Submukda Grand Hotel In Mukdahan

Stekmer

I've read good reports on the submukda grand hotel in Mukdahan but can't find any contact details to book it.

With the flooding I've decided to fly from Bangkok (Nov 25th) for 2 nights in Ubon Ratchathani and onto Khon Chiam for 2 nights before busing it to Mukdahan for 2 nights and on to Nakhon Thanom and That Thanom - flying back to BKK from Udon Thani.

Any general tips or recommendations would be great.

I'm hoping that by late November the flooding issues will be better or at least the situation clearer.

Thanks in advance

Thanks MeMock,

Good hotel review and nice photos.

It looks clean and spacious - pity about the hot water and WiFi. For the price and location though ..... might be worth a go?

Would you stay there again or did something else take your fancy?

Thanks again for the reply :-)

Thanks MeMock,

It looks clean and spacious - pity about the hot water and WiFi. For the price and location though ..... might be worth a go?

Stekmer,

I stayed there about 2 weeks ago, on my second stay. This time round the people at reception were a little cold and did not speak much English at all. I tied to arrange a Tuk Tuk for early morning (5.0am) to take me to the bus station but I went outside and did it myself. Muk Muk is "dead" early morning and if you want to get to the bus station you had better plan the day before.

Otherwise hotel is much the same, clean,safe, 500 Baht a night, no restaurant, no in room coffee or tea, no toilet paper, (ask reception) bed sheets had a few holes in them, but clean.

OK for one night only.

Cheers

B

Thanks Squigy

I was planing on a couple of nights so might try somewhere else.

Where would you stay if you went back to Mukdahan?

What is the bus station like?

I was hoping to get a local bus to That Thanom - early'ish but not quite as early as your 0500 hrs start to the day - perhaps more like 0730 ish.

Can you recall how frequent the bus services are?

Thanks again for the reply - very helpful

Edited by Stekmer

Thanks Squigy

I was planing on a couple of nights so might try somewhere else.

Where would you stay if you went back to Mukdahan?

What is the bus station like?

I was hoping to get a local bus to That Thanom - early'ish but not quite as early as your 0500 hrs start to the day - perhaps more like 0730 ish.

Can you recall how frequent the bus services are?

Thanks again for the reply - very helpful

A couple of nights would be ok, as this place is central and cheap. Any more then I would look elswhere. There are a couple of "good" hotels in town but I have never stayed at them. Best to have a look around when you arrive. Most are in town and around the "Lookout" and Indo China Market.

I would stay in the Submukdahan again for a night as I do my visa runs to Savannakhet and only stay the night and catch the early bus in the morning. BTW if you are heading for Laos take the International bus from the bus station. About 45 Baht to Savannakhet. Cheap,slow but worth it and back to Muk Muk on teh return journey.

The bus station is like most Thai bus stations, nothing exceptional. Town to bus station in Tuk Tuk is 30 Baht one way. Actually you can walk to it but in the heat it would be better to get a Tuk Tuk. They have a Internet cafe and coffee shop at the bus station which is worth it. Good coffee. Opens about 6.00am to 6.30am. You can wait in there (air con) for your bus.

Bus services to most popular destinations are frequent. I was heading to Khemarat and they only have 3 buses a day. 80 Baht. Around 7.30am the place will be humming.

Good traveling.

B

Thanks Squigy and Celticbhoy - very helpful

Looking forward to my time in Mukdahanand points inbetween Nakhon Thanon and Ubon Ratchathani - even the bus rides.

I might give Submukda Grand Hotel a go then - as long as the AC works and their is WiFi is adequate. I have also read that there is only 1 powerpoint in the rooms - double adaptor needed.

Thanks MeMock,

Your welcome stekmer.

I doubt I would stay in this place again.The fact that the wifi has obviously not been working for many months yet they keep on handing out the password at the front desk says a lot about the place. Although the fact that my bed was in the shape of a staircase may have just been a one off for my room I am not willing to run the risl that they are all like that! Excellent location though.

Thanks MeMock,

The best but not the cheapest place to stay in Muk is the Mukdahan Manor, right on the river. it also has the only western food restaurant in Muk which recently won the 2011 Best Restaurant Award. Check it out.