Airport Taxi-Meter Destinations And Charges

JayBlake

Just a thought, new (or even repeat) visitors to Thailand often spend at least a night or two in Bangkok before traveling onwards (long-flight, recharge the batteries, sample the Capital's delights etc).

Is any Thai-Visa board member in a position to post the current typical taxi charges (and typical durations) from Suvarnabhumi to their various destinations?

Other BM's could update these as an when, along with their Airport Taxi-Meter experiences (good or bad).

I know I would find it useful as I rarely have the same destination, upon arrival and repeat journey costs (even routes/durations) may be subject to change since my last visit.

If the idea was deemed useful and regularly contributed to (I, for one, would be happy to post my updates/experiences, following each trip) it might even be worthwhile "pinning".

A I stated at the start, it's just a thought and I'd be interested to learn others' views.

if you cant afford a taxi take the bus into town . james :ermm:

A snide aside is no substitute for a helping hand, or even silence.

"seekingfriends"....?........I wonder why.:whistling:

post-39258-0-63012000-1319287770_thumb.j

post-39258-0-83956100-1319287728_thumb.j

You mean like this?

That is absolutely brilliant!!! Where did you get them from? Is there a similar list for destinations within the Greater Bangkok area? :jap:

That list seems a bit high Bangkok to Pattaya I usually get for 1200 baht

A great interjection (with whom you ordinarily travel would be useful to anyone aiming for Pattaya). :jap:

Seems to be working already.

Well chuffed.:D

JayBlake, a taxi from BKK airport to downtown Sukhumvit hotels will cost usually around 300-350 with tolls etc.

Make sure you tell the driver to take toll way.. some of them like to get off and not pay the toll but charge you as if they did.

If you are staying on even numbered sois off Sukhumvit from say 2 up to 40 then dont let the taxi driver get off highway on Sukhumvit rather continue down past south Ploenchit and take Rama IV.

Rama IV offers easy access to pretty much all sois except soi 4 ( see below) without the risk off the off ramp Sukhumvit congestion not too mention Sukhumvit itself.

If your staying in soi 4 or soi 6 then two option depending on the time.

If its during the day and up to early evening then get the driver to go past Sukhumvit turn off towards South Ploenchit again but take first LH turn in off the highway.. you then come back up and cut through the back of the Ploenchit centre.. you then exit turn right and go through Abbeys pub area ( 20Baht fee) and viola you are on Suk soi 4.

After hours come off at Sukhumvit exit and turn first left and go through Bumrungrad hospital. this then winds through to Soi nana/ Soi 4 and you are there.

Most taxi drivers know these little routes however sometime you get one who was only last week commanding a buffalo cart so good to be able to point them in the right direction.

Last two bits of advice

1) If you get in taxi at airport and the guy wont turn on the meter then get oit and go back to counters kerbside. they very soon change their tune

2) if you get in cab to go to say Pattaya and the car is obviously crap such as misfiring engine or really bad whine from rear drive train then just be firm and tell the guy no.... being stuck roadside half way to Pattaya is no fun and only opens you up to being exploited by the taxi driver you had and the new taxi who picks you up.

This happened to me and the taxi driver with breakdown was most insistent i pay the tow truck fee.. which i didn't.. the new taxi driver wanted to charge me B2000 to go from half way there to Pattaya.. that one I didn't get out of

all in all i have had some great fun taxi drivers, like all things in Thailand.. its a real mix... however always be courteous, never get animated unless you are pushed ad sometimes as with most things in Thailand just shrug shoulders and mutter TiT ( This is Thailand)

cheers Monty

• Like 1

I frequently use Taxis for work between Pattaya and the airport and usually pay 1200b, I always thought this to be OK value however this morning at 9.00am my private hire taxi took me from Siem Reap to Phnom Pehn airport for $70.00 USD (Bt.2200) total journey was 6hrs and 400km's and he was using petrol not gas, why is Thailand so expensive ??

I frequently use Taxis for work between Pattaya and the airport and usually pay 1200b, I always thought this to be OK value however this morning at 9.00am my private hire taxi took me from Siem Reap to Phnom Pehn airport for $70.00 USD (Bt.2200) total journey was 6hrs and 400km's and he was using petrol not gas, why is Thailand so expensive ??

Just a little off-topic, perhaps.

But if it's a comparison you seek, when I next fly out to LOS, I'll probably get the bus to the airport (which is all of 1.5 to 2 miles away) as the bus is "only" £1.50 per person - £3 for the pair of us (145Bt). The cab fare is £12 (600Bt) + pretty much mandatory tip at 20%.

Country by country comparisons are of little or no value as it's all relative and even subjective as to what is good/poor value.

I was hoping to concentrate on Airport Taxis (not even Taxi's in general) from Suvarnabhumi to elsewhere.

Thanks for the info, though.

JayBlake, a taxi from BKK airport to downtown Sukhumvit hotels will cost usually around 300-350 with tolls etc.

Make sure you tell the driver to take toll way.. some of them like to get off and not pay the toll but charge you as if they did.

If you are staying on even numbered sois off Sukhumvit from say 2 up to 40 then dont let the taxi driver get off highway on Sukhumvit rather continue down past south Ploenchit and take Rama IV.

Rama IV offers easy access to pretty much all sois except soi 4 ( see below) without the risk off the off ramp Sukhumvit congestion not too mention Sukhumvit itself.

