English Bread

hellyes2oo2

What exactly do you mean English type bread???

If you mean a sliced loaf for sandwiches then any supermarket, cash and carry or even any 7-11 will stock it.

HL :D

:bah:

Have you ever had English bread ?

Those you mention are a pale substitute.

The nearest you will get from supermarkets is Makro with their uncut farmhouse bread.

Edited by cardholder

Thanks guys, cardholder, I know what you mean, all thai bread seems to be sweet. I used to get english bread from a franchise in Big C in Sisaket, and it was good, but suddenly they seemed to change the flavour of the bread and now it tastes horrible. As for the uncut bread from makro, i have tried it, and i can only eat it when it is toasted. I usually go to staffords in Prassat, I find his bread is great, and also his bacon, but some say his pies are great, but I have to say for me, they lack moisture., and I don't like his sausages. I have also tried steve from buri ram, and i don't know what it is,but both of the pastry on these pies seems strange, i think maybe they use margarine instead of lard in their mix, but i understand it is hard to get lard here. Anyway i here there is a place called peppers in ubon, that have bread, can anyone tell me anything about it. Lastly, can anyone tell me where the 108 place is in surin, as i understand he sells staffords bread.

Not really sure what 'English Bread' is but you could try Peppers Bakery and Cafe. Their Multi Grain is pretty good. Right near the airport as well which will be handy for you. Ask for John if you are chasing an English speaker. 045-264599

Thanks guys, cardholder, I know what you mean, all thai bread seems to be sweet. I used to get english bread from a franchise in Big C in Sisaket, and it was good, but suddenly they seemed to change the flavour of the bread and now it tastes horrible. As for the uncut bread from makro, i have tried it, and i can only eat it when it is toasted. I usually go to staffords in Prassat, I find his bread is great, and also his bacon, but some say his pies are great, but I have to say for me, they lack moisture., and I don't like his sausages. I have also tried steve from buri ram, and i don't know what it is,but both of the pastry on these pies seems strange, i think maybe they use margarine instead of lard in their mix, but i understand it is hard to get lard here. Anyway i here there is a place called peppers in ubon, that have bread, can anyone tell me anything about it. Lastly, can anyone tell me where the 108 place is in surin, as i understand he sells staffords bread.

Peppers would probably be a good bet for you, as it is situated on the road running to the airport, Uppalasan Road (almost opposite entrance to the air base).

Owner's name is John - 045264599.

Elwood

Hi helyes - I am in Buriram but as the thread was started about Udon I didn't comment on Staffords bread (which is good) or Richard the baker in Lahansai (excellent bread and rolls). Not sure where Gary gets bread but I know a couple of people who bring bread back from Pattaya.

Pies - there is a whole thread on the Stafford's vs Buriram Pies. I enjoy both (I sell both) and whilst it is always a case of personal taste I agree with your comments - some of Staffords pies lack moisture and Steve's pastry is certainly thicker. For this part of the world it is nice to have the choice.

Suggest that you post on one of the local forums to locate 108 - I am not sure of the exact location

can't understand you wanting English Bread. Never heard of anyone eating it here. . One of the reasons I left the UK was because the food was so bad. Even when I lived there I always tried to get French bread. There is nothing world to beat the French baguette. Thai style bread has too much sugar but most shopping malls in Thailand have excellent bread with minimal sugar and a wide vwriety. It is just a quetion of trying them until you get what you like.<br>

can't understand you wanting English Bread. Never heard of anyone eating it here. . One of the reasons I left the UK was because the food was so bad. Even when I lived there I always tried to get French bread. There is nothing world to beat the French baguette. Thai style bread has too much sugar but most shopping malls in Thailand have excellent bread with minimal sugar and a wide vwriety. It is just a quetion of trying them until you get what you like.<br>

You can get excellent food in the UK and you can get crap food in any country - Thailand has it's fair share.

I agree about the French baguettes - I get mine from Cambodia.

I could survive on the bread in green bags from 7/11 - if pressed.

I used to get a sour dough loaf from Wrongway Bar on Paedeng worth a try if they have them .

I also used to get sourdough bread from Richard. Really tasty stuff. Not sure if he is still baking them. If so I will definately be get back into them when I get back to Ubon soon.

I used to get a sour dough loaf from Wrongway Bar on Paedeng worth a try if they have them .

