Tourist Visa Expiring, But Stuck In Flood, What To Do?

The visa has an issue and an enter before date on it at issue - those are the only dates that matter for use. On entry you receive a 90 day permitted to stay (except for the O-A special category).

Case in point immigration did not care about the one year clock starting at the ENTRY date. They based the validity duration on the issue date. This is why I requested and got an email from thai embassy abroad to clarify this.

And as I said that is nonsense as there is no such clock for anything but 90 day entry that starts when you arrive. The visa is valid for one year from date of issue as it reads on the visa. And I would appreciate knowing what "Embassy" told you otherwise if you can recall.

(and your exact question/response if you can recall - trying to see if they were reading wrong - thanks)

I'm in the same exact situation as the starter of the thread.

I live in Pathum Thani... (I work in Samkhok which is obviously closed) I've been under water here for a couple weeks, having to take a rowboat to the local Tesco for supplies. But the apartment I'm living in has run out of water to sell us.

My fiance and I are going to take a boat to the Tesco and catch two military vehicles and a taxi to Bangkok.

The agency I work for is horrible and lies to me all the time. They haven't helped at all with my documents as far as Non-B and work permits and stuff. I'm working, but only with a Tourist Visa.

My visa runs out November fourth and my fiance (from Laos) has a visa that runs out on the 3rd.

We are doing the only thing we can, and that's getting the heck outta here.

I wouldn't trust Thai immigration to help you at all. Take your situation into your own hands and get outta dodge on your own. It's the only sure way...

Cambodia, here I come! lol

So your having some unspecified problem with some agency that is supposed to be getting you work papers and your working illegally and panicking I don't see what that has to do with someone asking about over staying their visa during the flooding or why your asking someone else to panic. Worse case they have to pay the over stay fine. No big deal..

I'm in the same exact situation as the starter of the thread.

I live in Pathum Thani... (I work in Samkhok which is obviously closed) I've been under water here for a couple weeks, having to take a rowboat to the local Tesco for supplies. But the apartment I'm living in has run out of water to sell us.

My fiance and I are going to take a boat to the Tesco and catch two military vehicles and a taxi to Bangkok.

The agency I work for is horrible and lies to me all the time. They haven't helped at all with my documents as far as Non-B and work permits and stuff. I'm working, but only with a Tourist Visa.

My visa runs out November fourth and my fiance (from Laos) has a visa that runs out on the 3rd.

We are doing the only thing we can, and that's getting the heck outta here.

I wouldn't trust Thai immigration to help you at all. Take your situation into your own hands and get outta dodge on your own. It's the only sure way...

Cambodia, here I come! lol

Sorry, but your post should be under" working in Thailand".Your agency didn't- obviously – do anything regarding being legal, having a Non-B and a work permit.

The fact that your visa expires on the fourth of November shows that your service isn't needed any more. Very sad, because it seems that you're not the only one getting ripped off here. There's no Immigration to blame.

I worked with a guy who had to buy a visa and a work permit to do the job for an agency.

When he tried to contact them to receive his salary, the agency was shut down. Good luck!.................jap.gif

Edited by sirchai

Maybe an acceptable element of proof would be photos whilst the water levels are good and high(?). Get one of you standing waist deep outside your apt. That would mean enlisting a dear friend who doesn't mind getting wet. My genuine sympathies to all Bankokians from an arid Dubai.

Even after the airport closures of 2008 they were still charging overstay at the airport once it was open so doubtful any lenancy will be shown for a few drops of rain...surely there must be a way to get to the airport and fly out and back

Not if you could show that you had a flight out of the country during the time the airport was closed. They wanted proof and if you had it no overstay was charged.

The Immigration offices in Thailand can go any way.

It realy depends on the officer you finally get to speak with..

They are unpredictable. They could even put you

in prison and deport you for this. Money usually helps.

Paying them off.

The visa has an issue and an enter before date on it at issue - those are the only dates that matter for use. On entry you receive a 90 day permitted to stay (except for the O-A special category).

Case in point immigration did not care about the one year clock starting at the ENTRY date. They based the validity duration on the issue date. This is why I requested and got an email from thai embassy abroad to clarify this.

And as I said that is nonsense as there is no such clock for anything but 90 day entry that starts when you arrive. The visa is valid for one year from date of issue as it reads on the visa. And I would appreciate knowing what "Embassy" told you otherwise if you can recall.

(and your exact question/response if you can recall - trying to see if they were reading wrong - thanks)

Los Angeles Embassy as I specifically emailed them regarding this after having an issue with bkk airport immigration.

The visa is valid for one year.

Date of Issue 17 Jan 2008

Enter before 16 Jan 2009

There is no date of expiration on visa but "one year is implied by the very fact that it is a non O mult entry.

Airport immigration did not honor the one year validity. I have had this discussion/debate with friends that worked as consular staff for various embassies. Their interpretation is even if you enter 15 Jan 2009, the validity is still good for one year from 15 Jan 2009.

