nice to share!

Thanks for sharing. Straight up reporting makes a refreshing change. ;)

Absolutely my pleasure. Your welcome!

Again? I have not read one post blaming the disaster on hte administration; only the handling of it. If China is so good at handling disasters, why do hundreds and thousands die every year from natural disasters?

<deleted> I'm not touting the Chinese system as a whole but yes when a disaster hits they just do the job, you can deny that all you want but the fact still remains in democracies we have a set of checks and balances that sometimes bog down the rescue process with red tape just ask those who suffered during the Katrina aftermath while FEMA and the government :jerk: around about how much response was to be discharged and when..

Passon - Thanks for some on-the-spot info city-wide mate! Good post

I am in Dechatungha, top end of Don Muang. Early this afternoon army built a ramp at their end near Neo City to stop water flowing into Dechatungha. So far looking out of window it appears to have worked. We are dry but if water rises Neo city side 'cos of Klong Prapha being overloaded who knows. SongPraPha is closed due to floodingat expressway junction area. Had about 20 cm earlier but does anyone know how much now ?

I am at the Don Muaeng District office end and the Klong which runs through there to IT Square and beyond was looking unusually high at 15.00. With the National Memorial under nearly two feet of water according to a report then I think that it must be a matter of time before we get it here.

Srong bra pa rd as of about 4:30 was under about 8" (20cm) to 12" (31cm) coming from the Klong bra pa rd nearly past the military base going towards the klong bra pa it was about 2' (61cm) but further up the road and only high pickups or 4x4 to enter the houses are under water of course, the klong that runs parallel to Srong bra pa rd was about .5 meter from the top still but higher then it has ever been.

My wife just said that on NBT right now they are having a press conference and have said they are closing the klong bra pa sluice gate to control the level better and stop the progression in to Don Muang.. I'll try to get back up the road in about an hour or so and get back to give an update..

Thanks for the update Warpspeed!

they should not panic. It's preparation,

What could have she done differently to prevent this?

She is the party leader - she was elected and is payed a salary to assume the responsibilities of high office. If she cannot control her ministers, then she can reasonably expect to have her leadership credentials scrutinized (and for the record, I am apolitical on this one).

that said - (IMO,) her biggest error by a mile was the initial poor decision-making in taking the position of party leader.

Good luck to all with the water

Thanks for the update Warpspeed!

No worries, stay dry

Alternate routes for Bangkok holiday-makers

Alternate routes are advised for holiday-makers heading out of Bangkok to substitute flooded roads, Highways Police commander Norrabun Naenna suggested Friday.

Motoristing heading North may use routes passing Nakhon Pathom, Ang Thong and Suphan Buri, or Route 11 through Prachin Buri. For northeast-bound motorists, they may head to Rangsit and take right turn into Ban Na district in Nakhon Nayok, then to Saraburi, or drive through Chachoengsao to Prachin Buri, then Pak Thong Chai district in Nakhon Ratchasima.

Key roads heading to the East and the South are not flooded. For more details please call 1193, Highways Police’s hotline.

nationlogo.jpg

<deleted> I'm not touting the Chinese system as a whole but yes when a disaster hits they just do the job, you can deny that all you want but the fact still remains in democracies we have a set of checks and balances that sometimes bog down the rescue process with red tape just ask those who suffered during the Katrina aftermath while FEMA and the government :jerk: around about how much response was to be discharged and when..

Oh please. Chinese Disaster handling consists of, amongst other things: Making sure no journalists go there. Making sure nobody can report any "failures of the systems" - such as badly constructed schools crushing children in a northern China earthquake not too long ago. Making sure local people who do want to report problems get shut down. And finally making sure everyone talking about these things also gets shut down. It's an exercise in propaganda, executed ruthlessly.

Their actual disaster handling might be good or bad, but we'll never know - because all reporting about it will be controlled by the state.

Keep us posted with reports from the ground. I am flying into BKK on Monday. Probably a mistake...

I agree there should be a thread with information - not just "official missives" but more interestingly pictures and first hand reports from the ground. And another "who's to blame" thread for those who like to endlessly discuss that kind of thing.

Holland seems to cope very well.

As I said before: if we would have had so much rain everything would be flooded too.

Yes, hard to see any reason for being proud of being able to build dikes all along ones coastline when all there was to take into consideration was wether or not sea water should be kept off the premises. On the other hand, not particularly clever to think there are any similarity between the the two countries' situations

We not only have to protect ourselves against the sea but also have similar problems as in Thailand at the moment if there is a lot of water coming in from Germany/Switzerland via the river Rhine, only this is on a much smaller scale.

Bhumibol & Sirkit dams can store up to 18 billion cubic meter of water. These two dams are the key success factors for Thailand to deal with similar or even bigger flood in the future. They definitely need new SOPs. Maybe small changes in design can do wonders.

There are many experts in water management in the world. What Thailand can do get a good team and ask the team to develop integrated river system management for CH river. All those dams cannot be operated in isolation.

Oh please. Chinese Disaster handling consists of, amongst other things: Making sure no journalists go there. Making sure nobody can report any "failures of the systems" - such as badly constructed schools crushing children in a northern China earthquake not too long ago. Making sure local people who do want to report problems get shut down. And finally making sure everyone talking about these things also gets shut down. It's an exercise in propaganda, executed ruthlessly.

Their actual disaster handling might be good or bad, but we'll never know - because all reporting about it will be controlled by the state.

Keep us posted with reports from the ground. I am flying into BKK on Monday. Probably a mistake...

I agree there should be a thread with information - not just "official missives" but more interestingly pictures and first hand reports from the ground. And another "who's to blame" thread for those who like to endlessly discuss that kind of thing.

Ok well you're more informed then I am. Really not worth arguing facts I know to be true..

Having been on the ground in both countries during times of such disasters and having in laws in China..

Edited by WarpSpeed

after all,the real power lies several thousand miles and a couple time zones away in luxurious Dubai the seaside.

The ministers are perhaps more to blame than her. Just look at her Science Minister.

Anyway the day of reckoning will soon come.

The day of reckoning has already been delayed far longer than most observers had anticipated; although, it has nothing to do with either floods nor Dubai. Nothing more can be said upon the matter. As for the floods, the floods are part nature and part 50 years of negligence on the part of a corrupt government.

1319260917[/url]' post='4784246']

Did FROC just confirmed that there is no flooding on Bangkok? Is Don Muang, zeer rangsit not bangkok?

CROCK lie, my house is flooded, my house is in Bangkok. It's close to the Nonthaburi border but it is Bangkok. For your own safety do not believe a word they say. The warning to move possessions for our area was given after we were flooded. Make your choice to stay and be prepared or get out of dodge while you can. We left at 7pm on Thursday, if we had waited until the morning we would not have been able to get out in the car.