Have You Noticed The Supermarket Shelves?

khaan

Today at 7/11 ... no shortages of anything. Fully stocked. This was downtown.

Water and diapers seem to be kind of rare ATM in some supermarkets. Just buy Evian and you're fine though ;) plus, about time to get on with the potty training...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

plus, about time to get on with the potty training...

Thought you would be a bit old for that now. :D

The mom & pop shop in our moo bahn had quite a few packs of water, a few dozen, when I went in to stock up. Normal run, not panic stocking. ;) However, the brand I always buy was not there and it was a new brand I've never seen and they've never stocked before. Perhaps similar to a previous poster's comment where it was the only thing left - gives one room for pause as to 'why' they are the only brand there.

Seems a lot of people drink Supermarket bottled water. I guess you guys live in condo's etc where delivery trucks don't go. If the Supermarkets run out just hail a passing water truck or two and get some in.

No, I live in a village but don't trust this delivery water. I think the only Thai reliable water is spring water like Mont Fleur and Aura. A big problem with drinking water these days are not bacteries or parasites but pesticides and medicines. You can't purify water from it at your house with filter systems although some brands claim they can (partially). But that's a lie.

Edited by Joop50

Seems a lot of people drink Supermarket bottled water. I guess you guys live in condo's etc where delivery trucks don't go. If the Supermarkets run out just hail a passing water truck or two and get some in.

No, I live in a village but don't trust this delivery water. I think the only Thai reliable water is spring water like Mont Fleur and Aura. A big problem with drinking water these days are not bacteries or parasites but pesticides and medicines. You can't purify water from it at your house with filter systems although some brands claim they can (partially). But that's a lie.

Everyone to their own idea's I suppose. How do we know that bottled water is any better unless we are scientists with equipment to check it? I'll stick to delivered water as it seems to have kept wifey alive for 48 years and me too for the last 4.

Tops at Airport Plaza had six jars of Kraft Miracle Whip at 1130.......out of consideration for my American friends, I took none. smile.gif

You have got to be <deleted> kidding me. I guess they have no worries that sludge will never make the controlled goods list!

what is miracle whip? Miracle Thailand and miracle whip are they one of the same?

A big problem with drinking water these days are not bacteries or parasites but pesticides and medicines. You can't purify water from it at your house with filter systems although some brands claim they can (partially). But that's a lie.

A RO system will take out everything.

I think we're just starting to see the shortages of all sorts of things that are warehoused and distributed out of the Bangkok region.

Good point. This is going to be a longer crisis than many especially in BKK are imagining.

I'm hearing stories about gasoline shortages for ChiangMai as well due to trucking delays.?.?.

Went to fill up the bike today and they were out of 91. Only had 95. Not sure if this is due to flooding or not but some things are getting scarce here.

My girlfriend runs a shop and has been told that Hong Tong is in short supply. At least most of the Lao Kao is made locally :lol:

Winnie, thanks for reminding me, I do need to grab a new bag of coffee beans too.

Silly the back n forth going on here. Yes there will be some noticeable things going on as many have noted. But then as others point out - WTK, the voice of calm - it's hardly a breakdown of civilization as we know it. We're quite ok up here.

And a last word to the preachers with narrow minds: Mama is mama, fine. But what I do with it is what separates me from you. I cook 95% of my own meals, mama being a small part of that. I eat mama about 5x/wk. I keep a stirfry of vegetables in the fridge, along with a supply of Thai Yai style pakard dong (like at Khao Soi Islam). I also keep frozen sugar snap peas from Makro. I boil up the mama, fry an egg, grab my various vegetables, and build a Hero Mama. So....I understand vegetables and healthy eating, thanks. I earn my permission to buy mama even if you think you know/do better.

I'm sorry but you are saying that you eat Mama 5 times a week. Why There are so much fresh and much better tasting noodles around. I just don't understand why you would want to eat Mama. A last resort for me no matter what I add.

Instant noodles is what I had every day for lunch at Uni. I hope I've moved on.:D

Yeah I was wondering that. Why buy supermarket water when I can get 12 1 litre bottles for 30 Baht. Never mind the bid 20 litre containers.

Everyone to their own idea's I suppose. How do we know that bottled water is any better unless we are scientists with equipment to check it? I'll stick to delivered water as it seems to have kept wifey alive for 48 years and me too for the last 4.

I agree what do people have against delivered bottle water. Been on it for nearly 4 years and no problem. I guess for some people the much higher price gives them peace of mind.

Also 7-11's are running out of things. Especially in their fresh food Compartment. Today I saw New Orleans style Chicken burgers taking up to whole rows but only about 1 deep. I guess those are the things they can't shift. Say's something about how good they are.

An act of kindness if I ever saw one. No Miracle Whip anywhere near me in Bangbon....jealousy sets in, outrage at the distribution system, then laughter as I cut a slice from my pesto bread fresh from the oven.

