Drinking Water

phillies

Probably both and that supplies are being send to BKK.Look for the shops with the big (20 liter?) white water bottles and buy one or two of them. They should cost something like 15 baht (+ around 100 baht for the bottle, which will be refunded on return). Often they will send to your house.

I get mine from a water machine outside the apartments.

But beer has water in it, right....I'm sure it's possible to live for a few weeks on beer alone...that's my backup plan. I am surprised water is in short supply here.

Same in Chiang Mai but if you look around at the Mum 'n' Pop corner shops they still have plenty and I suspect it will be the same all over the country. A bit of panic buying soon empties the shelves in places like 7. As an earlier poster suggested just get a large bottle or two and get it refilled when needed. Of course this only works if they have enough big bottles to go round.

My local 7 had no bottled water at all for the last 4 days but tonight the shelves had a fair display. Not full but far from empty :)

We usually drink use the 6 liter bottles from Tesco, Singha, Nestle, or Minere. They seem to be non-existent these days but I found several Thai shops in my neighborhood this morning that still had lots of the 1.5 liter bottles.

If it comes to it, I got this from a U.S. Dept of health web page...

Water purification

There are two primary ways to treat water: boiling and adding bleach. If tap water is unsafe because of water contamination (from floods, streams or lakes), boiling is the best method.

Cloudy water should be filtered before boiling or adding bleach.

Filter water using coffee filters, paper towels, cheese cloth or a cotton plug in a funnel.

Boiling:

Boiling is the safest way to purify water. Bring the water to a rolling boil for one minute. Let the water cool before drinking.

Purifying by adding liquid chlorine bleach:

If boiling is not possible, treat water by adding liquid household bleach, such as Clorox or Purex. Household bleach is typically between 5 percent and 6 percent chlorine. Avoid using bleaches that contain perfumes, dyes and other additives. Be sure to read the label.

Place the water (filtered, if necessary) in a clean container. Add the amount of bleach according to the table below.

Mix thoroughly and allow to stand for at least 30 minutes before using (60 minutes if the water is cloudy or very cold).

Treating Water with a 5-6 Percent Liquid Chlorine Bleach Solution:

Volume of Water to be Treated:

1 quart/1 liter - 3 drops

1/2 gallon/2 quarts/2 liters - 5 drops

1 gallon - 1/8 teaspoon

5 gallons - 1/2 teaspoon

10 gallons - 1 teaspoon

We usually drink use the 6 liter bottles from Tesco, Singha, Nestle, or Minere. They seem to be non-existent these days but I found several Thai shops in my neighborhood this morning that still had lots of the 1.5 liter bottles.

If it comes to it, I got this from a U.S. Dept of health web page...

Water purification

There are two primary ways to treat water: boiling and adding bleach. If tap water is unsafe because of water contamination (from floods, streams or lakes), boiling is the best method.

Cloudy water should be filtered before boiling or adding bleach.

Filter water using coffee filters, paper towels, cheese cloth or a cotton plug in a funnel.

Boiling:

Boiling is the safest way to purify water. Bring the water to a rolling boil for one minute. Let the water cool before drinking.

Purifying by adding liquid chlorine bleach:

If boiling is not possible, treat water by adding liquid household bleach, such as Clorox or Purex. Household bleach is typically between 5 percent and 6 percent chlorine. Avoid using bleaches that contain perfumes, dyes and other additives. Be sure to read the label.

Place the water (filtered, if necessary) in a clean container. Add the amount of bleach according to the table below.

Mix thoroughly and allow to stand for at least 30 minutes before using (60 minutes if the water is cloudy or very cold).

Treating Water with a 5-6 Percent Liquid Chlorine Bleach Solution:

Volume of Water to be Treated:

1 quart/1 liter - 3 drops

1/2 gallon/2 quarts/2 liters - 5 drops

1 gallon - 1/8 teaspoon

5 gallons - 1/2 teaspoon

10 gallons - 1 teaspoon

Many thanks for the info, very useful to know in times of emergencies.

