Divorce Certificate

pokoal2000

Hi

I was told by British Embassy that I need an original certified divorce certificate to obtain an affirmation of freedom to marry. Court in England can only send me a copy and it is not certified? How do you get an original or would Embassy be happy with that?

Alex

The copy should be enough, but this you have to certify by the embassy as a real government document, translated into Thai and than have it legalised by the Thai Ministry of Fooreign Affairs. You hand it in at the amphur where you get married, together with the affirmation letter.

Check with the embassy to be sure if they can certify the court copy and which requirements they have for that.

The copy should be enough, but this you have to certify by the embassy as a real government document, translated into Thai and than have it legalised by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. You hand it in at the amphur where you get married, together with the affirmation letter.

Check with the embassy to be sure if they can certify the court copy and which requirements they have for that.

I would say that this is not altogether true. It is not necessary to have the divorce certificate translated into Thai as it is for the sole use of the British Embassy prior to receiving a "stamped" and signed Affirmataion of Freedom to Marry from the Consular Section. Also, this divorce certificate will not be "legalised by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs". Lastly, it goes nowhere near the District Office (Amphur).

The divorce certificate is required by the British Embassy only as part of the affirmation process. Yes, the completed affirmation must be translated into Thai and notarised by a translation agency. The translation agency will usually submit the required documents (but not the divorce certificate) to the MoFA. Note that the British Embassy will not prepare any translations for you.

Thank you.

It is my understanding that you need to submit the divorce papers as well at the amphur, same as a Thai person would need to submit the divorce papers. Although normally you only submit the embassy letter, whcih has all the details needed to register the marriage. SoI could be wrong, but the embassy will know best.

It is my understanding that you need to submit the divorce papers as well at the amphur, same as a Thai person would need to submit the divorce papers. Although normally you only submit the embassy letter, whcih has all the details needed to register the marriage. SoI could be wrong, but the embassy will know best.

I married a Thai national (in Bangkok)11 years ago, a friend from the UK married a Thai 4 years ago and an Australian friend married here 6 months ago......... each time, the document protocol was as how I described it and not how you understand it to be.

Thank you.