I also used to get sourdough bread from Richard. Really tasty stuff. Not sure if he is still baking them. If so I will definately be get back into them when I get back to Ubon soon.

Let us raise a toast .

Let us raise a toast .

Richard is still baking his great bread and rolls. If you PM me I can give you his phone number.

Let us raise a toast .

Richard is still baking his great bread and rolls. If you PM me I can give you his phone number.

If anyone is in doubt, have a look at these little babies:-

I think there is some confusion here :unsure:

Richard from WrongWay cafe in Ubon

is not making any bread (in WW anymore)!

Ting, his ex who runs WW might still be doing it, and if so the bread is good! :D

If you have the time for it.....

Baking your own bread is so easy, even i can do it.

All you need is an oven (traditional or thai UFO style), aluminium foil, flour, yeast, sugar and water.

Google will give you the details.

So much more tasty than the supermarket bread, and a nice feeling too.

Let us raise a toast .

If anyone is in doubt, have a look at these little babies:-

post-108506-0-10989200-1319563593_thumb.

If you mean a sliced loaf for sandwiches then any supermarket, cash and carry or even any 7-11 will stock it.

The nearest you will get from supermarkets is Makro with their uncut farmhouse bread.

Yes cardholder, I had "English bread " during the 56 years that I lived there.

And if you reread my post you will see that I didnt actually mention any specific type of bread, I just generalised (sliced loaf) in order to try and help the guy out, so I really dont see why that warrants the sarcasm.

There was a cafe near where I lived that made bacon sarnies using doorsteps cut from a fresh bloomer and three or four huge rashers, if I ever fantasise about bread like all you guys then that is what would come to mind.

Yes cardholder, I had "English bread " during the 56 years that I lived there.

And if you reread my post you will see that I didnt actually mention any specific type of bread, I just generalised (sliced loaf) in order to try and help the guy out, so I really dont see why that warrants the sarcasm.

There was a cafe near where I lived that made bacon sarnies using doorsteps cut from a fresh bloomer and three or four huge rashers, if I ever fantasise about bread like all you guys then that is what would come to mind.

Not sarcastic at all - the sliced loaf you referred simply does not correlate with English bread (the subject of the thread).

Nice fantasy about the bacon doorsteps though - I am happy to share in that ! :D

Oh my god guys, yesterday i called into peppers in Ubon, I asked if they had english bread, and the girl behind the counter assured me and my thai wife that they had. My wife asked them if the bread was sweet or not, and they assured her it was not, They then brought a large and a small uncut loaf from the freezer, we asked once again if the bread was not sweet, and the girl assured it was not. I bought 2 loaves, picked up my brother at the airport, and was looking forward to a great english breakfast today. We cooked the breakfast, bacon, egg, sausage, tomatoes, and black pudding, we sliced the bread, and sickenly it was so sweet we could not eat it. It tasted as if it used this vanilla flavoured butter that you can buy in cheap thai shops. I am very sad that an english baker turns out such crap bread.why o why.

FYI Most of the "french" bread that is sold in the major high st retailers in the UK is made in a factory in Barnsley Sth Yorks. They even export to France

I have to say to you that the butter I use in my bread at Peppers is Allowrie butter from Australia. It is indeed not a cheap butter from a cheap Thai shop. I would be very happy for you to come back and see me and you are welcome to have a refund and a cup off coffee on the house. I sell a lot of bread and not ever had a comment like this, so please feel free to make your self known to me. My name is John.

Oh my god guys, yesterday i called into peppers in Ubon, I asked if they had english bread, and the girl behind the counter assured me and my thai wife that they had. My wife asked them if the bread was sweet or not, and they assured her it was not, They then brought a large and a small uncut loaf from the freezer, we asked once again if the bread was not sweet, and the girl assured it was not. I bought 2 loaves, picked up my brother at the airport, and was looking forward to a great english breakfast today. We cooked the breakfast, bacon, egg, sausage, tomatoes, and black pudding, we sliced the bread, and sickenly it was so sweet we could not eat it. It tasted as if it used this vanilla flavoured butter that you can buy in cheap thai shops. I am very sad that an english baker turns out such crap bread.why o why.

Edited by AliasJohn

You might just have well into a 7-11 and bought some Farmers wheat bread and toasted it. Surely a match for any sliced Mothers Pride or Hovis when your sticky rice runs out?