It seems that almost all shops etc are now limiting the amount of water that each customer can buy. I hope that this helps the poorer people who cannot stock up on supplies because of lack of money. Seems that some of the shopkeepers are getting greedy already and upping the price of water.

One of the great innovations of Japanese manufacturing is the "just In time" model for supply chain logistics. Generally there is only 3 days slack in the system, which works fine for producing cars, but comes unstuck when applied to essential resources such as food and water. Hold that thought while you contemplate that the Earth is undergoing some energetic changes which have dramatically increased the number of "catastrophic" events. Next consider the Sun's activity and the expectation that anytime soon a Coronal Mass Ejection is likely to disrupt electrical supplies. Next, look at .. well you get the idea - the old models of consumerism needs to change. Frankly, anyone who has not taken time out to list all the key items they would need to survive comfortably if faced with a disruption of supplies is doomed to be caught out sometime soon.

Once you have the list of things that you require to survive - minimum 3 days, better 3 weeks - make sure you either have them on hand or know how to substitute. Did you just put water on your list? Good, now spend some time planning how you would cope in an emergency - either storing water or learning various techniques for purifying water. Learn about colloidal silver, hydrogen peroxide, chlorine, solar distillation, rain water harvesting, charcoal filters, and so on. Then move on to food, energy, lighting, shelter, medicine, and all you might need in an emergency. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Do it today.

Good advice Shokdee...

About the water and supplies, I guess as far as Hua Hin is concerned, everything can be brought up from the south of Thailand through Malaysia so we shouldn't suffer too much I guess even if Bangkok is affected. I think if people in HH didn't go out and panic buy there'd be loads left in the 7-11's. I personally have about 2 bottles of water left and didn't rush out and buy more (even though I've seen some Thais the other day unloading about 20x4 boxes of 1L water to stock up!

I've a water refill outside my place, I guess I'll just use that unless it's already been emptied, but I wonder how that gets refilled as in 1.5 years I've never seen a truck come and top it up - could it be connected to a water pipe and in that case I guess it has to have all the filters and stuff in place? I assume a van comes and fills it up when I'm asleep... LOL

Around Soi 94 and Soi 88 there are several places that have water - not the 7/11s or the like but the small Mom and Pop stores. The further you go up Soi 88 the more water is available the shop on the left a bit before Naab Thong restaurant has a massive stack of water

I get mine from a water machine outside the apartments.

But beer has water in it, right....I'm sure it's possible to live for a few weeks on beer alone...that's my backup plan. I am surprised water is in short supply here.

God this guy sounds really hard, drinking beer for three weeks.

Surprised water is in short supply? No delivery's from Bangkok because of the floods and he's surprised, Perhaps the beer has affected what little brain cells he has. :angry:

One more item to add to your list of survival/emergency supplies - CASH.

HSBC was today hit by a nationwide WORLDWIDE systems crash thought to have affected millions of customers. The bank's cash machines, branches, debit cards, and internet banking services all stopped working at 2.45pm after a computer glitch. The outage lasted more than two hours, with frantic HSBC staff finally finding a fix at 4.50pm.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2057657/HSBC-customers-outraged-online-banking-ATMs-debit-cards-blocked.html

Folks, these kind of disruptions are only going to get more and more common. Please take a few moments while sipping your cold beers to plan for emergencies.

Edited by Shokdee

One more item to add to your list of survival/emergency supplies - CASH.

HSBC was today hit by a nationwide WORLDWIDE systems crash thought to have affected millions of customers. The bank's cash machines, branches, debit cards, and internet banking services all stopped working at 2.45pm after a computer glitch. The outage lasted more than two hours, with frantic HSBC staff finally finding a fix at 4.50pm.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2057657/HSBC-customers-outraged-online-banking-ATMs-debit-cards-blocked.html

Folks, these kind of disruptions are only going to get more and more common. Please take a few moments while sipping your cold beers to plan for emergencies.

