Ok, Visa Time For Girlfriend Tommorow

Hi guys, trying to get my girlfriend over to England for christmas. Little bit about us... My girlfriend is 23 I am 20, we have a 4 month old daughter she has a british passport. We have to hand in my girlfriends application tomorrow and we are really nervous!!

How long will she be in the visa bit as I know I am not allowed in?

Do they have a car park?? As I don't really fancy parking at a mall and getting the taxi there.

We are showing our daughters birth certificate as well does this need to be translated as it is in Thai? Can this be done in the embassy?

Really nervous!!!

Hi Leeboi999,

You don't say what type of Visa you are applying for.....

If it is a settlement / marriage visa I think you should be aware there is an age limit for both partners of 21 years, you say you are 20 ????

(On 27 November 2008 UKBA increased the minimum age for marriage visas from 18 to 21 years. This means you cannot sponsor or be sponsored as a husband, wife, civil partner, fiancé(e), prospective civil partner or unmarried/same-sex partner until you are 21 years old.).

If it is a visit Visa you may be OK on the age issue, I don't think there is a limit.

There was limited parking when I was at the Bangkok VFS (UKBA) office last month, we just got a taxi and dropped off at the door.

My wife was in the inner sanctum for 1 Hr Exactly

Hope this helps

Frogster

Edited by 7by7
Link to commercial site removed.

In addition to he above; documents in Thai should be accompanied by an English translation, documents in English do not need to be translated into Thai.

As Frogstar says, unfortunately at present your partner does not qualify for a UK settlement visa as you both need to be 21 or over. However, there is no age limit for visitors.

Do you live in Thailand? If so, there should be no problem with a visit visa for your partner, but if you live in the UK you will need to show a good reason why your wife will return to Thailand after the visit and not stay in the UK with you and her daughter. As well as any other evidence you have, say in your sponsor's letter that you are aware of the age limit for settlement as a spouse/partner which is why she is not applying for settlement at this time.

BTW, Frogstar, it was not the UKBA that decided to increase the age limit for spouses, fiances and partners; it was the government.

You can submit a settlement application below the age of 21 with a covering letter asking the SSHD to consider your application outside of the immigration rules in light of the judgments against the 21 rule. Scores of people have been successful this way but there is no guarantee on time frames. Remember the Government has not yet decided to appeal meaning the judgment is legally binding, hence get an application in if you're affected.

One does not have to wait until the UKBA updates their website regarding the matter.

As far as I was aware the 21 year minimum age for settlement has been ruled disproportionate (see link below). I would doubt that an application would be rejected automatically on age grounds alone because of the very real chance of it being overturned at appeal.

http://www.nrcentre.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=13:Policies%20&%20Rulings&id=350:21-minimum-age-limit-for-spouse-visas-overturned&Itemid=9

This obviously does not apply to tourist visas but there the main reason for refusal would probably be reason to return so make sure this is covered!

hey guys, I tryed to reply in the mornign before I left but I wasnt logged in so didnt try again, yeah we were just trying for a visit visa I have been living with her since I was 18. Applied today really nervous hope she gets it, my old man really wants to meet her and our daughter as he doesnt like flying so can't come here! Grandpa also has parkinsons disease and we don't know how long he has left so it really is important !

Thanks for all your replys... Just the waiting now... Another question if you don't mind!

They told my girlfriend she will get a text within 15 days, is this just to say passport is available for pick up, I guess it doesn;t say if passed or rejected?

Thanks guys!

We have just got the text from the embassy that the passport is ready for collection ahhhhhhhhhhhh... That is pretty quick??? Is that a bad sign?

And we will be coming from nakhon Patom way to get there... What is the best route to avoid floods as pinklao is under right?

We have just got the text from the embassy that the passport is ready for collection ahhhhhhhhhhhh... That is pretty quick??? Is that a bad sign?

And we will be coming from nakhon Patom way to get there... What is the best route to avoid floods as pinklao is under right?

Don't read anything, good or bad into the speed of turn around. If you are resident in Thailand and intend to return then the biggest hurdle (reason to return) is covered so best of luck! I would expect the news to be good from the limited information posted but if there is a problem post it here (blanking out personal details) and there should be help available. You can reapply at any stage!

I am sure it will be fine!

Don't read anything, good or bad into the speed of turn around. If you are resident in Thailand and intend to return then the biggest hurdle (reason to return) is covered so best of luck! I would expect the news to be good from the limited information posted but if there is a problem post it here (blanking out personal details) and there should be help available. You can reapply at any stage!

I am sure it will be fine!

Thanks Bob I hope so!!!!

As Bob says don't read anything into it, it just means it's ready.

Though VFS is closed on Monday for the submission of applications, they are still open from 13.00 - 16.00 for the collection of passports, though you might want to check first.

I suspect you will be the first in the queue, good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

its like coronation street ,the wait is killing me .Did she get the visa. ps i hope she did