Bangkok Flood To Peak Over The Weekend

webfact

Bangkok flood to peak over the weekend

The Nation

30168740-01.jpg

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra on Friday instructed 13 districts located along the banks of Chao Phraya River to closely monitor the water situation and brace for emergency evacuation.

Sukkumbhand said based on Friday's hydrology forecast, the Chao Phraya wil likely rise to more than 2.50 meters, triggering overflow in several areas.

High tides will exacerbate the water level from Saturday to Monday.

Yesterday saw the Chao Phraya River peaked at 2.42 meters.

The city administration has been implementing the emergency evacuation order covering four districts, Don Mueang, Sai Mai, Bang Phlat and Thawee Wattana, particularly Thammasop area.

The inundation in Sai Mai rose additional 15 centimeters in the last 24 hours. The floodwater in Thawee Wattana rose additional 16 centimeters.

Thawee Wattana's flood defence is weakest at two major canals, Mawawat and Thawee Wattana, where there is no permanent levee to deter the water flow.

In Bang Phlat, the inundation varies from one meter to 70 centimeters.

Due to rising inundation, services, including relief operations, at Dom Mueang district office has been relocated to Lak Si district office.

The Navy's Hydrology Department issued a daily forecast saying the Chao Phraya River will swell to 2.57 meters at 2.57 meters at 8.03 am on Friday and at 2.44 meters at 5.52 pm.

The river's water level will vary from 2.60 to 2.65 meters from Saturday to Monday.

Transport Minister Sukumpol Suwannatat said the government is expected Friday's afternoon to finalise its decision whether to demolish certain sections of five main roads in eastern Bangkok in order to speed up the drainage into the sea via Samut Prakan.

In northern Bangkok, flood continues to spread via Phaholyothin and Vibhavadi-Rangsit roads. At certain areas, the inundation rose to 1.2 meters.

The overflowing from Hok Wa Canal in Sai Mai has started to inundate Soi Watcharaphol.

The water head is seeping toward Chaeng Wattana Road but has not reached it.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-28

Who was it that said the flood height would peak at the last peak high tide two weeks ago? What guarantee is there that the water will stablise / decrease after this weekend? Still seems there is a LOT of water still to drain to the sea..

I will believe these clods in about 6 weeks when water has passed. At least one of their predictions has to come true through sheer numbers.

Here is my prediction. Someone in power is gonna make a truck load of money on the clean up

Would like to know where is that first pic taken? Bus #2, must be Sukhumvit Rd., with the skytrain line up above? Is this right around On Nut, or further out / in? The only identifiable building in the back says "Leaders", of which I don't know.

How is the Sukhumvit area doing at this time? Are the sois flooded? How high is the water level? Any chance that any of the bars are still running?

Sukhumvit is dry in the lower sois.

The bars will power on I am sure.

Everyone in the hotels here are packing up sand bags and erecting walls as if 2 meter high walls of water are coming though.

Would like to know where is that first pic taken? Bus #2, must be Sukhumvit Rd., with the skytrain line up above? Is this right around On Nut, or further out / in? The only identifiable building in the back says "Leaders", of which I don't know.

That's not the sky train line.

Its the expressway.

Not Sukhumvit

Hi, was after some help. I am in Brisbane and my partner left Bangkok yesterday and is in just outside Khorat at the moment.

For the past few days I have been having issues calling her on her mobile, sometime's I get through and other times I cannot get a connection.

Has anyone had the same issues or know's of any issues with the telecommunications system within Thailand at the moment, due to the floods.

I hope to be in Bangkok in the next two week's.

You might think that out of all of this a real leader for the Thai people would emerge - the PM herself, a cabinet minister, a mayor, a governor perhaps - someone, anyone - but I don't think it is going to happen.

As we speak they are putting the finishing touches on tights and a cape for Thaksin.

For the past few days I have been having issues calling her on her mobile, sometime's I get through and other times I cannot get a connection.

