Trade In An Bike, What Are They Thinking.

Dutchbike

Hi to everybody,

I'm new here and in the past i,ve been reading a lot on this forum finding usefull info and stories.

Now it is time for me to step into the arena, joining in the discussions,

To start of i need a bit of advice on the following: i fell in love with the 2012 kawasaki ER-6-N and for that reason i want to sell one of my bikes;

It is a 2011 Kawasaki KLX250 it is a great bike, but life is about making choices (and keeping budget) so when i want the ER6N some thing has to go.

(Another option i was consindering is buying a new CBR 250 on the side ( and keeping the KLX) but that also being ( just) a 250 i'm afraid it will not fill my needs for the longer bike trips i'm planning.)

So far so good i've made my decision so it was time to make my steps, i bought the KLX 250 at the Kawa dealer in Korat ( MPC bike shop) and will buy the ER6N there to.

I've send the owner an e-mail and asked about the price, when it will arrive in his shop and in which colors it will be available.also i asked him if he could give me a rough estimate about the trade in price for the KLX.

The same day he replied: ( quote)

ER-6n model 2012 will coming to my shop in December and the price is 250,000 it's come in 2 colors black and white. I also do trade in Kawasaki bike but for the used KLX is around 80,000 anyway we can talk about it later. One more thing Z1000 is coming to my shop. You may come to take a look.

I already was expacting a low trade in price ( i bought the bike with some extra's for 165K including 1st class insurance) but that low!!!!! an offer of 80K means a devaluation of 50% in 9 months. what was he thinking.mayby with some negotiation i could get a bit more but no way i'm going to trade in that bike.

So i will have to sell the bike myself and for that i looking for some advice; what would be realistic pricetag for an 2011 KLX250 ( white) 2250 km's and as good as new????i have been looking at the adds section of Thaivisa but there aren't many KLX around.

Also i'm curious about other members experiences with trading in bikes. I know Thais don't like 2nd hand vehicles but at a Kawasaki dealer you should get a bit more.

thanks in advance;

Dutchbike.

Why? You are lucky that he is even thinking about trade in.. Some main dealers do not accept trade in's. Think about it his way. He has to resell the bike it MAY sit for a few months before it sells. Also going on the email, that was a typical lowball offer.

The bike devalued 30% as soon as you left the showroom.

there are a few on mocyc going for around 115-135,000B

If i were you i would advertise it on gt rider, bahtsold and here on TV.

Good luck.

Your right used klx 250 are quite rare I have been looking for 1 for a couple of months I would be willing to buy yours but you are a bit far from me if you were nearer my area I would buy it today.

As thai cbr said advertise it here and baht and sold it will sell within a week.

I already was expacting that i have to sell the KLX myself but just was curious about the trade in price.

I guess the margin of the dealer on selling new bikes is that not that high so it explains the low trade in value, ( among other reasons

you mentioned)

On various add sites i found recent bikes (like ninja 250/ cbr 250's/d trackers) with pricetags of 10 to 20% devaluation.

You mentioned a price tag of between 115/135 which means 25 to 12% devaluation

thanks for your advice.

of course the dealer will offer you as less as possible but thats just how the game is played

he can also source a brand new one with zero KM on the clock for the price of sending an email and it wont cost him 165,000 thb

i also would sell it privately ,take a picture ,set a date for accepting offers until ,the market will decide how much you get

dont worry ,it will be more than 80,000k :)