Thousands Of Flood-Hit Thais To Work In Japan

webfact

Thousands of flood-hit Thais to work in Japan

TOKYO, October 28, 2011 (AFP) - Tokyo is to allow thousands of Thai workers employed by flood-hit Japanese firms to come to Japan and work, a government spokesman said Friday.

Dozens of Japanese companies in Thailand have halted production as rising flood waters have crippled factories or squeezed supply chains following months of heavy rain.

The effect on production, which has affected giants such as Toyota and Honda, is worrying Japanese policy makers, already fretting over an economy stumbling to recover from March's earthquake and tsunami and a punishingly high yen.

"Japan will accept Thai workers employed by Japanese firms who have stopped operation due to the flood to work in Japan on certain conditions such as that the companies will ensure they return home," Chief Cabinet Secretary Osamu Fujimura said.

The Thai workers will be permitted to stay in Japan for six months as "an emergency and temporary measure" that likely involves about 30 companies and several thousand Thai workers, Fujimura told a news conference.

The decision came after requests from Japanese firms who are looking to make up lost production in Thailand by boosting output at home, Fujimura said.

"The damage from the flood, through its impact on supply chains, is creating a serious impact on not only the Japanese economy but also the economic activity of all ASEAN members," Fujimura said, referring to the 10-member Southeast Asian trading bloc.

The three-month flood crisis -- partly caused by unusually heavy monsoon rains -- has left at least 377 people dead and damaged millions of homes and livelihoods, mostly in northern and central Thailand.

Areas in northern Bangkok have seen waist-deep flooding, leading to the shutdown of the city's second airport, Don Mueang.

Thousands of residents have left the capital after the government asked employers to give their staff a special five-day holiday.

Thailand is a hub for Japanese manufacturers using relatively cheap labour to assemble products aimed at markets such as China and India.

Japan's trade and industry ministry said Tuesday it would expand loan guarantees and trade insurance programmes to help Japanese firms deal with the impact of production problems.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-28

Japan's trade and industry ministry said Tuesday it would expand loan guarantees and trade insurance programmes to help Japanese firms deal with the impact of production problems.

Any chance that poor old Mr, and Mr. Somchai will get the same deal from the Thai government so as to be able to rebuild their lives ?

interesting and innovative proposal from the Japanese government, if anyone sees links to more information on this / details, or news of the companies who are implementing it, please do share.

looks like they have given up on Thai government to doanything that can help recovery from this disaster, so they have to do whatthey can within their own means, including helping Thai worker

Shame on you PM

What a great opportunity for some Thai people that would otherwise not have the cash to travel to Japan. I really hope it works out for them and wish them the best of luck and warm clothes, it's starting to get a bit cold over there already! If they're lucky they might be there for Sakura.

interesting and innovative proposal from the Japanese government, if anyone sees links to more information on this / details, or news of the companies who are implementing it, please do share.

looks like they have given up on Thai government to doanything that can help recovery from this disaster, so they have to do whatthey can within their own means, including helping Thai worker

Shame on you PM

This is not political. Well, it is Japanese politics. The Japanese govt is apparently clearing out immigration red-tape so that the Japanese companies can have enough workers to temporarily increase production in Japan. It is not about helping the Thai worker, it is about helping Japanese companies move the Thai worker to a location that is useful for the Japanese company. B)

Now it will be interesting to see what the conditions are, how it is implemented, which companies take advantage of this, etc.

Shame on you PM

Any chance for another cheap political shot at the PM!

No! shame on you!

Thai son-in-law has been asked to present in Bangers to go Japan with his Company.

Will try to find out conditions offered and post.

excellent - good for him - btw, when you do, could you please share which industry he works in, Automotive, tech, ...

Shame on you PM

Any chance for another cheap political shot at the PM!

No! shame on you!

.Shame on you and on you too..huhuhu...( A new Thai song?) sad.gif

Edited by sirchai

Thai son-in-law has been asked to present in Bangers to go Japan with his Company.

Good to hear that. At least some people are doing something.....jap.gif

Edited by sirchai

I suspect that they will be housed in some type of dormitory situation with a cafeteria.

