Legalization For Thai Marriage Documents

I wonder if anyone can help me? I am preparing to apply for Schengen tourist visa's to Spain for my Thai wife, our son and her Thai son from a previous marriage(ex husband deceased). I am a UK citizen btw. I've done a fair amount of research regarding EU legislations and directives, in particular 2004/38/EC.

Now, as far as I can gather, the only documents that the Spanish embassy can lawfully demand from us are full, current passports and proof of family link, such as marriage, birth and ex husband's death certificates.

I recently paid a company in Udon Thani, to translate and legalize these very documents but when they came back I found that they had made a 'certified true copy' of every document which had been stamped by the Thai Ministry Of Foreign Affairs and 'Seen at the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs' stamped on every translation. I believe that this would suffice for most other EU countries embassy's in Bangkok but not the Spanish apparently, as this following document arrived in my lap a few days before my documents returned. I have emailed the Spanish embassy on several occasions to request clarification as to what I would have to do to make my documents acceptable but to no avail. The Thai Ministry Of Foreign Affairs are equally unhelpful. Does any one know how I can satisfy their whims or is what they are asking for illegal? Should I arrange an appointment armed with a bundle of EU directives and ask to see the head honcho?

Here is the aforementioned document:INFO LEGALIZACIONES ing (1).doc

Many thanks for any help rendered!biggrin.gif

As I understand it, the legalisation by the Thai MFA needs the original document AND the certified translation.

The MFA will combine the documents, put a sticker on it for the legalisation of the original signature, and a sticker on the translation also.

The both documents will be connected by a staple and tape and a stamp, making it one document.

And with this MFA legalised combined document the Spanish Embassy, being a part of the Schengen Area, will accept the legalised document, and will also legalise it.

And the, presto, it is a valid document for Thailand, Spain and all the Schengen countries.

As I understand it, the legalisation by the Thai MFA needs the original document AND the certified translation.

The MFA will combine the documents, put a sticker on it for the legalisation of the original signature, and a sticker on the translation also.

The both documents will be connected by a staple and tape and a stamp, making it one document.

And with this MFA legalised combined document the Spanish Embassy, being a part of the Schengen Area, will accept the legalised document, and will also legalise it.

And the, presto, it is a valid document for Thailand, Spain and all the Schengen countries.

Thanks Hansnl.

The MFA (or at least the translation company I used in Udon!) were issued with all the original documents AND certified translations were made of all. But NO sticker on the originals..only a 'certified true copy' and 'Seen at the MFA' on the English translation. This, like you said, has been combined into one document. I also had everything done in Spanish. Again, 'certified true copy' (So they must've had the original right?) paperclipped to a ''certificado de matrimonio' stamped by the 'seccion de espanol'.

So, if this is not acceptable then why did the MFA not follow procedure correctly? Or maybe this is the method of legalization widely accepted and the Spanish Embassy are just playing silly buggers?

Anyone know?

Thanksa again Hansnlbiggrin.gif