U.S., French leaders mourn death of Saudi Arabian heir to throne Aziz al Saud

News_Editor

U.S., French leaders mourn death of Saudi Arabian heir to throne Aziz al Saud

2011-10-23 00:01:11 GMT+7 (ICT)

NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) -- American and French leaders on Saturday offered their condolences after Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Sultan Abdul Aziz al Saud died in New York, with U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton calling him a 'good friend' to the United States.

Aziz al Saud, who served as Saudi Arabia's First Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense and Aviation, died at a hospital in New York City on early Saturday at the age of 83. He became Crown Prince and Deputy Prime Minister in August 2005 after the death of King Fahd.

A brief statement from the Saudi Arabian government said Aziz al Saud died after suffering from an illness, but gave no specific details. He had been diagnosed with colon cancer in 2004, causing him to undergo a series of corrective surgeries, including one to remove an intestinal polyp.

U.S. President Barack Obama said he learned of Aziz al Saud's death with 'great regret.' "As Minister of Defense and Aviation for almost 50 years, Crown Prince Sultan dedicated himself to the welfare and security of his people and country and was a valued friend of the United States," he said. "He was a strong supporter of the deep and enduring partnership between our two countries forged almost seven decades ago in the historic meeting between President Roosevelt and King Abd al-Aziz Al Saud."

In a brief statement, Obama added: "On behalf of the American people, I extend my deepest condolences to King Abdullah, the royal family, and the people of Saudi Arabia."

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said she was also saddened by the death. "On behalf of the American people, I offer my condolences on the horror of his loss to His Majesty King Abdullah and the people of Saudi Arabia," she said. "The crown prince was a strong leader and a good friend to the United States over many years as well as a tireless champion for his country. He will be missed."

French President Nicolas Sarkozy offered his condolences in a letter he wrote to King Abdullah. "It is with great sadness that I learned about the death of your brother," Sarkozy said. "At this time of mourning, I address you on my own behalf and on behalf of the people of France, and offer my deepest condolences to you and the entire Saudi nation."

Sarkozy said Aziz al Saud played a 'crucial role' in the modernization of Saudi Arabia, particularly in the field of defense. "His death is a great loss to your country," the French leader told King Abdullah.

Earlier, British Foreign Secretary William Hague also said he was 'very sad' to hear the news. "He served the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for many years with great dignity and dedication," he said. "His contribution to the prosperity and development of the Kingdom will long be remembered. I would like to offer my sincere condolences to the Kingdom and its people at this sad time."

And in Russia, the Kremlin said President Dmitry Medvedev had sent a message of condolences to Saudi King Abdullah. "I would like to express to you, your family, and all the people of Saudi Arabia our sincere sympathy and condolences following this great loss," Medvedev said.

Leaders of other countries, including Bahrain, Iraq and Malaysia, also sent their condolences to the people of Saudi Arabia. The Saudi Arabian government said a funeral prayer for Aziz al Saud will be held on Tuesday at a mosque in Riyadh.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-10-23