I recall I first entered Thailand about March 2008. Airport immigration invalidated visa using Enter Before date 16 Jan 2009. They were not interested in my argument that the one year begins at date of entry.

post-55427-0-91310200-1320209787_thumb.j

Enter before 16 Jan 2009

That is your expiration date - you can not use that visa beyond that date for entry into Thailand. It is one year from date of issue. That is the validity of the visa. A non immigrant visa provides only a 90 day entry (but being multi you can get as many as you want during the one year it is valid).

Their interpretation is even if you enter 15 Jan 2009, the validity is still good for one year from 15 Jan 2009.

That interpretation is flat wrong. The normal US tourist visa is 10 years from date of issue but you will not be allowed to stay ten years.

lopburi is correct. The visa was issued on 17 January 2008 and expires 16 January 2009. You can make multiple entries during that time that are vaid for a stay not to exceed 90 days. On the 90th day you must leave Thailand, walk across a border point and back in. They will then give you a stamp that will allow you to stay in Thailand another 90 days. If you entered in March you would get 90 days and have to leave and renten in June, then September, then December. When you reenter in December they will stamp your passport giving you additional 90 days so you would not have to leave until March 2009 even though your visa expired on 16 January 2009. There is your one year, March to March. When you leave in March you would have to get a new visa.

If your initial entry had been later than March you would only get 90 day extensions that would take you past the expiration date of the visa or the must enter before date. If you first entered on 15 Jan 2009 you would get 90 days only because the visa expires on the enter before date of 16 January 2009..

Los Angeles Embassy as I specifically emailed them regarding this after having an issue with bkk airport immigration.

The visa is valid for one year.

Date of Issue 17 Jan 2008

Enter before 16 Jan 2009

There is no date of expiration on visa but "one year is implied by the very fact that it is a non O mult entry.

Airport immigration did not honor the one year validity. I have had this discussion/debate with friends that worked as consular staff for various embassies. Their interpretation is even if you enter 15 Jan 2009, the validity is still good for one year from 15 Jan 2009.

I recall I first entered Thailand about March 2008. Airport immigration invalidated visa using Enter Before date 16 Jan 2009. They were not interested in my argument that the one year begins at date of entry.

Enter before 16 Jan 2009

That is your expiration date - you can not use that visa beyond that date for entry into Thailand. It is one year from date of issue. That is the validity of the visa. A non immigrant visa provides only a 90 day entry (but being multi you can get as many as you want during the one year it is valid).

Why does it not say "valid until" or "expiration date" ? Sample attached is clearly not the same. There is an issue dat and expiration date.

In the case of the Thai non O multiple entry the visa is valid for one year and it seems the "enter before" date affords flexibility in when the holder decides to travel/enter. This is not semantics or quantum mechanics, it is fairly simple interpretation.

So if a person were to enter one day before the "enter before" date on the non O Mult 1 year thai visa, they would get a 90 day stamp, then when they must leave after those 90 days the immigration voids the remaining 9 months.

post-55427-0-89505500-1320228206_thumb.p

The "enter before" date is the expiration date. It is one year from the date the visa was issued therefore it is a one year visa ie: you must enter Thailand within one year from the date that it was issued. If you enter before that date, you are granted a 90 day stay and you must leave. If the date that you must leave is past the enter before date then you can not reenter because the visa is expired. You are past the "enter before" date so you can not reenter on that visa. To put your mind straight, replace the words "enter before date" with "expiration date"and it will look just like the visa in your latest thumbnail!

There is no remaining nine months - the validity is from date of issue. It is not a permission to stay one year.

As usual when stranded, (due to weather or closed airports etc,ect) go with your Thai GF or Wife to the next Police-Station (ANY Police-Station will do) and state your case in a credible way. This with the support of your Thai GF / Wife. Get some stamped and signed and dated paper that confirms, that you can not renew yor visa by way of regular immigration-channels.

The Point: You tried everything to avoid an "overstay-situation". It worked for me in the past. I was 13 days on overstay = not had to pay a single baht for overstay !!

Cheers.

As usual when stranded, (due to weather or closed airports etc,ect) go with your Thai GF or Wife to the next Police-Station (ANY Police-Station will do) and state your case in a credible way. This with the support of your Thai GF / Wife. Get some stamped and signed and dated paper that confirms, that you can not renew yor visa by way of regular immigration-channels.

The Point: You tried everything to avoid an "overstay-situation". It worked for me in the past. I was 13 days on overstay = not had to pay a single baht for overstay !!

Cheers.

Basically the desk cop will write on the report attesting that you are Santa Claus in anticipation of the standard "tip"

I am not joking. The desk cop will also most happily prepare the report if you tell the story in Thai, without the help of the usual "concierge"

Even after the airport closures of 2008 they were still charging overstay at the airport once it was open so doubtful any lenancy will be shown for a few drops of rain...surely there must be a way to get to the airport and fly out and back

Not if you could show that you had a flight out of the country during the time the airport was closed. They wanted proof and if you had it no overstay was charged.

Interesting. However, it should be pointed out that this does not cover all genuine cases. One could planning to fly out without buying a ticket before the airport was closed.