1 Year Thai Licence

JimmyGreaves

I think I have everything to get myself a 1 year licence except proof of house rental. The landlord is from Germany and at the moment is in Germany with his thai wife for 8 months (house in her name). I have got two monthly receipts for rental in english but no rent book, I pay the next door neighbour at the moment. We are in Hua-hin (Thai gf & me). Any ideas before I go to apply and explain the situation.

Not sure if I can say we are living with her brother in Bangkok who owns his place so can get some documentation but prefer not to go down the bullshit road.

Cheers

Go to the Brit. embassy, you fill a form (from the bin labeled 'driving licence'), pay a rediculously large sum and they send you a letter stating where you live. NO PROOF REQUIRED.

Get it translated, QED.

Ball park figure on this 'Ridiculously Large Sum'

and

Is this the only way out?

IIRC it was about 1500 Baht, been asleep since then :o You can get a letter from immigration (cheaper) but I'm not sure what you need paperwork wise, I think you need your landlords stuff. Anyone enlighten us??

I think I have everything to get myself a 1 year licence except proof of house rental. The landlord is from Germany and at the moment is in Germany with his thai wife for 8 months (house in her name). I have got two monthly receipts for rental in english but no rent book, I pay the next door neighbour at the moment. We are in Hua-hin (Thai gf & me). Any ideas before I go to apply and explain the situation.

Not sure if I can say we are living with her brother in Bangkok who owns his place so can get some documentation but prefer not to go down the bullshit road.

Cheers

you could give this a try...

download the TM30 form (2 parts) from here:

http://www.imm.police.go.th/nov2004/en/bas...p?page=download

get the next door neighbour to sign the form as "housemaster", he is Thai right?good if he is....

Take the form to the police, they will give you the tear off slip at the bottom and then you take this to the immigration dept and they will give you a free letter that specifically instructs the driver licencing deptment to allow you to apply for your temp DL.

* the Embassies charge about 2000 Baht for their version of this.

Hope this helps.....this is what i had to do in Khon Kaen to get my temp DL.

Cheers

Crossy gives pretty good advice. Since you are in BKK going to your consulate and filling out that form is the fastest way to get 'proof' of where you live.

Edited by corkscrew

Cheers

Crossy gives pretty good advice. Since you are in BKK going to your consulate and filling out that form is the fastest way to get 'proof' of where you live.

Sorry, I misread your message...thought you were in BKK. The trip from Hua Hin and back might be a drag.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone done the letter from immigration at Bangkok and used it at Mo chit? The slips that the information people give you at the Driving Licence Office 'Mo Chit' in Bangkok states proof of residence = "work permit or Letter from the embassy"

Don't want to spend time, money and effort at immigration bangkok if Mo Chit refuse immigrations document.

Cheers

Why not just get a letter at the UK embassy? It's a no brainer and not that expensive. I just registered my truck at Mo Chit with embassy letter (US) and got my drivers license with one a month ago. It would have been a good idea in my case to get two letters at once since they charge 400 baht less for the second one if you get it at the same time. Actually I needed 3 letters, another for the motorcycle license. $90 to the US embassy just for 3 letters of residence - they ought to serve me a glass of wine when I show up over there next time.

Edited by jing jing

Jing Jing. If you read the thread you can see that the embassy letter works out at 1750 baht about 25 quid or 43 US of A dollars. Seeing that the licence only costs 105 baht or so I reckon that the embassy are ripping people off. It's the principal, I can easily pay but if it can easily be done cheaper then why give the money to the embassy?

Still waiting to see if anyone has used a document from immigration as proof of residence and had it accepted at Mo Chit.

Thanks

Jing Jing. If you read the thread you can see that the embassy letter works out at 1750 baht about 25 quid or 43 US of A dollars. Seeing that the licence only costs 105 baht or so I reckon that the embassy are ripping people off. It's the principal, I can easily pay but if it can easily be done cheaper then why give the money to the embassy?

Still waiting to see if anyone has used a document from immigration as proof of residence and had it accepted at Mo Chit.

Thanks

I have not done it at Mo Chit so it will not help you but up country (uttaradit) they even fisrt stried to have me have my IDL translated into Thai so an Embassy letter (in english) would have been more trouble than the immigration letter (in Thai) which I got free (from Nan immigration)

DL office seemed very 'Thai' and I would imagine that a document in Thai by Thai authorities would have more leverage than one from a foreign country's embassy.

Just a thought but TIT and every place have got their local rules....

When I got my residence letter from the US Embassy, all I needed was my passport which shows my Non-O visa. I simply filled in the address and they typed up the letter. This cost 1,500 baht in 2002.

For the driver's license, it was no problem at this place we went to on the edge of Bangkok. My current Florida DL and a quick color blind test were all that was needed. Just make sure to take your Thai girlfriend with you so she can do the necessary translation. If you have a current DL from your home country you shouldn't even need to do a driving test or written test for that matter. Once you've had this license for a year you can reapply and get the five year license; you only need the residency letter once. After that, the old license will do. :o

When I got my residence letter from the US Embassy, all I needed was my passport which shows my Non-O visa. I simply filled in the address and they typed up the letter. This cost 1,500 baht in 2002.

For the driver's license, it was no problem at this place we went to on the edge of Bangkok. My current Florida DL and a quick color blind test were all that was needed. Just make sure to take your Thai girlfriend with you so she can do the necessary translation. If you have a current DL from your home country you shouldn't even need to do a driving test or written test for that matter. Once you've had this license for a year you can reapply and get the five year license; you only need the residency letter once. After that, the old license will do. :D

I would have problems to follow this advise, to take my Thai girl friend, my wife would strongly object to. :o

Generally, the transport offices want to see an international driving permit together with your local licence. I was advised, however, myself years ago, either US, UK-licence or IDP.

Plus health cert, 2 pics and residence letter.

As for the letter of current residence I only used my (German) embassy, as being very fast. You just write down the address-details in handwriting, they type it up and seal it, finished. One must bear in mind, however, any wrong information given, could lead to problems, as you give an official statement to be true and correct.

Fee: I forgot but expensive. OK, not paying taxes at home, I cannot say, they live from my taxes.

The address-details are shown in your Thai-licence and, of course, the police expect to find you there in case of any problems.

Good luck. If you do not speak Thai you find a desk at the entrance of each transport office. Show them your documents, they fill in the form clip every thing together and might expect Baht 20 or just smile. (You too)

As for the pictures. Watch for the proper size or you will be send away to have new one made (in the building)

How about change of address on a 1 year? Do you go through the whole process again and get a new letter from the embassy etc.

I am in Hua Hin at the moment in rented, possibly only for six months. Then will be moving on also in Hua Hin. That's why I decided to do my gf family address in Bangkok.

Edited by jflundy