Cheaper Tiles Suitable For Swimming Pools

AllanB

We are half way through an "infinity" pool build and are looking at what tiles to use inside the pool. Bespoke "Pool tiles" are very expensive here and difficult to obtain, so we are considering highly glazed ceramic floor tiles, which are resonably priced, off the shelf and available in many designs and colours.

The adhesion side is not a problem as we will be using a waterproof hard cement and waterproofed grout, so what other issues are there? I know there are a lot of problems with mozaics (falling off), which I personally hate the look of anyway and they have a huge amount of grout, which is not at all attractive.

The only thing I have read is a moisture absorbtion figure of less that 3%, but can't see that is an issue given that we are not using tile cement.

Forget them if you don't want to re-tile in a hurry.

Pool tiles have a larger graze that normal interior tiles and the glaze on these can be eaten of with in a yr.

I am involved with swimming pools in Thailand and have been with commercial pools for over 15 yrs in Oz and NZ.

Wear the cost and you will get what you pay for (so to speak)

Pm me with your email if you want more info and a chat.

• 1 month later...

Khon Kaen seems pretty hopeless for pool tiles, anyone know of a national supplier who can give me a decent price?

I don't want mozaics, they fall off (not my words) and grouting is a nightmare, may as well just grout the concrete.

4"x4" would be nice, plain colours, or other alternatives.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Khon Kaen seems pretty hopeless for pool tiles, anyone know of a national supplier who can give me a decent price?

I don't want mozaics, they fall off (not my words) and grouting is a nightmare, may as well just grout the concrete.

4"x4" would be nice, plain colours, or other alternatives.

Thanks

The cheapest ones are about 350 per box. 4", shiny, flat & thin, light blue, dark blue, black, white, ivory. They do not look as nice as Keera, Sri Thanee or others that come from Lamphang but are very practical & will last for years.