What if we do'nt drink, we may not be as hard as "huahin" who drinks beer all the time, what do we do to plan emergnc'ies, does it mean we are doomed, lots of Ladies do'nt drink beer, what do they do while planning for emergenc'ies, tell us please???????? "shokdee" we await your guidance, we are lost without it. :lol:

Edited by BazilFox

:lol:
:lol:
:lol: Please dear reader (sic) pile in and laugh at me all you can, be creative. Then I'll laugh at you and we'll all be smiling and chuckling. At the end, humour is all you have and you should know how to make other people happy. When your partner runs off with your best friend, your best friend is roadkill, which you're eyeing as a meal, the sun no longer shines, acid rain fills your battered can, your house is gone and so is your luck, you've sold your gold tooth to pay for new teeth, and you can barely hear the good doctor's advice; "You're dying fast, your time's almost up", you can turn to the hottest of the hot ghost nurses and wink; "Time enough for me."

tell us please???????? "shokdee" we await your guidance, we are lost without it. :lol:

Yes and apparently "we" is lost with it too :lol:

Hope you find your way home BrazilFox. Try use a compass as using your nose ain't working.

I will get home, I certainly do'nt need your advice,, nor does anyone else. Disruptions more and more common, when will this start, all normal here in Hua Hin, too many beers PAL. :o

What does Basilfox have against people that enjoy a beer on occasion? often making criticising comments.

Anyway this thread seems to have lost its way. There seems to be sufficient water supplies in HH now.

Edited by hinhua

What does Basilfox have against people that enjoy a beer on occasion? often making criticising comments.

Anyway this thread seems to have lost its way. There seems to be sufficient water supplies in HH now.

According to "Shokdee" the shortages will be getting worse. :lol:

"Folks, these kind of disruptions are only going to get more and more common. Please take a few moments while sipping your cold beers to plan for emergencies. "

This post has been edited by Shokdee: 2011-11-05 12:43:34

Cant believe anything this guy says, I agree all is well here, had a weekend where all the Bangkok people came down, few shortages then but that was 3/4 weeks ago. :rolleyes:

There are still shortages of many items due to supply chain disruptions. Many restaurants don't have everything on their menu as they can't get their usual supplies. There are still no 6 liter bottles of water. You can now get the 1.5 liter bottles at Tesco but limited to two 6 packs per visit, so it's not over yet.

We will see the effects of this flood in shortages of some items as well as higher prices because of supply problems for months to come imo.

Peenut, passing a Brazil nut[/font]' ] Frankly my dear, no one can stop me drinking/smoking bud.

Silly me, I thought it was the Thai that got confused with English past and future tense. When I wrote, start to plan and prepare for an emergency now, I do not mean the emergency is now. Rather, you can plan now for an emergency coming later, no?

I know I do, and I've just added "nutcracker" to my emergency supply - handy for any nut job.

hhfarang is also correct, it's real bad down in hh - there is simply no good bread to be had. And if you really want to know what Thai people DO NOT NEED in emergencies, take a walk around inside Tesco.

Edited by Shokdee

Peenut, passing a Brazil nut[/font]' ] Frankly my dear, no one can stop me drinking/smoking bud.

Silly me, I thought it was the Thai that got confused with English past and future tense. When I wrote, start to plan and prepare for an emergency now, I do not mean the emergency is now. Rather, you can plan now for an emergency coming later, no?

I know I do, and I've just added "nutcracker" to my emergency supply - handy for any nut job.

hhfarang is also correct, it's real bad down in hh - there is simply no good bread to be had. And if you really want to know what Thai people DO NOT NEED in emergencies, take a walk around inside Tesco.

You cannot believe anything this guy say's, when the Bangkok people "Thai" came down to Hua Hin there was a panic for water for 1 day. "Shokdee" then stated it would get worse, its has not. :annoyed:

Yes you go to Tesco and there are shotage's due to supply from Bangkok, but its not across the whole supply just a few product's which leave some shelve's empty. No reason to panic, "7/11" seem to be well stocked as does "G Supermarket's". B)

Hua Hin is OK. :jap:

Edited by BazilFox