If any of your friends/relatives are coming to Japan under this plan, please tell them to stock up on whatever spices they are accustomed. The prices of most types of spices/sauces will give the workers cardiac failure when they see them. Example - That little plastic bottle of Sri Racha Sauce, colored red (I don't know the name) costs about 150 baht here.

They need to ask for cold weather gear BEFORE they arrive as it can get butt cold here. With the extremely low humidity they should also pack body lotion as it is no fun to have itchy skin due do the dryness of the air.

There is a factory in Hokkaido, beautiful area with lots and lots of snow. Hint, hint... get the cold weather gear.

excellent - good for him - btw, when you do, could you please share which industry he works in, Automotive, tech, ...

TOSTEM (通世泰) Your supplier for: vestibule doors, sliding doors, door windows, windows, rolling doors, home building supplies and ...

This is the company, evidentally they were flat strap supplying goods for the rebuilding going on in Japan.

More when info comes to hand.

TOSTEM (通世泰) Your supplier for: vestibule doors, sliding doors, door windows, windows, rolling doors, home building supplies and ...

This is the company, evidentally they were flat strap supplying goods for the rebuilding going on in Japan.

More when info comes to hand.

Hey, really interesting. That wasn't the first industry that came to mind !

Will they get the same pay as their Japanese counterparts, if not I hope Japanese unions bring this to a halt.

The multinational companies are not motivated by altruism

I doubt they will get the same pay as their Japanese counterparts but at least they get an opportunity to experience something new and continue to earn an income to support their families and help rebuild their homes back in Thailand. Maybe when the union guys see how hard they work for the little pay they receive the unions will wake up and no longer demand unreasonably high wages and benefits for their own workers..... OK, I admit that will never happen, but one can hope.

What a great opportunity for some Thai people that would otherwise not have the cash to travel to Japan. I really hope it works out for them and wish them the best of luck and warm clothes, it's starting to get a bit cold over there already! If they're lucky they might be there for Sakura.

It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good.

Will they get the same pay as their Japanese counterparts, if not I hope Japanese unions bring this to a halt.

The multinational companies are not motivated by altruism

Very true, and even more complex because the multinational companies ultimately are controlled by the likes of the giant vampire squid Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan Chase, and not too many other megabanks.

This article has a very interesting relational graph that shows just how intertwined things are...

The article's title is:

GRAPH: 147 Companies Control 40 Percent Of Global Transnational Corporate Wealth

"http://thinkprogress.org/special/2011/10/21/350172/graph-147-companies-control-40-percent-of-global-transnational-corporate-wealth/

"The top 20 firms identified in the study tended to be financial organizations, including Barclays Bank, JPMorgan Chase & Co, and The Goldman Sachs Group."

Corporations today have no conscience, even altruistic or philanthropic actions are often without heart, rather they are simple power plays with pay-offs.

I suppose the only good thing is that corporations can move as they have done from Hong Kong and Taiwan to mainland China, then to Thailand then to ..... soon countries with teaming masses of cheap labor will no longer exist, the good news in when that happens jobs may well come back to America and Euro countries. In 30 years global manufacturing per hour wages will become relatively flat. When I worked at GM (General Motors) I saw the United Auto Worker's wages union) who swept and cleaned my office change. In 2007 he earned $33/hour plus benefits worth $60/hour. In 2010 a new UAW worker now hired received about $14.50 plus mediocre benefits. I read that in Malaysia strikers at one mine were striking for $14.50US equivalent per hour, they are unlikely to get it just yet but I call that "flattening of wages."

Still for the thousands who can do this, it is likely to be helpful for them and bravo to Japan for cutting through red tape--I do not think the reverse could ever happen.

One commenter is not too thrilled about the Thai workers' future work life in Japan.

NuckinFutzOCT. 29, 2011 - 07:59AM JST

"Just wait until they see their first paycheck in Japan! Deductions for 1. Airline ticket to Japan (at JALs highest fare of course!) 2. Company Meals 3. Housing 4. Medical Coverage 5. Japanese income taxes 6. Misc employer fees! And don't forget ... absolutely no worker rights whatsoever! Good luck!"

My link