Suvarnabhumi Airport Is Safe From Flooding, Airports Of Thailand Assures

webfact

So I'm struggling to understand what it is they are doing differently at Swampy having had a PR disaster last time. Sounds like they are bullshitting in the same old way a second time around.

I'm no engineer but did anyone else think that a wall of 3.5 metres high and only 37 inches at its base made of soil (the top part of which has settled for all of 15 days) hasn't a cat in hells chance of withstanding a wall of water, should that arise? I hope it never gets tested at any significant depth.

You are not engineer but you should know the difference between "meter","kilometer" and "inch"?

There is interesting and competent article in Wiki about airport,read it.

Neither are you!!

Imperial (mainly used in the USA) and modern day Decimal measurements (based om 10th's), should never be associated in the same report, drawing, calculation, etc!!!!

AOT confirmed that there has been no disruption in service to all flights and passenger services at Suvarnabhumi Airport; The airport expects to welcome this October about 130,000 passengers and 800 flights per day. Suvarnabhumi Airport is also capable of handling the diverted Nok Air and Orient Thai flights from Don Mueang International Airport – only increasing the number of flights by 33 and number of passengers by about 20,000 per day.

Does anyone else find AOT's assurances slightly worrying?

Tried working out the above statistics regarding number of flights versus number of passengers.........20,000 / 33 flights = 606 pasengers per flight!!......130,000 / 800 = 162 passengers per flight!!

Based on the above I would not rely too much on this report.

At 130K arrivals in October, how did TAT come up with 15 million tourists expected this year? Oh, must be they are doing that fuzzy math of counting all the local running around as tourism like they always do.

The report does't mention arrivals, it states" welcomes" , could be arrivals or departures at the aiport. Either way, the figures don't add up!! "two decks of cards"! perhaps????? Here's hoping!!!!:whistling:

Yep - I do know the difference (you have to in Thailand and I am a Brit so we are used to both). But I can't read :rolleyes:. 37m width should be well sufficient!

You should be mindfull reading press notes here,they made it 23.5 meters long,but it is 23.5 kilometers long and you have no objection?they did not use unit "inch" - you did it,they said - 37 meters width,3.5 meters high.

@woody! - it was SantiSuk who indroduced imperial unit "inch" into his post,not me?would you apologize?

And what are we arguing about?

About typos!

Is it worth of our time?Lets forget it.

Yep - I do know the difference (you have to in Thailand and I am a Brit so we are used to both). But I can't read :rolleyes:. 37m width should be well sufficient!

OK, so I too am a Brit, and yes I have worked in Thailand several times.I agree with your post, but the fact of the matter remains that as long as dual measuring (conversion) methods apply, in a country that isn't especially known for, "multi tasking", we can only look forward to further problems!!

As for the 37m......................let's wait and see............and hope for the best!!!!

Realised today that there had been a lot of activity in tipping of assorted spoil around the airport for some four to six weeks prior to this current flooding. The thought crossed my mind at the time possibly this spoil was intended as landfill for the proposed further airport extension. Then today I realised the siting of the spoil tip had no bearing on the proposed extension works.

Makes one wonder whether or not the plans had already been made to sacrifice the rural areas to save Bangkok and of course the airport at any cost .

Lab Kabang had suffered flooding in a number of areas around K.M.I..T.L and the local railway station near Lad Krabang school too, around the time the spoil tipping commenced , I know that is a true fact as I drove through that flooding for around a week on a daily basis

Indeed the truth regarding that which was done along with that which is being done and that which will be done regarding flooding and its impact on Thaland and its people is indeed a rare resource much like hens teeth and as effective as herding cats in its application.

Edited by siampolee

You should be mindfull reading press notes here,they made it 23.5 meters long,but it is 23.5 kilometers long and you have no objection?they did not use unit "inch" - you did it,they said - 37 meters width,3.5 meters high.

@woody! - it was SantiSuk who indroduced imperial unit "inch" into his post,not me?would you apologize?

And what are we arguing about?

About typos!

Is it worth of our time?Lets forget it.

Apologies BabySun, no malice intended, just poor internet ettiquete on my behalf.

I'm not arguing about anything, or minor typos, just very concerned and don't believe half the BS I read!!!

Your right, arguing is not worth the time, but pointing out blatant mistakes in reports (which we are meant to belive is!!!)

Peace, and good luck!

In Thailand believe 0% of what you hear, and about 50% of what you actually see!! Trust me, this will stand you in good stead!!