If your staying in soi 4 or soi 6 then two option depending on the time.

If its during the day and up to early evening then get the driver to go past Sukhumvit turn off towards South Ploenchit again but take first LH turn in off the highway.. you then come back up and cut through the back of the Ploenchit centre.. you then exit turn right and go through Abbeys pub area ( 20Baht fee) and viola you are on Suk soi 4.

After hours come off at Sukhumvit exit and turn first left and go through Bumrungrad hospital. this then winds through to Soi nana/ Soi 4 and you are there.

Most taxi drivers know these little routes however sometime you get one who was only last week commanding a buffalo cart so good to be able to point them in the right direction.

Last two bits of advice

1) If you get in taxi at airport and the guy wont turn on the meter then get oit and go back to counters kerbside. they very soon change their tune

2) if you get in cab to go to say Pattaya and the car is obviously crap such as misfiring engine or really bad whine from rear drive train then just be firm and tell the guy no.... being stuck roadside half way to Pattaya is no fun and only opens you up to being exploited by the taxi driver you had and the new taxi who picks you up.

This happened to me and the taxi driver with breakdown was most insistent i pay the tow truck fee.. which i didn't.. the new taxi driver wanted to charge me B2000 to go from half way there to Pattaya.. that one I didn't get out of

all in all i have had some great fun taxi drivers, like all things in Thailand.. its a real mix... however always be courteous, never get animated unless you are pushed ad sometimes as with most things in Thailand just shrug shoulders and mutter TiT ( This is Thailand)

cheers Monty

Good advice, Monty and which I can confirm in parts.

Last time we travelled from the airport to Nana, I was dismayed to note the driver taking us straight passed the turn-off of Sukhumvit. After the best part of another half-hour (meter running and me needing a beer) I saw he was about to miss another. "Can you please tell him to turn next left" I said to my gal (we were traveling in the right-hand lane). "I can't" she said. "He get annoyed" (in other words he will lose "face"). When he passed the turn-off, I fkn "lost it" I'm afraid. I made him stop so that I could sit in the passenger seat, next to him. We then went around again (another half hour stuck in traffic) and when I directed him to drive in and under the hospital, he wouldn't so I just grabbed the steering wheel, gave him a look that he understood meant "face or no face, you gonna die if you mess with me" and two minutes later, we had arrived at our destination.

Knowing your way around does help.

I usually travel from Suvarnabhumi to lower Sukhumvit or Ratchada area for about 200 THB, I never go on the highway, usually never a problem to go on the regular roads.

Or why not use the airport link?

Edited by forumuser10

But if it's a comparison you seek, when I next fly out to LOS, I'll probably get the bus to the airport (which is all of 1.5 to 2 miles away) as the bus is "only" £1.50 per person - £3 for the pair of us (145Bt). The cab fare is £12 (600Bt) + pretty much mandatory tip at 20%.

Country by country comparisons are of little or no value as it's all relative and even subjective as to what is good/poor value.

I was hoping to concentrate on Airport Taxis (not even Taxi's in general) from Suvarnabhumi to elsewhere.

Swampy to Pattaya last night cost me 700b + tolls.

Swampy to Pattaya last night cost me 700b + tolls.

Wow, that's a heck of a great deal. I hope you gave the driver a beer and/or a plate of somtam on arrival in Patts.

How did you manage it though?

Was it pre-booked or flagged down (it surely can't have been via the official taxi point).

Plenty of people would like to know the answer (providing it don't "queer your own pitch" for future trips, of course).:)

I usually travel from Suvarnabhumi to lower Sukhumvit or Ratchada area for about 200 THB, I never go on the highway, usually never a problem to go on the regular roads.

Thanks, but how is what we all want to know.;)

Meter alone is more than 200B so can we assume you are either an incredibly good negotiator with the taxi's or your using the link or like my time when I lived in Shanghai my driver would pick me up with a six pack of cold beers. which cost more than 200B

• 4 months later...

JayBlake, a taxi from BKK airport to downtown Sukhumvit hotels will cost usually around 300-350 with tolls etc....

To clarify presumably by "with tolls" you mean 'excluding tolls' or 'plus tolls'. Last week I was charged around 500 bht to Silom Road in addition to which I paid the tolls. Would all that be normal or was I had?

Edited by triffid

JayBlake, a taxi from BKK airport to downtown Sukhumvit hotels will cost usually around 300-350 with tolls etc....

To clarify presumably by "with tolls" you mean 'excluding tolls' or 'plus tolls'. Last week I was charged around 500 bht to Silom Road in addition to which I paid the tolls. Would all that be normal or was I had?

I think he means including tolls

500 for Swampy to Silom sounds a bit on the stiff side,

was that using the meter or a fixed price?

You were had. 300 plus tolls maximum for that trip.

You were had. 300 plus tolls maximum for that trip.

I thought so. He said there was an airport extra. The driver also asked me to give him the paper the taxi stand girl had given me. It occurred to me later that he wanted to get any paper jd of the taxi etc in case I complained. Ah well one learns.

Surely it always depends on when you arrive as a frequent flyer ariving on Friday evening from Saigon, the taxi ride at 7.00pm can be longer than the flight

Last week Airport to Banglumphu I paid 350THB all in ( taxi from arrivals no meter ) he paid the road tolls the journey took 80minutes in slow moving traffic.