Quail Farming

andycrosby

If anyone wants to start quail farming, I can help you. The nice thing is you only need a very small space. They lay a very large egg compared to there body size. I keep 1,000 girls if I could sell more eggs in my area id keep a lot more, but i live near a very small town. They are cheep to feed cost is about 200 baht a day we sell eggs for 1 or 2 baht each 1 baht wholesale and 2 baht cooked. 800- 1500 is very nice in your pocket every day for about one hours work. There is a lot more info here http://www.thai-farm.com/guinea-fowl/ feel free to ask me any Questions you may have.

How many eggs per day does each bird lay per day, and how old are they when you buy them?

And, indeed at what age do they become uneconomical to keep when they reduce/stop laying?

The reason i ask is, i cant get my head around the figures you mention, both here and on that website you linked to, in terms of both profit and workload.

Does your profit figures take into account that, assuming you buy them as chicks,that there is no profit for 40-50 days, and you are paying to feed and shelter them in that time?

Does this "about an hour a day" include the cleaning of all the pooh and piss of the 1,000 birds on a daily basis? And how are the eggs collected from those cages on that website?

From what i know of intensive farming (even on a small scale as this) all equipment and buildings need to be kept clean. Scrupulously so, in fact. Otherwise any bird getting an infectionfromdirty equipment will soon infect all the others. Seems to indicate a lot more time needs to be spent than just an hour or so a day.......no?

Tne phrases of "easy money" and"Thai farming" dont sit too well together, either.

Not wanting to doubt you, but, i just cant see it being that simple to make that much clear profit for such little effort

I am willing to be enlightened, as i am sure others are.

Penkoprod

Hey, thanks for the link. Some nifty info gathered in one place. OP is straight forward on his blog, doesn't seem to be trying to push a product. Not into fowl farming myself, but good info to know. BTW, how noisy are these quails?

Ok ill try and answer everyone at once

The birds lay one egg sometimes 2 a day

birds cost 25 -40 baht each at a month old depends where you buy them from and what they are we keep Italian laying Quail that are good for what we want

Quail lay at just 7 weeks old yes 7 weeks old

So you feed them for just 21 more days after buying them

When there done laying they are very large and you sell them for about 25 baht so the next lot cost next to nothing to renew. I eat mine there better than chicken

cleaning the poo it drops on the floor shovel done the lot in 5 mins flat , there quail not chang

The poo can be sold as well I think she just told me she gets 8 baht a KG

laying life span is one year same as a chicken

Thai people fail with quail 2 reasons they dont turn on the light at night and they feed poor quality food 20% pro is the min they need dont cut corners it costs more money in the end

cages are built so eggs roll out the front food is fed over the top of the food water at the back in plastic tubs lift out throw away refill can do all in 10 mins

The only problem is sparrows steal the food and can bring pests with them. so you have to stop them very fast half inch mesh works fine

The noise is more or less nothing unless you keep males they call out but used to be kept for there song, its not bad at all.

I am not here to sell you anything, but if you want help its here, Ive seen frogs on here and insects and all manor of wonderfull shit , here is something you can make money at as long as your not near me ill help you If you live within 30 clicks Ill sell eggs at cost till your out of quail farming its that simple.

Andy,

Dont worry about the "well read" nay sayers. You offer a good product and source of knowledge on the birds you keep. Good luck to you keep up the good work.

For people who read this forum trying to learn or gain information, listen to those actually doing it. Give those who offer uninformed opinions and caustic doubts the big air swing. As JC stated, there is no easy money in farming here, or anywhere else. It has me stuffed why anyone would try to limit the opportunities of someone else giving it an honest shot.

Ok ill try and answer everyone at once

The birds lay one egg sometimes 2 a day

birds cost 25 -40 baht each at a month old depends where you buy them from and what they are we keep Italian laying Quail that are good for what we want

Quail lay at just 7 weeks old yes 7 weeks old

So you feed them for just 21 more days after buying them

When there done laying they are very large and you sell them for about 25 baht so the next lot cost next to nothing to renew. I eat mine there better than chicken

cleaning the poo it drops on the floor shovel done the lot in 5 mins flat , there quail not chang

The poo can be sold as well I think she just told me she gets 8 baht a KG

laying life span is one year same as a chicken

Thai people fail with quail 2 reasons they dont turn on the light at night and they feed poor quality food 20% pro is the min they need dont cut corners it costs more money in the end

cages are built so eggs roll out the front food is fed over the top of the food water at the back in plastic tubs lift out throw away refill can do all in 10 mins

The only problem is sparrows steal the food and can bring pests with them. so you have to stop them very fast half inch mesh works fine

The noise is more or less nothing unless you keep males they call out but used to be kept for there song, its not bad at all.