Has anyone had the same issues or know's of any issues with the telecommunications system within Thailand at the moment, due to the floods.

Issues while calling is probably normal. During the exceptional times, people tend to call more to their loved ones. This could cause capacity problems with the telecommunication networks or under some base stations which is serving increased number of subscribers .

For better connectivity, you could ask them to get another SIM card from another provider and try if that works better.

That's not the sky train line.

Its the expressway.

Not Sukhumvit

?

And the motor bike is cattle trucked?

Just look at the expressions of the women on the bus. What are they thinking? Answers on a postcard please. :lol:

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

How is the Sukhumvit area doing at this time? Are the sois flooded? How high is the water level? Any chance that any of the bars are still running?

As of 1 PM, Sukhumvit and Asoke are dry as a bone.  Fair bit of traffic too.

The bars in Soi Cowboy will be open until the water starts pouring in, no holidays there.

Hi, was after some help. I am in Brisbane and my partner left Bangkok yesterday and is in just outside Khorat at the moment.

"For the past few days I have been having issues calling her on her mobile, sometime's I get through and other times I cannot get a connection"

I used to have the same problem with my "ex". Her phone would mysteriously develop problems everytime I went back to oz :whistling:

What sort of message are you getting when you call and cant connect, maybe her phone is simply turned off

You might think that out of all of this a real leader for the Thai people would emerge - the PM herself, a cabinet minister, a mayor, a governor perhaps - someone, anyone - but I don't think it is going to happen.

Hm, and I thought there already was a "true leader of the Thai people". He's currently sitting bone dry in Dubai.

I just had a problem today. I'm using AIS and a few times today when I tried to call out it woulden't connect. Just went to one of those fast busy signals. I thought maybe it was the number I dialed so I tried other numbers and it was the same. It took about 10 tries and then it worked. I just tried now and it's working fine.

Why can't someone in Government or a reliable spokesperson just communicate the situation:

1. Flooding in......................................
  2. Water is proceeding to................................
  3. If......................happens, then ..........................will happen
  4. Your district is expected to flood to ...................meters because your land elevation is.................. and the water level will be............................

If this info is out there, then I apologise, but it would help for people in monitoring the situation and preperation

Edited by arunah

As we speak they are putting the finishing touches on tights and a cape for Thaksin.

Is he going to change in one of those flooded phone booths? :rolleyes:

Is he going to change in one of those flooded phone booths? :rolleyes:

Only if they have matching Burberry waterproof boots.

I will believe these clods in about 6 weeks when water has passed. At least one of their predictions has to come true through sheer numbers.

Here is my prediction. Someone in power is gonna make a truck load of money on the clean up

The surname will begin with Sh....

Issues while calling is probably normal. During the exceptional times, people tend to call more to their loved ones. This could cause capacity problems with the telecommunication networks or under some base stations which is serving increased number of subscribers .

For better connectivity, you could ask them to get another SIM card from another provider and try if that works better.

How can he do that if he can't reach her by phone? :rolleyes:

<br />How is the Sukhumvit area doing at this time? Are the sois flooded? How high is the water level? Any chance that any of the bars are still running?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

There is no flooding in Sukhumvit and there almost certainly won't be. Don't believe the tripe from the media and those making the flood predictions who believe in fortune tellers. For those thast doubt me don't bother replying until Sukhumvit is under water.

Hope Sukhumvit does not get flooded but I would not be too confident to say it wont , I have personally seen Sukhumvit many feet deep under water all the way down to Ploenchit.

Remember Klong Toei and The Sang Saeb Klong are not far from Sukhumvit and water spill from Either of these areas of ever 30cm will spread out a long way

I wish all a good dry feet weekend

Perhaps we'll soon see the cavalry riding to the rescue in the form of a 'Knight in SHINing armour' on an Arab stallion borrowed from the ruler of Dubai. :huh: