E-dict Neptune Dictionary, Is It Any Good

JustAnotherFarang

Hi there

My students want to buy an electronic dictionary (english to thai) and have been offered a promotion for the E-Dict Neptune for 1,990 bht, the original rrp (apparently) was 3,450 bht.

I cannot find any info on the internet about this promotion although I do know it is not a "talking dic" so I am hoping that someone can offer an opinion as to whether this is value for money or that there might be something a whole lot better for not much more money

Thanks for your time and advice

JAF

Hi there

My students want to buy an electronic dictionary (english to thai) and have been offered a promotion for the E-Dict Neptune for 1,990 bht, the original rrp (apparently) was 3,450 bht.

I cannot find any info on the internet about this promotion although I do know it is not a "talking dic" so I am hoping that someone can offer an opinion as to whether this is value for money or that there might be something a whole lot better for not much more money

Thanks for your time and advice

JAF

If you think that in the future your students will learn enough English that they will need to look up English words in an English dictionary to read their definitions in English.....just like educated native English speakers do....then learning to look things up by hand in a dictionary is a useful skill which they will not learn if they use an e-dictionary......of course maybe they will have access to an all English e-dictionary in the future so they will never need to look things up by hand.....perhaps looking things up by hand in a book is an outdated skill....I don't know....

When using and index in a text book you need to look things up using alphabetical order.....perhaps this is an outdated approach to learning....perhaps all text books are now e-books so you can just search for the word instead of looking it up in the index....I don't know.....

When looking up a phone number in a book you need........I don't know.....

If alphabetical order is unimportant then for sure an e-dictionary is the way to go....but........