I am not here to sell you anything, but if you want help its here, Ive seen frogs on here and insects and all manor of wonderfull shit , here is something you can make money at as long as your not near me ill help you If you live within 30 clicks Ill sell eggs at cost till your out of quail farming its that simple.

Have you been taking lessons from CP andy? :lol:

I think I wrote some of CPs Material and under handed ways to get rid of competitors , need any nasty marketing tips I am your man ,,,, Last resort is a drive by ...LOL ,

Just seen CP are the main player in 7/11 now, Its tuff at the top ..

You got that right, amigo. CP pretty much rules Koh Chang and the adjacent mainland. Many years ago they teamed up with a puu yai on the island and never looked back. Their influence stretches far and wide. They own, control or have interests in everything from the small Mom & Pop fruit/veggy farms, large and small fish & shrimp farms, a few resorts, the 7-11's (and larger) stores and the ferries--except the one that survived despite their hostile-takeover attempts (Centerpoint).

As to CP endorsed/sponsored drive-by's...well, they've been known to happen now and then :whistling:

Edited by cloghead

Quail (nok kratha)

I did have 500 birds during the time i was doing RIR layers (Rhone Island Red)...It is true that they are very easy to manage, they don't eat very much so the work are no tedious. My quails farm cages are raised, the flat gound are sloped down to a drainage very much like in the pig pen, drainage runs to a 2m x 1m x 30cm ditch, ditch floor are concreted with a corner excess water drainage pipe. Waste are hosed off to the drain and dried in the ditch under the sun then bagged for sales. Raising quails are like raising RIR, but workload is 1 tenth of RIR, raising system is the same, need to switch on light to stimulate day light to better production performance of eggs, lights off at midnight (auto-timer switch). Although work hours is only less than 2 hours per day, but like RIR farming, constance checking and inspection is required.

Quail eggs retail price is very stable, 10+ years ago and present date, it is still ฿1/egg, ฿2/ cooked egg.

It's a different story if wholesale due to the ever raising feed price. Quail egg farming - retail is the prefered path. I sold my to food stalls selling Fish Mao soup ( Kerpor Pla), income from retailing fresh quail egg was ฿400-฿650/day.

You got that right, amigo. CP pretty much rules Koh Chang and the adjacent mainland. Many years ago they teamed up with a puu yai on the island and never looked back. Their influence stretches far and wide. They own, control or have interests in everything from the small Mom & Pop fruit/veggy farms, large and small fish & shrimp farms, a few resorts, the 7-11's (and larger) stores and the ferries--except the one that survived despite their hostile-takeover attempts (Centerpoint).

As to CP endorsed/sponsored drive-by's...well, they've been known to happen now and then :whistling:

Bad news from our food supplier,Centagrow and Bettagrow not producing feed for at least 3 months.

We much to my distaste had to settle for CP pellets at a 20 baht bag premium, not looking forward to the eventual price if the other manufacturers are not producing.

I started Farning quail long before I came to Thailand, I used them for research on my thesis paper for my Genetics Degree, when I was just a pup. We (Me, the wife and her Family ) have been Quail farming for about 5-6 years. I have only just returned to farming full time for the past 8 months as I was working full time in Scuba -Diving in Thailand for the past 7 years but sold up and returned to the north for a Part time job back in Genetics

Bird flu no hence the foot note on sparrows

• 1 month later...

I started Farning quail long before I came to Thailand, I used them for research on my thesis paper for my Genetics Degree, when I was just a pup. We (Me, the wife and her Family ) have been Quail farming for about 5-6 years. I have only just returned to farming full time for the past 8 months as I was working full time in Scuba -Diving in Thailand for the past 7 years but sold up and returned to the north for a Part time job back in Genetics

Bird flu no hence the foot note on sparrows

I used to have some wild California Quail living around the yard when I was a kid. Really fun to watch, and every year they would have a couple batches of little baby quail trailing behind the mother. They lived in a big bush right outside our door, no one ever fed them, they just found their own food.

If I had enough land I would love to get some Quail to free range.... (collecting the eggs would probably not be possible, but they do eat a lot of bugs :D)

Edited by mo99

They are not the same kind of Quail. The Quail that we keep do not have babys, they are bred to lay eggs all year round to sit on eggs would be a fault and they also fly very well. As they migrate in there wild form so your stock could end up back in Japan.

If you wanted something that hangs around all day, eat insects and that never leaves start giving bottles of chang to the Thai locals out of the village. LOL

They are not the same kind of Quail. The Quail that we keep do not have babys, they are bred to lay eggs all year round to sit on eggs would be a fault and they also fly very well. As they migrate in there wild form so your stock could end up back in Japan.

If you wanted something that hangs around all day, eat insects and that never leaves start giving bottles of chang to the Thai locals out of the village. LOL

LOL, probably true...

The Quail that lived around my house did not migrate though, but they most likely laid very few eggs in comparison, so not really useful for farming (also they were impossible to catch, even if they rarely flew)