Spanish Schengen Inquiry

Hi

Can anybody help? Firstly, my wife has her appointment to apply for a Schengen visa to Spain at the Spanish embassy on Wednesday. We are planning on travelling there by train(from Udon Thani to Hualamphong) does anybody know if this route is still open? I've tried calling the rail company but can't get through. Also the embassy is in the Lake Rajada Office complex near the Asok BTS skytrain station. Has this and the Nana areas been badly affected by the floods?

My second question arises after weeks and weeks of cat and mouse with the Spanish embassy, trying to coax them into telling me how to correctly legalize my documents for their approval(different from everyone else apparently!). I finally got a result...the only thing that concerns me now is that they will ask my wife for proof of travel i.e. return tickets. Now, obviously we are reluctant to splash out on air fares without receiving the visa first. Are they legally allowed under EU law to ask my wife for this? Return or one way? She is the spouse of an EU citizen. I have heard from several sources saying 'that there is no legal requirement to produce proof of travel i.e.air tickets.' But I'd really like to go in armed with a juicy piece of EU law to wave under their noses, should the situation arise. I've studied Directive 2004/38/EC and couldn't pinpoint anything...I must admit that I did begin to glaze over after the first page..it's hardly Alistair Maclean. Where can I find concrete evidence that they cannot ask us for this?

I'd be very grateful for any help!

Thanksbiggrin.gif

Applicant's passport, 2 x photos, application form, original marriage cert + copy and your passport + copy of bio data page is all that's needed.

Edit: no point going in guns blazing quoting EU law. If they ask for anything else just politely tell them it's not required under EU law. If they won't relent remind them you can take the issue to SOLVIT and they will have to explain themselves to the European Commission.

Edited by bangkockney

Some of them do try ignore Schengen rules and ask for stuff they are not entitled to. She is entitled not to complete the asterixed questions on the form that EU family members don't have to fill in but they are still entitled to ask questions about the itinerary and her financial status in an interview. I don't think they will ask for proof of travel bookings but if I were you, I would prepare an itinerary that your wife can refer to, if she is asked where she is going and when. She should appear clued up about the purpose of the trip. You can refer to real flights and hotels you intend to book, after she gets the visa.

Applicant's passport, 2 x photos, application form, original marriage cert + copy and your passport + copy of bio data page is all that's needed.

Edit: no point going in guns blazing quoting EU law. If they ask for anything else just politely tell them it's not required under EU law. If they won't relent remind them you can take the issue to SOLVIT and they will have to explain themselves to the European Commission.

Sure some comments like that would make the OP the darling of the visa section.

Edit to add:I think you will be asked to show proof of tickets when the visa is approved and you go pick up the Passport.

Edited by janverbeem

Sure some comments like that would make the OP the darling of the visa section.

Edit to add:I think you will be asked to show proof of tickets when the visa is approved and you go pick up the Passport.

No.