Tops at Airport Plaza had six jars of Kraft Miracle Whip at 1130.......out of consideration for my American friends, I took none. smile.gif

In college I lived on TunaMacNcheese and never lost a taste for it..strange..sometimes peasant food is comforting. I don't mind being a peasant.

Completely separate from the flodding issue I have a long standing practice of keeping a supply of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese and Miracle Whip stored in an undisclosed location B) B)

Oh, friend, let me introduce you to the wonders of Miracle Whip...it has almost half the saturated fat of mayo, a tangy, bright taste suited for salads, sandwiches and satisfaction...a creamy delight of savory smiles sent worldwide and worthwhile to know. Ah, Miracle Whip...like a hug from Mum on the day after school let out, when Dad was at work and you came home from playing all morning, and brownies were tempting the whole house with the scent of tasty warm joys to come. But the sandwich first, Basil, you can't have any pudding until you eat your meat. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

biggrin.gif

You have got to be <deleted> kidding me. I guess they have no worries that sludge will never make the controlled goods list!

what is miracle whip? Miracle Thailand and miracle whip are they one of the same?

miracle whip is like Mayo....nasty :)

Miracle Whip is made with the basic ingredients in Mayo but spices are added to give it's bolder taste.

Ingredients:

Water, soybean oil, vinegar, sugar, modified cornstarch, eggs, salt, mustard flour, paprika, spice, natural flavor, dried garlic, potassium sorbate as a perservative and enzyme modified egg yolk

Yesterday some gas stations have been closed in the Nong Hoi area and the others who still stay open had long queues.

If all gas is produced in the bangkok area than we shall have a problem here.Somebody has more information ?

Latest info I have is that there is plenty of fuel available at the distribution depot's but they can't deliver it fast enough to keep up with demand that is coming in. Only so many tankers to go around. My guess is that people are filling up daily 'just in case' shortages occur. Drove down 108 this morning and all the stations I passed seem to have fuel and customers filling up. However; can't say if all the tanks are full or just certain grades available. Saw a tanker leaving one station just on the North side of Hang Dong.

This thread: a perfect example of the farang with too much spare time on hand, too little to do to fill it! whistling.gif

I have found that it's actually quite a pleasant life style.

No disagreement here - I enjoy the lifestyle, and the local food immensely. It's speculating about 'western food' shortages - esp. the mayo and mac & cheese - that is a bit over the top - IMHO. People in the south are facing real food issues; farang in Chiang Mai, facing shortages of their own imagination. jap.gif

It's speculating about 'western food' shortages - esp. the mayo and mac & cheese - that is a bit over the top - IMHO.

Miracle Whip actually and they were joking.

Was joking about Miracle Whip - But now it has gone critical!...

KFC Zinger Sandwiches mot laao! :o

Edited by sfokevin

It's speculating about 'western food' shortages - esp. the mayo and mac & cheese - that is a bit over the top - IMHO.

They say that all the time at Hangdong Big C KFC. If you say that can't be true, you will wait for them to cook new chicken for the sandwhiches. It's the lazy way to say finished. Finished at 12 Noon? The manager works wonders and miracles.

Edited by Lifer

The hotel I'm in no longer provides its guests with bottled water. I find this confusing.

I'm talking about those glass bottles with the pull-off tops that sometimes don't seem to fit right. Am I to believe they import this from Bangkok? I had assumed there was some kind of giant water filtration set-up here in CM that did this sort of thing.

So I'm boiling water and using that to fill the empties. I don't want to hear any talk of pesticides or medicines or whatever in the tap water, since I'm sure the anxiety over what that will do to me will be more harmful than the adulterants, at least over the short-term.

The hotel I'm in no longer provides its guests with bottled water. I find this confusing.

I'm talking about those glass bottles with the pull-off tops that sometimes don't seem to fit right. Am I to believe they import this from Bangkok? I had assumed there was some kind of giant water filtration set-up here in CM that did this sort of thing.

So I'm boiling water and using that to fill the empties. I don't want to hear any talk of pesticides or medicines or whatever in the tap water, since I'm sure the anxiety over what that will do to me will be more harmful than the adulterants, at least over the short-term.

Don't worry about the pesticides in the water - there's more than enough in the fruit & veg....

They say that all the time at Hangdong Big C KFC. If you say that can't be true, you will wait for them to cook new chicken for the sandwhiches. It's the lazy way to say finished. Finished at 12 Noon? The manager works wonders and miracles.

NO!... There are there are big red signs over the menu banner...

Apparently they have no more buns!

It's always the weak link in the chain :blink:

Edited by sfokevin

you guys i am not sure they deliver in Chiang Mai but they are still working in Bangkok these days, "HomeMade-Cheese Co." and they make and deliver fresh cheese and yogurt even during the floods, worth a try to see if the deliver cheese and yogurt in Chiang Mai.

www.homemade-cheese.com